Wednesday, January 24, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Membership:
Latest: charlezevanildo
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2007

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 130
Total: 130
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here!
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

Q: How do I post an event to the calendar?
A: Click on the "Calendar" link in the Main menu on the left hand side of the site. Then find the specific date you would like to add an event to. You must click on the actual date number to enter the "day view". Once you reach this view you should see a "Add Event" button on the right hand side. Clicking this button will allow you to add an event to the calendar. It will not show up for the public to see until a staff member approves it (generally less than 24hrs). You can setup repeating events the same way, just pick the start day of the event and you should see options for repeating events in the submission forum.

Q: The forums won't let me upload pictures as attachments?
A: That's correct. You must use the gallery function to upload pictures to azfj and then link to the pictures from the forums. The attachments feature of the forums is intended for gps files and non graphical elements.

Q: How do I upload pictures to the gallery?
A: Click on the "Photo Gallery" link in the Main Menu on the left. Click "Upload Picture" in the new Photo Gallery Tasks menu on the left above the Main Menu. Fill in all the requirement information making sure to pick a album that you own (your name will show up before the album name). There will be public albums from time to time listed in the album pull down box, but this should only be used for specific photos and should be self explanatory. If you do not know how to create your own album see the next Q.

Q: How do I create my own album?
A: Click on the "Photo Gallery" link in the Main Menu on the left. Click on the "Create / Order my albums" link in the new Photo Gallery Tasks menu on the left above the Main menu. Select "* My Gallery *" in the drop down back and CLICK the "select gallery" button (don't forget this step!). Fill in the blank box next to the "New Album" button on the bottom of the page and then click that button. A new album should appear under your personal user gallery and should now appear in your upload box when uploading images.

Q: How do I post an image from the gallery in the forums?
A: AZFJ uses the standard BBCODE syntax for forums and is the same as every other forum that uses this system. The first thing you need is direct URL to the image you want to include in your post. Find the image you would like to include in the AZFJ gallery. You need to be looking at the actual image and not just the collection of thumbnails. Each image has a bunch of info below it. The info you want is the "URL: IMAGE URL" line under "Album name". The "IMAGE URL" url should be clickable. Right click on that and select "Copy Shortcut" for internet explorer or "copy link location" for firefox. You now have the location of the image! Simply click on the image icon (mountain with sun) and paste in the url you just copied into the new popup box. Click "OK" and it should paste the code into your edit box for you. If you're using quick replies you can put in the code yourself like the following:
Code:

[img]http://azfj.h4b.org/modules/coppermine/albums/trailruns/boxc2007/normal_CIMG1512.jpg[/img]

Q: My PMs get stuck in my outbox. Why aren't they moving to my sentbox?
A:All PMs are placed into your outbox until they are read by the recipient. After they are read, they are automatically placed into your sentbox. It's a bit confusing, think of it as delivery confirmation.

Last edited by Mr_R2FJ on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

This might sound like an odd question to you but I use photobucket for everything and I have a ton of FJ pics on there that are free for anyone to look at... is there a way to link it to my photo gallery on here so I don't have to upload pics in two areas? just wondering...

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

No unfortunately there isn't. The best thing I could recommend is to put a line in your sig that includes a link to your photobucket gallery. That way every post will include a link to your gallery. If someone looks up your profile it should also show your sig.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
TRDjonnie
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

Can there be a chat room? Showing who is in there.
The 3 page threads of back and forth chatting is why I tried to get away from the blue room! If it's not for the group, then why post it? I know I'm not perfect at my posts but the "eCdD sign-up" is a great example!
I might just be a lurker from now on. Maybe I'll show up at the predesignated area for gatherings/runs/events. Threads are becoming like wyoming... winded.
RANT OVER! Sorry

Why is there non AZ trails on the site? Will that confuse new comers? There is a 'national' type site for that stuff.
RANT OVER! Sorry

Is there a way to create an album of a run for everyone to post to?This would be pretty slick..as an organizer could preload the run as an empty album and then as folks get home and start throwing in pics they have a place to stick them.
JUST A THOUGHT

NICE WORK ON THE SITE! I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, but I hope it involves FatTire!
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered her Reply with quote

TRDjonnie wrote:
The 3 page threads of back and forth chatting is why I tried to get away from the blue room! If it's not for the group, then why post it? I know I'm not perfect at my posts but the "eCdD sign-up" is a great example!
I might just be a lurker from now on. Maybe I'll show up at the predesignated area for gatherings/runs/events. Threads are becoming like wyoming... winded.
RANT OVER! Sorry

Chat room would be cool... I don't know if that's possible, though it would likely have to entail some kind of evil PITA java applet thing.

As for the bantor and chatting, I agree to an extent. The reason I'm cool with how things are going, is that I've endeavored to make it so you don't have to read all the BS to get info. For instance, when I post a run I keep all the important info in the first post so it's right there. Additionally we've got the calendar here and the calendar you're running in the Blue Room... so if people want just the info I hope it's easy to find without having to wade through anything.

TRDjonnie wrote:
Why is there non AZ trails on the site? Will that confuse new comers? There is a 'national' type site for that stuff.
RANT OVER! Sorry

We talked about that before we threw it up, decided it wasn't a bad idea since CA is so close and it's reasonable to think that somebody from AZ might venture over there once in a while... maybe we could stuff that into some kind of subforum to get it out of the way?

TRDjonnie wrote:
Is there a way to create an album of a run for everyone to post to?This would be pretty slick..as an organizer could preload the run as an empty album and then as folks get home and start throwing in pics they have a place to stick them.
JUST A THOUGHT

Yup, that's exactly what we do now. The only reason it sucks is that only admins can make public galleries, and then when you upload pics into them they have to be 'approved' first... just the way the software works. Check out the ECD gallery and you'll see that both homedad and I put pics up in it.

TRDjonnie wrote:
NICE WORK ON THE SITE! I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, but I hope it involves FatTire!

Thanks! I'm trying like mad to make this cool for everybody... I hope it turns into something useful. Thanks for the input! Very Happy

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered her Reply with quote

Ok so here is my .02:

Chat rooms....honestly, I'm not sure why the blue pages have a chat room. Every time I look on there NOBODY or ONE person is in the room. If I want to chat, I do it on AIM or whatever the instant messenger is of your choice....thats why you have the option of adding that ID in your profile. Internet forums have chatting in threads. Can it get out of control sometimes? Yes, especially as people get to know each other better. Almost always have I or someone else given the "Ok, back on topic" post to get things back on track. I'd hate to see you become a lurker because you can't deal with that, but its your choice.

Non-AZ trails on the site....like Mike said, we discussed it and figured first of all CA was close enough that it wouldn't be a big deal. As a matter of fact, we have talked about doing an AZFJ run back out to Joshua Tree....if reading the heading of a trail review that clearly says CA on it confuses people, maybe they shouldn't be out there wheeling! Laughing As for the national site, thats fine and all, but I think the trail reviews people have put together here are superior to almost anything else I've seen...gps tracks, google earth files, recent pics...and being able to talk to someone local you know who has experienced this helps. What is an easy run to you may not be an easy run to me, because we have different set ups on our trucks.

Creating an album...also as Mike said no, thats just the way the software works. Josh has suggested creating the album in your own user gallery and if you would like it to become a separate thing just email one of us and we can move it for you.

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered her Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions Jonnie. I think Mike pretty much answered everything but here are my comments.

TRDjonnie wrote:
RANT OVER! Sorry

Every forum has chatting and honestly I have no desire to start deleting posts just because people want to chat a bit back and forth. This is just the way I run my boards. I'm certainly open to debate on this issue, but I feel you'll make more people angry than happy by deleting anything they say that might be deemed "off topic". If you know of a forum that doesn't have idle chatter I'd love to see it. =) We hope we've made most of the informational areas of the site as clear as possible. I've often considered making the trail reports section heavily moderated to info only, so I'm open to at least doing it there if that's desirable.

I've experimented with chat rooms in the past. The best thing to do is just point everyone to something like IRC or some sort of chat room and have them all meet there if they want to. Running a php/java/etc chat room on the site is more work than it's worth and usually heavily under utilized.

TRDjonnie wrote:

RANT OVER! Sorry

I feel that we can bring a better review section for this personally. However, if people feel that it should be moved and kept to AZ only I'm perfectly ok with that. How do others feel?

TRDjonnie wrote:

JUST A THOUGHT

I don't have anything new to say here other than you can always upload to your personal album and we can move them later if you feel a new album isn't created soon enough. In addition, anyone is welcome to send me a zip file of any AZFJ run and I will be more than happy to create a gallery for it here so you don't have to upload them on by one. PM me for details if you're interested in doing that.

TRDjonnie
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. I wish customer service like this was everywhere!
Just thought I'd throw that STUFF out there. I agree with the reviews that AZFJ has! Top notch!
Only aim to improve as a user...not shoot anything down.
I put the the RANT statement in cause it's my thoughts...only mine.
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

Of course, and thats what we are here for...lucky for you, there are three geeks organizing this thing and two of us I know for sure are online at least 60-70% of the day!

We want this to be a webpage that all AZFJ can enjoy and utilize to its fullest potential, so thanks for the feedback....and wheres my Fat Tire?

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered her Reply with quote

We appreciate all feedback! If people have concerns or questions I do my best with the tools we've got. If I can find a way to meet any request I'll do my best to implement it.

I think I'm going to make a subforum (have to check to see if I can do that) for trail reviews outside of AZ. I like the idea of having a bit more organization there.

Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered her Reply with quote

How do we submit a photo for the top right corner of this site to get into rotation?
What would be the photo requirments?

Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

Wow I totally missed this question Chigoe. Sorry! Basically the way way is to pm me the photo. Nearly any size will work, but please understand that not all photos work well in that spot. If you're good with photoshop I can get you the template and you can edit the photos yourself. It's a very manual process so that's why it's not updated very often.

Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

On that note we have a lot of new members and it would be nice to see some new pics in the rotation!

Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered here! Reply with quote

My PMs get stuck in my outbox. How do I get them to send?
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum FAQ - Get your site related questions answered her Reply with quote

fjunn wrote:
My PMs get stuck in my outbox. How do I get them to send?

A PM in the outbox means that it is sent, but the recipient has not opened it yet. Once the person you sent it to has opened it, it will move to your sent.

It's a nice feature!

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: