Wednesday, August 16, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 3
Visitors: 55
Total: 58
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AZCruiser > Forums
02: Dravur > Home
03: VaderGirl > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Sunflower Mine (between Phx/Payson)- 3.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Sunflower Mine (between Phx/Payson)- 3.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Sunflower Mine (between Phx/Payson)- 3.5 Reply with quote

Synopsis
It was a dirt road for awhile and gradually worsened when you started getting into the canyon. We crossed a few running washes that were slippery and got to past sunflower mine. It got worse and worse as we went.

Time was not on our side and it seemed to be getting more difficult. the water was the wildcard, we figured we could tackle it another time with a few more rigs and a earlier departure. i actually had to back through a technical section, and through a running wash with spotting by Bill of course

All in all it was a really fun day. We will return when we have a few more rigs to make it all the way through. It was just getting too late to do the last and hardest part of the trail. This is a must do if you like adventure and technical driving

Difficulty
I would consider the part of the trail we did starting at a easy and gradually getting to difficult. Probably about a 3 - 3.5 to where we stopped. since the washes were running we had to move a few fallen trees to get through and at one point there was a large rock in the middle of the trail that we were able to squeeze by. From what we read the trail would get more difficult from where we stopped. I would recommend sliders, skids, lift and locker for this run, especially with water running. You may be able to do it with just a-trac but that would only be to where we ended up . I cannot speak for the rest of it

Highway 87 north to road marked Sycamore Creek/Mt. Ord 0.6 miles past mile marker 222. Follow paved road 1.2 miles to bottom of hill and turn right at the cattle guard.

We pulled off and aired down 33 55.898' N 111 27.829' W

We decided to back out at 33 57.760 N 111 29.110 W

Pictures
Here is a link to the rest of my pictures
Picasa Web Albums - puulboy - Sunflower Min...

AZ-TRD and I decided work wasn't happening on this day so we ran Sunflower mine

This was a golden opportunity to run it while the washes were all running as you can see

A little hike up to the mine

This is where we made a logical desicion to not go any further on this run. this was the wide part of the trail

I backed through this and through the next wash crossing to turn around

Last edited by Wikid on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

Awesome Don. Looks hardcore! Where can others find this and do you have a rating for the trail? (see sticky in this forum for rating descriptions)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

Ya looks like fun and a great way to ditch work!

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

Mr_R2FJ wrote:
Awesome Don. Looks hardcore! Where can others find this and do you have a rating for the trail? (see sticky in this forum for rating descriptions)
I will post more info tonight I just wanted to get pictures up I did track it with GPS and it was the first attempt with the laptop . Now I just need to pull the info and get some waypoints and stuff
thanks
Don
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

Cool looking trail... I've been meaning to head up to Payson one of these times I'm in Fountain Hills, w00t! Very Happy

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

The trail is pretty tough. I probably wouldnt try it alone. I think 3 or 4 rigs would be perfect.
We will be doing this one again with the goal of going all the way through
I will be posting more of a trail report soon. I got home late today
thanks Don
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

I added a brief trail description to the first post. I couldnt finish the trail so we will do a complete one when we do it again
thanks
Don

Last edited by Wikid on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

Looks like a good time! I would like to go on this trail someday...

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Sean
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

Great pics Don! I'd love to go on that run with you guys in the future or perhaps even some others in the area like Mud Springs. I hear MS is a really great one in the same area as well.

If you enjoyed this Sunflower trip, I'm sure you're going to love Martinez.

Can't wait to get out there again. Smile

Sean
Wikid
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine 12/03/07 Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Sean
glad to see you in the mix. can't wait for Martinez
thanks
Don
katfish
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

Location: The Peanut & Mouse Estate, in the suburban farmlands

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine (between Phx/Payson) Reply with quote

Keep your eyes posted. I am going to post a run for Sunflower Mine on Christmas Eve Day soon.

Just need minor detail, how long does this take? We have dinner plans on Christmas Eve - as I'm sure others will too, so I just need to plan it accordingly.
TRDjonnie
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine (between Phx/Payson)- 3.5 Reply with quote

Here is a quick GeoPic with notes of the trail to the mine. The yellow arrows indicate the direction of turn.

*NOTE: that the Beeline HWY on the map is the old beeline, I drew the new one in a highlighted yellow.* I think someone had a GPS tracking the route for the actual .gpx file.

At the last Switchback before the mine, you can go straight (right) but the trail gets rough, as puulboy mentions.

And a picture of probably toughest part getting to the mine. It's really just good tire placement as stock rigs can make it.
MrFinchy
Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine (between Phx/Payson)- 3.5 Reply with quote

I ran the full loop this past Saturday and have to say in my opinion it is starting to look more like a 4.0 trail than a 3.5. It seems the creek has been running for a good amount of time now and there is lots more rock exposed and less sand around them. The water makes the rock crawling all that more difficult with wet tires. Even worse than the rocks is the tippy spots. Two persons in my group who had inclinometers counted 3 location on the trail with near 40 degree side-to-side angles on the narrow shelf roads. This becomes even more attention grabbing since the tippy spots push you to the edge of shelf road on the loose dirt. One spot in particular required getting through it fast as to avoid sliding sideways while going slow. I feel some trail maintenance is required to correct this since significant erosion is responsible for this.

To the mine the trail is not bad and would rank as an easy 3.0. After the mine skids, rock-rails, a lift, and off road tires are a must. Traction devices will help immensely.

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine (between Phx/Payson)- 3.5 Reply with quote

Wow, sounds fun! Laughing

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunflower Mine (between Phx/Payson)- 3.5 Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
Wow, sounds fun! Laughing

Oh yea it was a blast!

I forgot to mention, there were lots of banged up bumpers front and rear. Pin striping was some of the worst that I have seen yet here in AZ since much of the trail goes through some really tight thick brush.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: