Thursday, August 17, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 39
Total: 39
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Synopsis

El Oso is a dirt road that travels through the four peaks recreational area just north east of Phoenix off the 87. The area is extremely beautiful with high mountains, several stream crossings, and lots of random OHV roads that can be fun offshoots from the main drive. There are lots of locations to stop and camp, but during holidays and weekends the area can see a lot of traffic. It's extremely popular with ATV and offroad drivers. Due to this, there can be times which the area is highly disrespected. Please help this area stay clean and do your part by picking up after yourself and others when you can. Please try to stay on obvious roads and trails and tread lightly. This area is absolutely beautiful and it would be a shame to see any of these roads close.

Group Size:

Really any size is pretty good for this trail. In most areas there is always good spots to turn around or let others pass. Larger groups would be fine on this trail. Just look out for ATVs and other vehicles, this is a very popular area.

Difficulty

1.5 - Easy and very scenic trail. For a stock 2wd fj this would be no problem most of the year. During the winter months expect to see snow possibly making the higher points on the trail dangerous for people with tires that don't do well in those conditions. During the wetter times of the year expect to cross several streams and see lots of mud. We went during a pretty wet season and I didn't cross anything difficult. With stock tires 4wd might make some water or mud crossings easier, but certainly not impassable.

Length

27.5 miles one way

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures

R2 in front of the four peaks mountains.

What a view, spot the fjs

Optional Hill climb OHV trail off of El Oso

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail

During Presidents day 2008 we ended up doing this trail and others.

azfj.org/index.php?nam...opic&t=437

GPS Track

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Explorer_Mc
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

It looks like you take cline cabin rd. to get to el oso? Is that right?
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Hmm honestly I don't know what Cline Cabin Rd is, but if you look at the GPX (you should be able to open this in google earth) you can get to the "beginning" from 188 or the 87.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Explorer_Mc
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Okay. I see. Google map shows El Oso connecting to 187 but there looks like a different road to get to it from the 87. Thanks.
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Oh I'm sure there's other backroad options that connect up to it. It just connects those two together so they are good starting points.

NEMISI5
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

How do u get to this trail from lake pleasant? I'm looking to do this soon and want to make sure I don't get lost on the way?

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

captain_fj wrote:
How do u get to this trail from lake pleasant? I'm looking to do this soon and want to make sure I don't get lost on the way?

Lake Pleasant is in the north valley. Hwy 87 is road to Payson. It leaves from the far east valley. Google Search does wonders.

check link

El Oso
Jagaliscious
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

captain_fj wrote:

Please don't go alone!!!

Angry_Tim wrote:
I have a nice crack about 8 inches long

Johanlee wrote:
Correctly grasp the narrow mountain road.
blatant
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

lol, this made me laugh...lake pleasant...4 peaks... just lol.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

blatant wrote:
lol, this made me laugh...lake pleasant...4 peaks... just lol.

If the Verde is low enough to be crossed, it would be able to be done! Mostly dirt with a little pavement!
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

This gives me an idea for another Overland Adventure....TM to Payson to Mesa.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Lake Pleasant to CK, down through Cleator, veer north to cross under the 17, and go out through Bloody Basin, then cut back down to Cave Creek by Seven Springs. That's a nice big 1 day loop. You can easily cut it into 2.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

You left out Payson, Doc...

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
Lake Pleasant to CK, down through Cleator, veer north to cross under the 17, and go out through Bloody Basin, then cut back down to Cave Creek by Seven Springs. That's a nice big 1 day loop. You can easily cut it into 2.

This does sound like a nice loop.

HMMMMM.....
SewerRatt
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: El OSo Rd (near phoenix/four peaks) - 1.5 Reply with quote

Fat_Rat wrote:
BellyDoc wrote:

This does sound like a nice loop.

HMMMMM.....

Why must you give him ideas. It's never good when he gets ideas. Lord help us all!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: