Saturday, November 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: scotty45
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1983

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 54
Total: 54
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Chiva Falls is a really great trail east of Tucson that features a great combination of easy wheeling, tricky terrain, challenging optional obstacles, and beautiful geologic features.

For me, this was my intro to more hardcore wheeldom. I had done a few easy going trails in the area before I went to Chiva, but this trail was the first time I had ever wheeled anything remotely challenging. The experience literally changed my life! This is a great trail for any new people wanting to dip their toes in the good stuff - not too hard, but not too easy either! Experienced folk will have a blast too!!

Difficulty
The trail is certainly do-able in a completel stock FJ, but numerous sections will require careful driving and choosing good lines in numerous spots is essential. As for the optional obstacles, any FJ will be able to find a good challenge someplace!

Length
I have not been there since getting my GPS, will have to get back to you on that... count on a few hours to do the trail, more if you want to play.

A great spot to meet to do this trail is the Circle K on Tanque Verde and Rebecca Ave.

Circle K @ Tanque Verde & Rebecca - Google Maps

From the Circle K, head East. Tanque Verde will change into "Redington Road" - continue for several miles. The road will start to get twisty and eventually turn to dirt. Stay on the dirt for another few miles, there will be a coral on the right at about 32° 16.888'N 110° 38.001'W - this is the start of the trail.

Aerial of the trail:
(Not available)

GPS Track
(Not available)

Pictures
Nice, easy stretch of the trail...

A few rocky sections like this cannot be bypassed, but should be no problem for any reasonable driver.

The really famous obstacle is called "Three Feathers" and is not far from the start of the trail. There is a fairly easy way to get up and down it, so no worries there. But many different lines exist, ranging from "oh God!" to "holy frick!!" in difficulty. This is looking down from the top, down one of the center lines. A few people have done this in completely stock FJ's, and the 3" + tires people have walked over it no problem.

Stock FJ on Three Feathers... I have to admit, on that day I was towed up... just couldn't grab it to get over the last little hump, it was sorta wet that day... but it's a nice pic anyway!

Uh, don't do this!

At the end of the trail you are rewarded with a breif hike to a very pretty water fall!! Find Jake in pic to get a scale for the thing!

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
swtribal
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

This trail is great after it has been raining or when there is snow melt off. You get to cross some decent size creeks in a few places and the waterfall is beautiful.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

It's almost Prime Chiva Falls season. When there are Monsoons, there are great falls. (And danger). You have to be careful of flash floods.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
landman
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Ran Chiva Falls this weekend. When we got to the falls we came across an abandoned Jeep that was seriously stuck in a WTF spot. Check it out:

Must have happened a few hours before we arrived (we got there at like 9:30am) as there was still ice from their cooler on the floor of the jeep. Not sure what happened or the story.
okiefj
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Should have yanked it out for them! Good Karma.

Thrush Exhaust System
Loudass Stereo
landman
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I couldn't would have taken a MUCH bigger rig then mine to get that jeep out of that deep slot.

You cant see it in the pic, but there is a 9ft cliff that they came down to get into that slot and pulling/winching it up that steep slop/cliff would've take a much larger/heavier rig then my single cab Tacoma
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

That's very concerning. I wish I could help. I just checked the VJC board to see if there's anyone posting for desperate help pulling out their Jeep, but I'm not seeing anything. I sure hope that someone gets that thing out of there before it gets looted down to a frame and some body panels with bullet holes.

There are multiple potential scenarios I can think of here:

1) Jeeper knows what he's doing, has friends (or $)... he's coming back.
2) Jeeper doesn't know what he's doing, and actually "gives up" (seen it).
3) Stolen Jeep.

Is jb weld really as strong as if I just welded them on with my welder?

glideraz wrote:
Could be stronger it all depends on how you weld
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Jon, maybe you should cross post this to VJC to see if they know of or recognize the Jeep.

Unless of course, you have already done so.
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I hadn't, but I just did.

I was torn between not posting because I don't have any information other than what I just saw and read here, and wanting to post because I want to know that the driver is OK.

My desire to know if the driver is OK just won out.

Perhaps it will spark a recovery effort? I hope it's already been done.

glideraz wrote:
BellyDoc
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

PS... I can't wait to get my FJ62 built up so I can go HERE. That pic of the falls looks freakin' AWESOME.

glideraz wrote:
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

BellyDoc wrote:
That's very concerning. I wish I could help. I just checked the VJC board to see if there's anyone posting for desperate help pulling out their Jeep, but I'm not seeing anything. I sure hope that someone gets that thing out of there before it gets looted down to a frame and some body panels with bullet holes.

There are multiple potential scenarios I can think of here:

1) Jeeper knows what he's doing, has friends (or $)... he's coming back.
2) Jeeper doesn't know what he's doing, and actually "gives up" (seen it).
3) Stolen Jeep.

It should be fairly safe as it's at the end of a out and back trail. If you don't know it's there, you won't see it unless you do the trail to the end. Bet they went for help. This is not a Table Mesa type area where access is close and easy for the shitbags of the world.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

the FRP are taking note I'm sure. The end of the spur trail is proposed for closure for exactly this reason. And yes, his well being is important. But the oil/gas that is potentially dumping into the creek is F'ng irritating.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
landman
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

We asked the other people around the falls area if they knew who's it was or what happened, but no one knew anything.

I would have at least winched it out, but as mentioned by single cab Tacoma would not have been able to and would have put my rig at risk. Getting two rigs stuck out there would not be helping.

There were two buggies out there and they did report it to the Sharif.

For the record I think after the monsoons have made Chiva a little more challenging for this season.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Chiva Falls (Tucson) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Cool Video of Tanque Verde Falls. (Yes I KNOW it's not Chiva) but it's downstream.

For those of you that just drive up Redington Rd as a way to get to other stuff. Maybe next time stop at MP 5 and take a look.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: