Sunday, September 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Richie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1971

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 44
Total: 44
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

I've done this trail a few times. The last time was about 20 YEARS AGO. The trail has gotten worse of course. I did this drive yesterday. I reduced the pictures to 1000 x 750 to conserve space. I hope they are OK.

This trail is on the road to Young, not too many miles after crossing the salt river headed north. It's a few miles north of the A-Cross road. You travel past the drainages area (on your left) then enter a canyon with an unmarked trail to your right. This is trail #489 in the following map.

This is what you'll see from the Salt River / Roosevelt Lake (the south side). The white dumps are from the abandoned Asbestos mine high up the mountain.

The trail climbs up the canyon and the north face of the mountain. I had to do my own spotting since asking my wife to look out her window was all the help I got. I'd walk a section then drive it. Taking this approach I ended up only taking picutres during the return trip, down the mountain.

So the first pic is where I decided to turn around. I found the limits of my FJ. That limit is the tires. Sad There had been one snow storm so far and I had hoped for a dry trail. Unfortunately the canyon was on the north face and didn't get any sun. About 2/3 up to the summit the ground was still saturated from the storm.

This is where I turned around. Ahead was a two stage climb through medium to large rocks with slick mud in between.

The following pic was taken at the climb just before the preceding pic. You can see the beginning of the snow here. There's a rock to the left of the leaning tree on the right in the picture. It's has a vertical face on it. In low range, A-Trac on, Dif locked, and slick mud on the tires I was only able to move sideways. Backing up slightly, using a bit of momentum I cleared it. There was an added obstacle that's kind of deceptive in the picture. Ahead and to the left is a flatened loose rock laying down. It's bigger than it looks. I'm sure it would hit at least the differential, it rocks side to side and it's close to 3ft across, probably several hundred pounds. So I had to make sure only my tire hit it. Smile The next climb was alot muddier and steeper so I called it quits.

This shows an easy section and one of the numerous trees that had been cut through to keep this trail open. I don't think any of this maintenance was official though.

Here's some images heading back down the trail to the Young Road.

My FJ is now officially pinstripped and I managed to slightly flatten this (what's it called? is it just protective? it doesn't look like it would provide much support):

This is a beautiful area with a spectacular view from the mine at the top. I was told that as of 3 years ago there were still cabins left from when the mine was in operation.

With a lift and proper tires, spotting might not be needed. (go for it!)

For those of us with no mud grips summer would be a better choice.

Interestingly the only other vehicle I saw was a Taco coming down. Go Toyota! Very Happy

Last edited by tanman on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Another one for the list!

Nice scenery, and it has trees and mud... Weird stuff!

KF7YII
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Lonibor1 and I were up there about 5 months ago. Cool area and strange/interesting rocks inside the mines!
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Alright Nimrag! Yeah it's a neat spot. I'll wait until either dry weather or I have too much disposable income and buy some beefier treads.

Back in the day you could enter one shaft and connect with another coming out a different opening. As I remember a cavein closed that route.

Are there any buildings or equipment left?

Last edited by tanman on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

conejo wrote:
Another one for the list!

Nice scenery, and it has trees and mud... Weird stuff!

Conejo ... you can do it! You have tires man. Cool

Don't try it covered in snow though. There would be way too many hidden obstacles.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

The piece of metal you scraped is to protect your cats. I am sure the rock that scraped it would have caused a nice injury to the cat!

One of the shafts has a bed in it and several still had ore car tracks. There is one piece of equipment left, but I don't know what it was. Looks like it could be a crane. It has tank tracks and a cage to stand in with the controls, but no attachments.

The white tailings are referred to as angel wings, from what we were told.
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

nimrag wrote:
The piece of metal you scraped is to protect your cats. I am sure the rock that scraped it would have caused a nice injury to the cat!

One of the shafts has a bed in it and several still had ore car tracks. There is one piece of equipment left, but I don't know what it was. Looks like it could be a crane. It has tank tracks and a cage to stand in with the controls, but no attachments.

The white tailings are referred to as angel wings, from what we were told.

Thanks.

There were a few shacks left 20yrs go. I don't know what that equipment is either since it doesn't look like a shovel, maybe a scraper.

I'm glad you like the Anchas too. Smile
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

They are far , but have some good places that havent been destroyed, like stuff close to Fenix!
BaconScout
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Thanks for posting!

I have done some hiking in the Sierra Anchas and really enjoyed the area.

desertchameleon
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Looks like fun. Thanks for the write up.
Post a run and you'll get plenty of spotters.
Disruptor
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Great trail report! Thank you. Whats the Trail time and whats the total time from PHX to there and back?

C-Fish wrote:
Best quote...last video.
"Give it alot of gas and turn that way"... Shocked
Said by me spotting on the last Obstacle going up the Back Way to Crown King.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

I would say at least 2 hours to/from Phoenix. And 3-4 hours on the trail to allow for exploring the shafts.
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Sounds about right.

I'll have to wait until spring with these tires. Wink

Remember the snow warning Exclamation

For any non-members that get up there before I do, feel free to add more pics from the upper trail and mine area. Smile
Disruptor
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

nimrag wrote:
I would say at least 2 hours to/from Phoenix. And 3-4 hours on the trail to allow for exploring the shafts.

Are exploring Asbestos shafts safe? I know there are some Uranium mines around too.

C-Fish wrote:
Best quote...last video.
"Give it alot of gas and turn that way"... Shocked
Said by me spotting on the last Obstacle going up the Back Way to Crown King.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point in Sierra Anchas - 2.5 Reply with quote

Disruptor wrote:
nimrag wrote:

Are exploring Asbestos shafts safe? I know there are some Uranium mines around too.

my experience with asbestos while doing construction was that as long as you didn't disturb it and cause it to become airborne then you are fine. Once it become airborne it gets into your lungs and then the nasty starts. Of course, I don't know what it is like in it's natural raw form. I have never seen it in that state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: