Sunday, April 30, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Viperchick76
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1919

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 50
Total: 50
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Well, this was vastly easier than I've ever seen it... the 'curb height' rocky bits I mentioned before don't currently exist. The whole thing is really nice right now.

I continue to believe it's a horrendously bad idea to do in a car, but that's just me. If you were to do a car attempt, going down would be a lot easier... but mind cooking the brakes - use as much gearing as you can to slow it up. If you start to smell something, it's you!!

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
2_Screws
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

And don't forget to take plenty of pictures......or video would be even better!!!

This is going to cost me a lot of money isn't it...
blatant
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
Well, this was vastly easier than I've ever seen it... the 'curb height' rocky bits I mentioned before don't currently exist. The whole thing is really nice right now.

I continue to believe it's a horrendously bad idea to do in a car, but that's just me. If you were to do a car attempt, going down would be a lot easier... but mind cooking the brakes - use as much gearing as you can to slow it up. If you start to smell something, it's you!!

so you're saying it's like fr 300?
Pauly
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

If you take the peppersauce canyon trail, it's a little more difficult, just cut out to the right and follow the trail, there are alot of fire roads cut out so you have to pay atention to make sure you stay on course. The top of the mountain has a good view, but the last bit up there gets washed out real bad and last time my buddies jeep almost ended up about 1000 ft down the cliff.

TaosBob
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Just an update on the Oracle Control Road. I did it from the bottom up on April 29, 2010. The first part is like a highway and as you go up, it gets more primitive. There were no major obstacles all the way, just some stray rocks, some partially cleared trees, and some small erosion from runoff. In 26 miles I met only 2 oncoming vehicles, a Wrangler and a Liberty. There are plenty of turnouts for passing. A little bit of snow was on the side on top but nothing in the road. I take it easy and slow on these roads and keep the wife happy. All in all, it was just what I was looking for while on vacation in Tucson. Thank you for your website, which I studied before I left home (Taos, NM).
Bob
(lifted Jeep WK)
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Hey Bob, thanks for the post. The road tends to be a big wife/girlfriend/s.o. pleaser. Very Happy

check out my BLOG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
cactusjk
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

How do you download the kml file?

fredwood wrote:
"Peppersauce Campground (very clearly marked by signs)."

If I remember correctly there is a cave there. When I was a boy scout we went in the cave on a couple different trips. It goes way back in the mountain.
Just a possible added bonus to the run.
Correct me if Im wrong Mike.
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

At the bottom of the first post in this thread there's a little table... the title of that has a picture of a floppy disk and the filename - it's the download link. You need to be logged in for this to be visible.

check out my BLOG

cactusjk
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

I figured it out. Had to play with the file extensions.

Has anyone done this recently? Conditions?
blatant
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

I came down the back side about 2 weeks or so ago. You didn't even need High clearance. It was the smoothest I ever remember it. The first 6 miles at the top through the twists was a "touch" rougher but really a low rider could've gotten it done. After a few monsoon storms, it should rough up a bit hopefully.

The views were still awesome, still cows all over the place and still only two or three vehicles seen as usual.

The pie place has been torn down however, this I wasn't aware of as i don't head into the village that often. Was kinda sad about that.
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

I hope you don't mean the pizza place! The cookie/pizza cabin place?

check out my BLOG

cactusjk
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I will be heading up from Oracle

blatant wrote:
I came down the back side about 2 weeks or so ago. You didn't even need High clearance. It was the smoothest I ever remember it. The first 6 miles at the top through the twists was a "touch" rougher but really a low rider could've gotten it done. After a few monsoon storms, it should rough up a bit hopefully.

The views were still awesome, still cows all over the place and still only two or three vehicles seen as usual.

The pie place has been torn down however, this I wasn't aware of as i don't head into the village that often. Was kinda sad about that.
CopDoc
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

The cookie place is further into town. The best pies in the world came from a kinda beat down looking building as you enter town and its on the south side. It was a blue building. Just past the post office. I hope they are just changing locations. They weren't touched by the fire.

I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

CopDoc wrote:
The cookie place is further into town. The best pies in the world came from a kinda beat down looking building as you enter town and its on the south side. It was a blue building. Just past the post office. I hope they are just changing locations. They weren't touched by the fire.

The pie place is gone. The lady who did the baking died in September '08.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
CopDoc
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oracle Control Road (Oracle/Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Sad News

I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: