Tuesday, December 11, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: jameswise
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2065

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 90
Total: 90
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Cameras and Monitors
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Cameras and Monitors
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

I am trying to wire my latest project and need some advice. I have 4 cameras and monitors that I want to hook up to individual switches to turn on and off whenever I need them. I'm looking for a good power source that can run everything, but can't seem to find one. I've tried the littlefuse method, but none of the slots I've tried seem to work. Do any of you know where I can tap into for power and where I can ground everything near the driver's kick panel? I'm also wondering if I will need a relay for everything. To me, it wouldn't seem like the cameras and monitors would draw enough power to justify a relay, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the help!
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

PM Don (puulboy) he has an insane camera and monitor setup. He will be able to point you in the right direction...

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

Personally, I recommend to go straight to the battery.

Battery 12V to Aftermarket Fuse Panel to Relay (if needed) to Camera System

The relay would only be needed if you wanted to do a ACC 'Start' on the Camera System. If you want to be able to run the cameras without having the key in the ignition or you don't care about checking a on/off switch every time you get out of the truck, then a relay is not needed, given that the on/off switch can handle the amps of the camera system.

Ground:
You can get a really good ground in the drivers kick panel, there is a factory ground right there but your so close to the battery, you might as well run a ground through the firewall. It sounds harder than it is...

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
bushwacker
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

If you are planning on doing a lot of future mods that require power. I recommend installing an auxiliary fuse block and running monster cables direct from your battery with a 250amp inline fuse to your center counsel.
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

Here is the fuse block I added under the driverside. Only works for the auto since the clutch pedal is in the way. All six spaces are now full. I ran from the battery with a inline 100amp circuit breaker for power then ran a negative to a factory location.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
bushwacker
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

That is the one. I found this at a Marine Parts store on Bell Road and I got my main power wires from a car stereo store. It was a little pricey but I have a great Aux Power source now for pretty much anything. Fog Lights, Driving Lights, Go Lights, CB, Rear Back-up Lights, and Rock Crawler lights. I also bought some LED switches from a Scion Store and used the bank of (4) switches above the center counsel.
desert_fj
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

Great location Tim I may steal your idea.
FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

If you ask nice I bet he would send u the template for the mount.

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...261,000 miles
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

desert_fj wrote:
Great location Tim I may steal your idea.

It's yours for the taking. If you need the template I can e-mail it to you or if it is something you want to do for sure I can make the mount and send that to you. The mounting bolts are already there, you just need the nylock nuts. M6 is the size if I recall. If you are coming to Sedonafest I can bring a bracket then as well.

AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

Wow, thanks everyone! That is a great idea and location, Tim. I just found the fuse block on West Marine's website, that is a pretty sweet setup. It looks like there are two options, a block with a ground bus and one without. What is a ground bus?

It looks you're running 10 or 12 guage wire directly to the battery with the inline fuse, is that right? Where is the ground connection in the engine compartment? I don't think we're supposed to connect to the negative terminal on the battery itself, right?

With this setup, the parts plugged into it can operate at any time with or without the car running?
FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

I ran 6 gauge and used a 100 amp circuit breaker next to the battery. All connects to battery.

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...261,000 miles
AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

Do you think 8 gauge with an 80 amp fuse would be sufficient?
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

AZRich wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone! That is a great idea and location, Tim. I just found the fuse block on West Marine's website, that is a pretty sweet setup. It looks like there are two options, a block with a ground bus and one without. What is a ground bus?

It looks you're running 10 or 12 guage wire directly to the battery with the inline fuse, is that right? Where is the ground connection in the engine compartment? I don't think we're supposed to connect to the negative terminal on the battery itself, right?

With this setup, the parts plugged into it can operate at any time with or without the car running?

First to be technical - there is no ground in a vehicle since it is not connected to the earth. It is only a negative. You will want one with a(ground) negative bus so you can run all the negative wires to that location. I ran a wire from the fuse block to a negative location in the engine bay. Look on the drivers side fender near the hood lift assist. You should see two threaded nuts. I used one of those for the negative wire.
That also where I mounted the 100amp circuit breaker on a homemade bracket. You will want to put the fuse/breaker close to the battery.

I used 10 ga. at first but have since changed to 8 ga. since the number of accessories has increased. 8 ga. is recommened by Blue Sea for that fuse block. Yes I can run all the accessories without the vehicle running or the key in the ignition. I will try to post up some more pics after work today.

AZRich wrote:
Do you think 8 gauge with an 80 amp fuse would be sufficient?

Figure out the amp load you will be pulling and fuse to that. I ran 100amp because I wasn't sure what exactly I would be using. 8 ga. should be fine.

I am no electrical guru so if I have said anything incorrect someone please speak up.

AZRich
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cameras and Monitors Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks, Tim!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: