Monday, April 23, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Membership:
Latest: charlezevanildo
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2008

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 78
Total: 78
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Home related Electrical question
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Home related Electrical question
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Greetings all,

long time no talk to Smile

(back story)
Well I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm going to have the money to buy a welder very soon (Hobart 210 or 187) and they both require 220V on minimum of 20A+. In my garage I thought I had a 220V outlet, but it turns out it was a single socket with a 15A 125V circuit Sad

(problem)
So here's where I need some help. I have a couple ideas to add circuit or modify an existing one. Now without actually seeing my house running a new line to the garage is not an option right now as far as money goes. (I’m in a two story with no addict space and the breaker box is on the other side of the hose from the garage). And the dryer is up stairs so I can't just use that.

(solutions??)
Option 1 (that I can see):
Put a dedicated 30A 220V breaker in my box, and drop a socket at the box and make/buy a heavy duty extension cord (10 gage 3 wire) to run to the garage when I'm welding and them put away after I'm done.

Option 2:
Modify the water heater circuit (hope that's the right term). Right now it's a 25A 220V circuit in the garage, but there's not plug because it's wired right to the wall. So I was thinking of cutting the wire there adding a male connection to the heater, and then putting in a socket to plug in the heater and welder (not at the same time for obvious reasons). Then add a 30A breaker to the box in liu the 25A there now. Now I've been made aware the wiring in there might not be able to handle the added 5A increase.

Any options, suggestions, validation would be appreciated. Oh and both of the welders draw no more than 25A on their max settings.

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Buy a 110 volt welder and don't worry about the wiring job Idea
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

lol if it was that simple Smile

What I want to do (in the future) will require a heavier duty welder than that...

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

It's just SO Simple:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Are you building a tank? My Hobart handler 140 will weld up to a 1/4 " thick steel!
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
It's just SO Simple:

LOL - I hit that page this morning before I ran into the one I posted for BellyDoc.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
It's just SO Simple:

See now that makes sense thanks Smile

nimrag wrote:
Are you building a tank? My Hobart handler 140 will weld up to a 1/4 " thick steel!

At some point I might need to lol. Zombies and all Wink

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

The first option appears to be the easiest. You cannot add plug and receptacle to your water heater. That would completely violate NEC.

I friend of mine had the same problem and I built him an extension cord to go from the dryer receptacle to his welder in the garage. Not a bad setup considering it was used on an infrequent basis.

TLCA# 18990
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Hire a licensed electrican who knows the electrical code.

Your first option is the only one that will meet the electrical code if you care about that. It will work if you (1) have the space available in the main service panel- 42 overcurrent devices(breakers) max per 2008 National Electric Code Article 408.35. (2) What service is coming into the panel - 200 amp, 400 amp? What is the load on the main panel? Do you have enough left to add a 30 amp 220v circuit? (3) How long is the run on the extension cord? Will it create enough voltage drop to cause you a problem?

Your second option will not meet any type of electrical code at all. Not an option if you care about doing it right and to code.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

220v30a needs a new run.

Hire it out if you don't know how to do it correctly, this is plenty voltage/amperege to KILL you.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

I know a good electrician if you don't know one. He has done work for me several times!

The only zombies I ever encounter are whe I am answering the "call of duty"!
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Thank-you all for the comments. Since many of you are saying the same thing on the water heater idea I'll just go ahead and scrap that idea.

The other option is more along the lines of what I would want to do (since it would be dedicated rather than sharing the circut). But like my wife loves to remind me, money doesn't grow on trees so can't afford an elctrician to do this. Plus after talking with a couple people and a rep at my local HD store it doesn't seem that difficult and I would like to learn more about elctrical basics so doing it my self (with some supervision from relatives that know more) is my only option right now.

As for how far the extension cord would be, without measuring (I'm going to do that tonight) I would say 25'-35'. This is why I was thinking of going with a heavy gauge wire for that.

As for load I have no way of knowing that??? I have pictures on my phone of the breaker panel and will work on loading those for review in a just a min.

RunnerRick
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Taylor call me and we will get it handle step dads an electrician
Masada
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Sounds good Rick, I'll talk to you tonight.

In the mean time, here's the pics I have for reference...

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Home related Electrical question Reply with quote

Looks like you have plenty room to work....go buy the shit and have at it....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: