Wednesday, July 17, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Dominican12
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2097

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 70
Total: 70
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Mexican Hat mountain near Pearce, AZ
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Mexican Hat mountain near Pearce, AZ
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkoder
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Mexican Hat mountain near Pearce, AZ Reply with quote

We just explored this mountain this weekend with my friend on a stock Wrangler Unlimited X (9.7'' clearance with 17'' wheels).
I must say, this was a bit stupid of us, because we had a stock car with no winch and little experience. But it was a hell of a lot of fun Smile Nevertheless, it appears that this trail is possible to make on a stock Wrangler (so, I guess, a stock FJ should not have a problem either). If you drive past Pearce on Ghost Town trail which turns into Pearce rd, heading south you will see what looks like an abandoned mine road on the left (here's the google maps link: maps.google.com/maps?f...t=p&z=15). We entered the mountain here: maps.google.com/maps?f...&t=h&z=17, although a better road is probably the first wash after W Humphries rd, which is where we exited. And got up to here: maps.google.com/maps?f...3&t=h&z=18
We did not get all the way to the top, as it got too rough and it was not clear if we would be able to turn around. Most of the road has a lot of vegetaion and tall bushes that grow right in the middle of the road. Some parts are severely washed out and we had one tire stuck in a ditch at one point. I'd say it is a moderate kind of trail where you would definitely need two people and high clearance. Watch out for the soft edge.
I've attached a google sat image and a sat file for TomTom GPS. You can use the two to make a map overlay for TomTom.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Hat mountain near Pearce, AZ Reply with quote

This is a very cool area to toodle around. THere are numerous ghost towns to visit. I haven't been up on Mexican Hat, but I have been in the hills around Courtland. Middlemarch Road from Tombstone is a nice scenic road that dumps you out in Pearce. There are lots of buildings still standing there, and when I was there in the 80's, a guy still lived in the big house SW of there with the red roof that was the mine caretaker.

You can see Gleeson on the return trip to Tombstone.

Very cool places. nice post.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: