Friday, July 28, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: kyle.hoefer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1949

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 84
Total: 84
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Vendor/dealership Reviews › Sierra Expeditions
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Sierra Expeditions
Review all local vendors here. One thread per vendor.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexVendor/dealership Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1leglance
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

Even though there isn't a retail shop to visit yet Wil & Wendy have plans to expand their internet operations someday to include a brink & mortar place including an installation & fabrication setup.
For now they carry some cool stuff for overland travel and offroading. Not to mention since they are based in Arizona shipping times are usually short unless something has to come from the manufacturer. There is AZ sales tax but at least you know you are supporting a local family biz.
www.sierraexpeditions.com
I know some of you saw them at the Four Peaks Cleanup and I am sure you will see them again on the trail.

Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

There is tax, but they will not charge you shipping if you pick up from them! I'm not sure if that goes for all things they sell, but they did offer me that option when I called. Definitely a good local company and very helpful on the phone.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

The only thing I've ever gotten from them is my G4 sticker, but they've got some cool stuff on their site... plus the word in various online communities is EXTREMELY positive about them in all respects.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Finchy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

thanks for this post. great site. Anybody use the SPOT handheld sat messinger? That looks like a great alternative to a sat phone for emergency situations.
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

Lance and I both use that. My personal thought on it so far is that it's very picky about it's direct line of sight to the sky. This has less to do with the GPS functionality than it does with the fact that it communicates with a single sat to send messages. It does work well though and in my mind you can't beat sat communication for the ultimate in recovery.

However, it's not really "two way" like a sat phone. Basically you get four options (assuming you pay for all the extra features).

Help - send a predetermined help message to a list of people you set on your account. It will include your preset message and GPS cords. This is good for if you run out of gas or possibly stuck somewhere but don't want to call down the rescue squad just yet.

OK - Sends a predetermined "OK" message to a list of people you set on your account. This is nothing but a "hey mom/wife/husband I'm ok and here are my gps cordinates". Just a single message to let loved ones know you're safe

Track - This sends a location to your account every 10 min (I think it's every 10 min). This is kinda nice if you want someone to be able to follow your progress of where you are without having to manually send an OK every time you stop. The problem with this feature is that the person you want to see the messages must be logged into your SPOT account. IT does not email these or send them out. SPOT support engineers are trying to make this better currently, so you can give someone else a view only account or have other options. This is a nice option, but it does cost extra.

911 - This is the standard call the police I need help as quickly as possible alert. It will continue to broadcast your message and help signal until the batteries die (I think like two weeks if new?). The recovery monitoring center (forget who does it for them) will contact the necessary people to find and locate you and get you the help you need.

Hope that helps.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

I wonder how far we're away from having sat phones being commonplace? Kinda seems like the next logical step after cell phones.

Sorry for the off topic, thinking out loud.
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

To get this thread back on track... Extra Kudos sierra expeditions. They hand delivered some new goodies to my house today for free! I don't know any business willing to do this. They are extremely nice on the phone and are willing to give you honest reviews on anything you're looking for. They can get just about anything and have an 8% sale going on right now. I can't recommend them enough. I really hope they open a local shop, they really run a top notch business.

Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

Yes, I want to echo what Josh said, Wil came by today to drop off our stuff and he was extremely nice and helpful. Plus he let me poke around his super cool outfitted Taco which was just amazing...he is willing to help and will even send you to another company if they have what fits your needs the best.

Everyone go buy stuff from them now!

Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! That means a lot!

shen
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

I didnt even realize this thread existed, so I'll share my experience a little late.

I have nothing but great things to say about Wil and Wendy. Wendy was quick to respond to questions over email, and Wil even went so far as to meet me somewhere to bring me the stuff I ordered. He then spent probably a half hour talking about various questions I had about other products.

SinCityFJC
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

I've have had great dealings with Wil & Wen since back in the Adv4x4 days. I recently got a pair of Pico chairs from them after seeing Lances demo @ HnB.

Tread Lightly Tread Trainer
VV4W Communications Officer
Member of SNLC - TLCA - UFWDA
Honu
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

lets keep it going Wink

love them great people and service Smile

have had a few orders with them and everything was great Smile
TuskenRaider
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

Excellent service, they delivered to my house! Earned my business for life.
fjlurch
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

Once again excellent service, thanks for delivering the Baja Rack. Wendy and Wil are great.
FlyingWil
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sierra Expeditions Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys!!!

You guys rock!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Vendor/dealership Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: