Wednesday, August 16, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 3
Visitors: 54
Total: 57
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AZCruiser > Forums
02: Dravur > Home
03: VaderGirl > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Camino del Diablo Info
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Camino del Diablo Info
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1leglance
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

This is my first time trying to post gps info on a forum...
but I thought with all the interest in Camino del Diablo I should get my tracks and waypoints out there for folks.
I would recommend that you load the track files into Google Earth and set the waypoints that you want. Or you can try to load the track into your GPS and see if you could just drive along it.
Part 1 labeled test is from the Refuge HQ in Ajo to the first camp at Papago Wells
Part 2 label track4 is from Papago Wells to Tinajas Altas which is a great second nights camp
This is incomplete and I will work on the rest of the info...
Let me know if you would rather have waypoints.

Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Thanks Lance, I hope you don't mind if we massage your post into the reviews format.

I did notice one strange thing. cddtrack4.gpx has a very long completely straight portion in it. I couldn't see a road on google earth in that spot. Is it really that straight?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
1leglance
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

no it isn't that straight...I was trying to figure that out while we had a bunch of ICU pts last night...
I will try to pull the info again and upload it.
Place the post where ever folks can find the info....I wasn't sure where to put it anyway

TRDjonnie
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Thanks Lance!
Are there areas that you would recommend camping at? And what would the estimated drive time be for the trail, or for any segments?

Thanks in advance for any intel on the trail itself.

Here's what your way gpx points looked like:
1leglance
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Hey sorry that I haven't figured out how to post a better track for CdD.
Here is what I consider the best plan....
This is setup for a fri-sun run...
Leave phx in the am...
Ajo for lunch and get permit...
gas & go with arrival at Papago Wells camp early afternoon, relax in camp. You are right on the CdD and Border Patrol will stop often day/night.
Get up and have a nice breakfast, no rush and be on the trail 9-10am
Drive the trail with frequent pic stops, stare at Camp Grip, enjoy the lava fields, check out the ruts on the silt beds....
Lunch at Tule Well...hike to the Scout Monument, note in the logbook, and if you want make a run up to Christmas Pass then come back to Tule Well.
Get to Tinajas Altas for an afternoon/early eve camp set up. Hike to the lower tank.
Relax under the stars.
In the am breakfast, pack camp then hike to the upper tanks or whatever.
On your way out take the optional jeep trail then later after the military range take another optional jeep trail to meet up with the "approx western end of the camino" .
Both of the optional areas are listed on topo maps.
Come into Yuma from the desert right up to a golf course, laugh about the look on the players faces!
Go into Yuma for a late lunch then back to phx...

You can do the run in 2 day with camping either in Tule Well or Tinajas Altas but you would be rushing a trip that you want to savor. It is the remoteness and history that you are there for....why rush it?

please keep the questions coming or better post up some possible dates and let's get out there....I am willing, so is Kurt & Mike

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

We did this the opposite direction
Picked up a pass in Yuma at the MCAS main gate,
headed down from the golf course, to the Fortuna Mine (Which was uber cool and set up with historic placards)
1st night at Tinas Altas (Through the North pass which was a 2.0)
To Tule Well, up to Christmas Pass for night two
Then down to Pinacate lava flow, silt beds, and camp grip, where I realized that my wallet was no longer in my pocket. 90miles round trip back to christmas pass and it was right where it fell out.
Then back to Bates well, where you can no longer camp it would seem.
Then out to Ajo, back on 86 to Tucson.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Gunnermoose
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Then down to Pinacate lava flow, silt beds, and camp grip, where I realized that my wallet was no longer in my pocket. 90miles round trip back to christmas pass and it was right where it fell out.
Then back to Bates well, where you can no longer camp it would seem.
Then out to Ajo, back on 86 to Tucson.

You forgot to mention the second coming of Noah and the great flood, or the fact that a Huyndai could make the trip through the lava flow.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Nice thank you Wink

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Mod_Muscle, Jimbolio, 4GaugeSurprise & Caroline, Microbe and Bit Crazy ran East to West on Feb 26- Mar 1st.

We had a Whale of a time!
Push button - Zombies will come - 1 Hour

National Geographic Story
www.nationalgeographic...ahill.html

Jimbolio's Photos
s1287.photobucket.com/...blo%202015

Mod_Muscle Photo

BAD MAF Sensor Dirty event

BitCrazy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

That WAS a great trip!

Maltajo wrote:
For the inaugural run of AZFJ Tucson Second Saturday Runs, in honor of the mother of this invention...
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Stopped by and got my Permit for 2016 in July. They gave me this info.
NOW YOU CAN GET A PERMIT BY MAIL. Handy for the Tucson/Flagstaff folks.

This will net you all the permits you need to cross the El Camino Del Diablo (Including Organ pipe, Cabeza Prieta NWR and BMGR).

Here are the Forms for your convenience

http://www.mcasyuma.marines.mil/StaffandAgencies/Range.aspx

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about taking care of that sometime soon, no really, Caroline mentioned it today.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Gone2Baja
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

Great info! Hopefully this will be one of my first winter trips.

So what happened with your MAF? Yes I see it's dirty, was it a bad seal or was it just that dusty?

Thanks Mark
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Camino del Diablo Info Reply with quote

It was an oil K&N filter that slung goo AND let the dusty by.
Replaced both the MAF and the Filter with a paper one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: