Sunday, April 30, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 44
Total: 44
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

GPX from our run yesterday. You view this online and then download in GPX or KML Format: Cherry Creek

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

Did this trail on Friday and Saturday to check out some ruins. There is one spot several miles north of the cliff dwellings that was kinda uncomfortable. On a narrow section of shelf road, there is a substantial wash out. On the drivers side is a vertical mountainside with so much soil that has washed down your at a pretty uncomfortable angle with less than a foot to the edge of the vertical drop off on the passenger side. Metal posts with reflectors have been placed around the washout, but they are almost in the way.

Just thought I would share this in case some one is heading out there.
BrentMG
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

Thanks for the post nimrag, I am heading up there this coming Friday.
It's not my first trip up there, but i am definitely a newbie when it comes to this majestic land.
about how many miles up until i should start seeing ruins, would you say?

www.flowsystemracing.com
www.uhhyeahdude.com
Seatbelts! Wink
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

BrentMG wrote:
Thanks for the post nimrag, I am heading up there this coming Friday.
It's not my first trip up there, but i am definitely a newbie when it comes to this majestic land.
about how many miles up until i should start seeing ruins, would you say?

There's a sign. You really can't miss it. I have no clue how many miles. Maybe 5 miles or less when you come out of the valley and head back up the mountain. I checked but don't have a waypoint where the sign is.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

The sign is at about 21.5 miles from hwy 288.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

That washout really is quite unsettling.
If you want to see the actual ruins, be prepared for a hike/climb/scramble.

Awesome place.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
That washout really is quite unsettling.
If you want to see the actual ruins, be prepared for a hike/climb/scramble.

Awesome place.

Did you do it going north or south? We where heading north. At that point backing out isn't a very good option, either.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

I was traveling from south to north. Did this last year sometime, I think it was june. Only got to about the 1/2 way point up the hike before one of my friends started getting sick so we had to abort. Continued driving north from there, came to the nasty washout then had all the passengers get out of the car (with emergency supplies) while I crossed that small section. I can be a bit overly paranoid when it comes to being responsible for people who are not me.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Maltajo
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

This sounds like a candidate for March's AZFJ second Saturday run!
What do you think Mother??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

Maltajo wrote:
This sounds like a candidate for March's AZFJ second Saturday run!
What do you think Mother??
That's quite a haul from Tucson. The hike to the really awesome ruins is not to be taken lightly either.
www.arizonaruins.com/s...chasm.html

I am planning to do a spring overnight just for these ruins, there are a few decent camp spots right at the trailhead.

Gone2Baja
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

This looks like a fun and relatively mild day trip especially the ruins, great info!
CampFJ
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

I've been wanting to do this.

w7jet
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

Cherry Creek is a great area in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness I have camped along Cherry Creek Road near some of the old mines its off FR-203 near the junction of FR2812. Lots of really great ruins some are really hard to get to.

"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: