Thursday, August 17, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 71
Total: 72
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: nimrag > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
The Coke Ovens trail is a fun and scenic way to spend a day in the FJ! The trail is just challenging enough to be fun, but not so much that you should be worried about destroying anything. Some of the rock obstacles, while not very technical, make for some great pics!

This trail is sort of in the middle of a bunch of other trails. To do it, you need to string trails together, so make sure you have a plan before setting out! You could run out there in a day and do it, or plan a series of trail and make it a cool camping trip.

I am loosely aware of some land use problems at the coke ovens themselves. There is a rumored 'fence' that supposedly bocks them off, but there was nothing blocking the trail last time I was there in December 2007. Please remember to TREAD LIGHTLY!, be respectful of the land and any and all historic ruins/structures that are out there.

Difficulty
This trail is pretty standard 4x4 stuff. There is nothing crazy or extreme out there, but nonetheless it will require careful driving, good tire placement, and a not-stupid driver. Laughing

On a couple spots (one in particular), a spotter is a good thing to have.

Stock FJ's are OK, though you might brush the undercarriage once or twice here or there.

Length
About 4.5 miles out. You can either return the way you came, or exit via another trail.

Florence Junction area. The most direct way to get there as far as I know is to run Box Canyon to Martinez to the Coke Ovens.

Box Canyon & Martinez intersection: 33° 8.978'N 111° 12.076'W
Martinez & Coke Ovens intersection: 33° 9.195'N 111° 10.616'W

Aerial of the trail:
In this image, you can see the Gila river below the trail to the south. Also, the trail on the left is Box Canyon, and the one above the Coke Ovens trail is Martinez...

Pictures
Mild rock obstacle...

Representative scenery... spot the FJ's!

Most difficult part of the trail...

Doesn't look so bad in this pic, any FJ should be fine here!

Very pretty place...

Me on the banks of the beautiful Gila River...

You could also enter the trail from the south by crossing the Gila River, but I don't know how deep/reliable that is. Also, getting out of the water would be tricky with a bog-like step you'd have to do (not visible in this pic).

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail
Coke Ovens and related goodies... (12/19/07)

GPS Track
Click below to download .gpx file.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
TRDjonnie
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Some more pics.....going the other way on the trail

Stock suspension, stock tires, going up the toughest part....there is an easier line to the left of this. It looks harder/steeper, but the traction is solid!

a tight line, with some damage to a rear fender. There is an easier line to the passenger side of the trail.

Last edited by TRDjonnie on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

...isn't the line to the left like a 3 foot ledge?

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
TRDjonnie
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Yeah it is, but wes and Gone2Baja just crept up....no issues at all! The rest of us who went first and to the line pictured above and we were bouncing and rolling rocks...only one rig hit anything hard enough, but the point is going up -->stay left! Hopefully someone (ulfer?) got a pic of wes/mark doing it.

Oh yeah it's a good 6-7 hour trip from the 79 HWY...account for longer with more rigs and any side excursions, etc.

We did BoxCan-->Martinez-->Cokeovens-->martinez-->Cottonwood....less backtracking this way.
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Since I know there has been some discussion on this, the Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-wheel drive trails (CR 2001) has this to say about the use of the area:

Quote:

...This area wa closed for a time but is now open. Please help keep the area clean. State Trust Land permit required (call 602-364-2753)...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

TRDjonnie wrote:
there is an easier line to the left of this. It looks harder/steeper, but the traction is solid!

That would be this line:

shen
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Does anyone have a GPS track of the back way out - not Battleaxe? I think Yetti called it Kelvin Highway or something like that?

Thanks.

Yetti
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Here are my track files for this route. It will not let me post some types so if you need them just send me a PM and I will email them to you. Download attached zip file for the formats listed below.

1. Garmin .gdb
2. GPS exchange format .gpx
3. Google Earth .kml
4. Nat Geo Topo .tpo
5. Lowrance .usr

Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

DO NOT GO UP TO THE COKE OVENS (the actuall ovens themselves) It is private land and the land owner has made their wishes very clear to the offroading community---they originally put up fences (with gates that could be oppened), but quad riders tore them down... now nobody is allowed.

SDMF
GreenMachine
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Just to clarify my comment above: The trail up TO that section is open, but not the land that the coke ovens themselves rest on.

SDMF
CopDoc
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Does anyone but me think that there might just be some Cat Fish in the Gila there ?? Just a thought but worth a try. Anybody else interested in a day or camp over trip to catch dinner? I have pulled some great 5 lbs ers. out of there around Winkelman. Thats been a few years prior to a few years of "higher educationj" so they call it in the 80's but what the hell. Just dipping my line would feel good. If we catch something thats a bonus.
Whatcha ya say??? Anyone??

Doc

I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six
Pauly
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

just looking for a good place to fly fish, it's water at least, anyone dipped there rod in here.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Anything new on this trail? Are the ovens off limits to foot traffic also?
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

you cant even look at them from 10 miles away Rolling Eyes

azfj owners are the best
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Coke Ovens (Florence Junction) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Brian...please explain?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: