Sunday, October 22, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: DesertXplorer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1979

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 75
Total: 76
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: BucketBoy > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Disruptor wrote:
Are exploring Asbestos shafts safe? I know there are some Uranium mines around too.

The milling of the asbestos would produce fibers in the air, but this stuff is solid. There probably hasn't been any mining done there in 50years.

The trail up and area around the mine is beautiful and couldn't be any danger. I don't think a walk through the mine should be any cause for concern either though.
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

FatRat wrote:
Of course, I don't know what it is like in it's natural raw form. I have never seen it in that state.

Come on out Saturday and find out :->

KF7YII
nofords08
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

is this run happening?

Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

nofords08 wrote:
is this run happening?

Oh, yeah. Come on over to the other thread.

www.azfj.org/index.php...pic&t=5576
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

FYI

My new Terra Grapplers should be in this week.

After that I will fear no snow or mud ... up to a point of course. Rolling Eyes

I really want to get all the way up to Asbestos Point and now that I'll have more traction I don't have to wait until summer.

If I can work this in as a non member run I will.

I'll keep you all posted. Very Happy
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Schedule it, and they will come.

KF7YII
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

We came, we saw, we conquered! I didn't really get a chance to plan ahead for a group though. Sad

It was either this or another trail today for my wife, grandson, and I and this was it. We finished the climb. Very Happy

There was only one other vehicle on the trail, a Jeep set up rock crawler stlye. No fenders, lifted, and large tires. The relics in the pic looked like maybe it was an oven for cooking meals for the mine workers.

We made it to the top this time Exclamation Beyond that tree ahead is a cliff.

This was the only equipment that remained, scrape, scoop, shovel, maybe it was a loader. Only the body of it remains. Down below ... way below, is Roosevelt lake.

Here's the up close view of the asbestos dumps, the "Angel Wings".

I looked in several mine shafts, and included one of them for this thread;

I would recommend this trail for anyone with a stock FJ that includes A-Trac and Diff Lock. Picking the right line, your stocker can do this with only pin stripes, and maybe a slight scrape here and there underneath. I picked up a very minor ding on the skid plate this pass, but there are obstacles which will use up all available clearance ... and nothing more, if you pick just the right line. I ran the top 1/2 of the trail in low range, A-Trac, and Diff locked. The lower 1/2 was 4x4 high, open diffs.

Not only is this a great trail for testing your stocker, but this is a beautiful area with an incredible views from the top and lots of camping spots. Unfortunately during dry years like this one the stream in the canyon isn't running. For those with more tricked out rigs, you'll still enjoy this. As a plus, there are lots of opportunities for posing on rocks. The jeeper showed me one of his he took up there. Laughing
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Did you go into the shaft that has the bed set up in a room of to the side?
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Beautiful, very nice!

KF7YII
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Damn, i forgot about run. Would like to do it sometime
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Same here. Put it together Bruce.
FJHavoc
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

x2

That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
-William Shakespeare
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

nimrag wrote:
Did you go into the shaft that has the bed set up in a room of to the side?

Yeah, I did. But I used a flash inside, and overall I liked the look of the ones I posted better.

The one with the bed is interesting because the shaft looks like it can be enclosed for a living area with inner and outer doors.

I can post those pics up too if non-members would like to see them.

There are a few side trails to explore too, both at the mine and on the way up. I went out one looking to find standing cabins. The only remains are close to the mine and they are down.

Great fun. Very Happy

Now however I am going to wash my FJ, and try to wax out as many scratches as I can. Embarassed
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

We took a road up above the mining area and there is kinda a camp up there. Nobody was there, but it looked like large groups go up there and stay for awhile.
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Here's an update on the tracked piece of equipment up there.

A guy I work with is a Boy Scout Troop leader and has taken his Troop up to Asbestos Point. He's pretty knowledgable about local history, cliff dwellings, Etc.

He said the machine was attached to a dragline and used to pull loaded ore cars out of the shafts of the mine(s). There are a number of horizontal shafts along the access road and this thing would roll on it's tracks over to whichever one needed an ore car pulled out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: