Saturday, December 16, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Jyoung
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1995

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 118
Total: 118
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Montana Mountain (Superior) - 2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Montana Mountain (Superior) - 2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copperone
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana Mountain (Superior) - 2.0 Reply with quote

We've been up the Montana Mountail trail a couple of times. Both were a lot of fun. And the scenery truely incredable.....

tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana Mountain (Superior) - 2.0 Reply with quote

All the way to the back, on the right. There's the lone FJ in the parking lot, mine. And that is Montana Mountain in the background, for those that haven't seen it. AFAIK, mine was the only FJ on the Montana Mountain trails yesterday (trials 172+650). My wife and I made our first trip through there.

Since the last post in this thread was 2009, maybe it's time for an update. I've wanted to do this trip for quite awhile. The weather was great, but dry, no water anywhere.

172 and 650 are approximately equal length sections, with a total driving time of 4 to 5hrs. 172 is obviously the road to take for non-off roaders, heading to Rogers Trough to hike. Check out the variety of vehicles in the lot. Yes, it is bladed, but there is one switchback that is not a turn, really more of a V, with a turn around on it's end O<. Only a quad or dirtbike will negotiate it without making a few extra tries. On the other hand, trail 650 is not maintained. 172 is a 2.0 rating, and 650 would be a 2.5. While I used 4x4 high the whole way, there are plenty of full lock hairpins, good sized rocks, and a couple of washouts where the road is essentially gone. I saw 2 Jeeps on 650. The both asked how far it was back to the highway, and how the road was. They had come in the rough way(650 first). I HIGHLY recommended to a guy older than me in a Ext cab Tacoma 4x4 to turn around before taking the switchbacks up 650. He continued ... oh well, I warned him.

For FJs, this loop is a good day of four wheeling. If you haven't done it, give it a try.
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Montana Mountain (Superior) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Labor Day 2015. Did this run today awesome. Much harder than expected. Funtreks/Wells guidebook calls this one easy, no way. More off camber shelf roads than Walnut Canyon or Woodpecker, just no boulder crawling. I'd say moderate 2.0. Long trail give 5hrs with lunch. Watch those washouts! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: