Wednesday, July 26, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: kyle.hoefer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1949

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 88
Total: 89
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: ratfink > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRDjonnie
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Cherry Creek Canyon is a very desolate place and sees little traffic. It follows the eastern edge of the Sierra Ancha Wilderness, and with points along the way an eager hiker can hike up to the cliff dwellings located in the wilderness. The road itself is not maintained leading itself to mostly ATV traffic.

The road is a cut bank along the hill, and the only potential is having parts of the road either washed down or rocks from above washed on to the road. There are a few camp sites along the way, but due to its sideslope aspect, they are few.

Difficulty
Stock FJs should have no problems running the trail. There are only a few places where there is any careful consideration of tire placement is needed.

This trail would be know for its more desolate nature as once in the canyon the only communication to the outside world is by back tracking. In Young there are no services (no cell/no gas/little food), so do not rely on getting there to refurbish.

Length
From 288 south of Roosevelt Lake, looping through the canyon, and back to 288 near Young, AZ is about 41 miles. Trail will take 4 1/2 hours, but any stops to hike will add to that time.

The trail parallels the 288 Hwy (Globe to Young). The signs on the south end are hard to miss, and just follow the 203 road until it meets back up to the 288 Hwy.

Pictures
The cliff dwellings in the Sierra Anchas

The Sierra Anchas

Typical Road

Typical Stream Crossing

A Camp Site
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

Very nice, the cliff ruins look especially cool. I've never seen anything quite like that before in real life....

Your GPS track is more than 30,000 lines of XML! Holy crap! Shocked

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

I've done this trip once before and the scenery is awesome.

copperone
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

My wife and I did this trail today. Taking Cherry Creek Road (road 203) from 288 to Cherry Creek was a nice scenic drive on a very well maintained dirt road. The trail really starts at Cherry Creek, and the Creek was full and running strong. We are pretty new to the wheeling sceen and this was our first creek crossing with any serious water flowing. The water was flowing a little higher than our rock rails until just before going up the opposite bank the creek bed dropped about a foot. We made it through fine and looking back it was pretty cool. After all the rain we had in the valley and the snow they had in the mountains the trail was pretty wet. All the small creeks were also flowing but they were just an easy splash and we were across.

With the exception of the rock rails, we are completely stock (We do have lockers in the rear and and A Track) and we didn't have any major issues until were were almost back to 288. There are a couple of fun and interesting deep dips on the trail. They were new to us and for first timers on this trail it was a challenge. But alter we made it through both with no problems we are pround that we made it through and totally happy with the performance of the FJ.

Right now the trail is very wet with a lot of snow in the higher elevations. Serveral trees have fallen; blocking the road. So we had to move serveral small trees. Further, rock has fallen off the hill sides all the way up the trail. We ended up rolling serveral large rocks out of the middle of the road.

About 2 miles from rejoining 288, we got seriously stuck in the mud. We were doing fine until we basically hit a really soft spot and sank. I was thinking, Dang, were screwed. We were trying to get enough rocks under us so we could back out about 2 feet and reposition ourselves. Some one up there was definately looking out for us today because another wheeler came up this desolate trail with two straps. He found a way to get around us and pulled us out; otherwise, we would still be stuck up there.

Beyond this point there was relatively heavy snow the rest of the way up the trail but we easily made it the rest of the way back to 288, and home safely.

Up to the point of getting stuck in the mud it was an incredable day and due to the trail conditions it was somewhat chalanging for us. The FJ did everything I asked of it. What a great little truck.

In retrospect, I wish I had posted up and asked someone to go with us. When this kind of weather conditions exist again, I'll definately ask for company. I would definately like to do this trail again sometime. It definately is desolate but it is incredably beautiful out there.

Finally thanks for the infor about the trail, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten to be out there today.

TRDjonnie
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

I'm really glad to see that the trail is still open. Rumors have been that the USFS was not going to do any repairs on the road. AFter a couple of trips up there last year, it seemed a if it would just fall off the hillside with all the rains.
copperone
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

It didn't look like any repairs had been done to the trail, or if any repairs have been done, the recent rain and snow have caused the road to fall away again. The trail was in pretty bad shape, but passable. It was still a lot of fun to be out there even with having to physically move several large rocks and trees out of the road. There really weren't any signs of any one being out there in a while...

Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

Ahh very good! Cherry Creek part deux is in order I believe!

Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

FYI

It sounds like everyone here has gone in the colder months.

Cherry creek has always been one of our familys favorite summer camping and swimming spots.

You should definately go there in the spring and early summer (May & June) before monsoons turn the creek muddy. Look for swimming holes when the weather is warm and the creek is clear. Winter flooding is common so swimming holes come and go. Since this is a fairly deep canyon, sun up is late and sun set is early. This means cool evenings and mornings. Devils Chasm campground has a small side stream that runs though it, and chillly nights even though the elevation isn't high.
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

If you want to add some challenge to this trail there is a fun turnoff right after the parking area for the signed ruins ( if you are heading north ) that goes down towards the creek. Go down it until you hit the corral then take the gate on the left that keeps heading down towards the creek ( going NE ). Some of the full size trucks we were with couldn't make it all the way so we turned around but I was told if you go about a mile in you will be close to the other set of ruins located in the caves on the east side of the creek and you can hike up from there. A stock FJ could make it though what I saw of this trail with careful driving.

Last edited by swtribal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
cruiser_ss396
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

Wow this looks absoluty amazing!! I would love to do a camping trip on this one. I hope we get into our new house soon. I can then start to get some camping equipment for places like this.

BrentMG
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

i'm so glad this trail was reviewed!

i have asked many people if they've heard of this area,
and NO ONE has heard of it! which is cool , because it means
not many people have ruined for the rest of us! Wink

i am taking my new FJ on her maiden voyage here may 18th!
my goal is to find the old abandoned miners cabins
towards the top (young side)

if its ok with everyone here,
i will post my adventure in this thread!

www.flowsystemracing.com
www.uhhyeahdude.com
Seatbelts! Wink
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

www.youtube.com/watch?...2oyDrfsSuw

www.azfj.org/index.php...opic&t=437

More cherry creek goodness from '08

tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

swtribal wrote:
If you want to add some challenge to this trail there is a fun turnoff right after the parking area for the signed ruins ( if you are heading north ) that goes down towards the creek. Go down it until you hit the corral then take the gate on the left that keeps heading down towards the creek ( going NE ). Some of the full size trucks we were with couldn't make it all the way so we turned around but I was told if you go about a mile in you will be close to the other set of ruins located in the caves on the east side of the creek and you can hike up from there. A stock FJ could make it though what I saw of this trail with careful driving.

Are you talking about the trail that heads down to Cherry Creek just past (north) of Devils Chasm campground? Or is it farther north from there?

I ask because the trail through the gate, by the corral (at Devil's Chasm) cannot be done with a stock FJ. I walked it last year. If anyone claims to have done it ... it didn't happen without pics. From what I saw it will take a good amount of lift, big tires, skids, rock sliders, and skill. Major boulders down there. Don't go alone.

On a positive note, there used to be a 4x4 trail from there down the canyon (south) that climbed back up to the main road. I drove it 30 years ago and floods may have wiped out most of it. Still, IF you can get down to the creek through those boulders, you might still be able to find and travel the old trail.
Rastarider
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

I just walked it two weeks ago and I am not going to tell any of you about the mine trail past the corral. If you want to find out, lets go!

Oh and don't even try reading any of my other posts about the ruins off of Cherry Creek Road!

1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cherry Creek (Globe/Young) 2.0 Reply with quote

I had problems with the GPX file available in this thread so here is another version.

Globe to Young Cherry Creek

I will be making another track this weekend and will post it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: