Wednesday, August 16, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 48
Total: 49
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AMACK2012 > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
This trail shoots off Redington Road a ways down from the Chiva coral. It is very easy overall, but ends in an extremely difficult and loose off-camber climb. There is one obstacle right at the beginning which is optional and kinda fun. There are few nice places to camp, and if you can make it to the end you can camp there and are pretty much guaranteed that no one will bother you - probably for days if not weeks.

This is by no means the most spectacular trail in the area (some of the best in the Tucson area are very close), but it's not used too much and is a nice easy time.

Difficulty
The final climb at the very end of the trail can be done in a stock FJ, but is extremely tough and dangerous because any kind of recovery would be tremendously difficult. Pin striping is generally very mild, but can occur here. Barring the final climb, the trail is very mild.

Length
The trail is little over 2 miles and can be run in very little time.

This trail is one of many accessed by the same road East of Tucson. A good place to meet is the Circle K on Tanque Verde and Rebecca Ave.

Circle K @ Tanque Verde & Rebecca - Google Maps

From the Circle K, head East. Tanque Verde will change into "Redington Road" - continue for several miles. The road will start to get twisty and eventually turn to dirt. Stay on the dirt for another few miles, on the left there will be the trailhead. It is not very remarkable, indicated only by a skinny vertical "4436" sign at about 32° 17.971'N 110° 37.329'W.

Aerial of the trail:

The aerial above is about 80% of the trail, I'd only gone that far on that particular trip to hit the nice camp site I mention below.

Pictures

Optional obstacle, located at 32° 17.964'N 110° 37.466'W

There are a few nice places to camp along the trail. People are frequently camped near the start of the trail, but the last half and definitely the very last stretch are infrequently visited. Nice, quiet camping for small groups. I like this spot, it's at 32° 17.737'N 110° 39.006'W

Some good climbs at the end... though I don't have any pics of the really bad one at the very end, have to go back and get some! Smile

If you go out on this one, please bring a garbage bag and fill it. Unfortunately there is a lot of trash near the trail, especially towards the beginning. Sad But of course, if you've ever been near Lance for more than 5 minutes you probably are in the habit of picking up trash every time you go out anyway! Wink

GPS Track
Below you can download a Google Earth .kml tracklog of the first 80% or so of the trail.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...

Last edited by tibaal89 on Mon May 12, 2008 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) Reply with quote

Do you have a rating for dis?

Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) Reply with quote

Yup! Done and done. Very Happy

check out my BLOG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Oh not so bad....

Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Yea... It's very easy but there are a few little climbs and a "rock garden" of probably ~6" things sparsely thrown around. 100% stock FJ can make it through without contacting the undercarriage at all.

I'm sort of eliminating the final part from the trail rating. If anyone goes out here, it will be obvious at what point it becomes completely stupid and shouldn't be attempted.

Otherwise, very mild.

I need to get out there and figure out the details on the end part...

check out my BLOG

microbe
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

We ran this last weekend and it's a fun trail. We took it to the point where the trail was closed. Heard from some old timers on an ATV that after the trail closure it goes to Chimney Rock.
The section after the trail closure looked like so much fun. Big hill extended hill climb.
We did hit some nice hills that were fun up and down. The first picture you posted is a nice bypass at the beginning that lets people play a bit.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

www.azpm.org/p/top-new...gton-pass/
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

No more Shoosting in Reddiington!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
No more Shoosting in Reddiington!

Says who?

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Says that article until Sept 2013 while they 'reassess'.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Says that article until Sept 2013 while they 'reassess'.

Those areas may be closed to ressess until September but that does not mean you can't shoot elsewhere around Reddington. All it will do is move the shooting areas up the road more, but maybe it will curb some of the 2wheel drive, low clearance cars from getting there.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Maybe so. I was shooting up there New Years weekend, and Picked up my trash, but there were a ton of other bottles, tires, etc left behind by others. It's a damn shame that some ignorant asshats ruin it for the rest.

Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
It's a damn shame that some ignorant asshats ruin it for the rest.

Agree

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

All of the shooting areas in Reddington are now closed, signed and fenced.

cruiser_ss396
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Redington Road #4436 (Tucson) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Sucks that had to happen but at least it's possible it can get cleaned up and re-open. When I was up there it was a mess, I could not belive people leave behind that kind of a mess......it's just sad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: