Friday, August 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 65
Total: 66
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: TOY4WD > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 2.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 2.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Broken Arrow is a great trail up in Sedona. It is extremely scenic with a few interesting obstacles, and a couple places you can kinda play around on stupid stuff.

The biggest downside of the trail is it's incredible popularity especially with local 'jeep tour' companies who run dozens of trucks there daily. It being a narrow trail, traffic can be a major problem.

Great trail in a really beautiful part of Arizona! There are tons of other very great places to wheel in the immediate area - a 4x4 vacation to Sedona is highly recommended!!

Difficulty
This is another trial that is definitely do-able in a stock FJ! However, there are nontrivial obstacles that will require careful driving.

Length
My GPS shows the trail to be about 4 miles. Including stops for pictures, I completed this trail with one other vehicle in about 90 minutes on a weekend in November.

Turn SE off AZ-179 onto Morgan Road, shortly the road will turn to dirt and the trail will begin.
Broken Arrow on Google Maps

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures
Unnecessary decent...

The famous stairs...

Random scenery...

Unnecessary ledge...

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail
Broken Arrow at SedonaFest 2007 (some pics are from Broken Arrow)

GPS Track
Attached below is a Google Earth .kml tracklog of the trail.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...

Last edited by tibaal89 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) Reply with quote

ADDED DIFFICULTY
3.0 - I'm giving this trail a 3.0 even though other opinions I've received rate this harder than greasy spoon (which I also gave a 3.0). As Tibaal89 states, this can be done by a completely stock FJC, but there are some non-trivial obstacles here. It may be a close 3.5 because low range 4x4 and a-trac make some of the obstacles a lot easier to navigate and not all FJC have that option. I'm not sure I would want to do some of the climbs without a-trac, but a somewhat skilled driver would not have any issues.

Here's what all that looks like wet Wink

Famous stairs

Some fun mild climbing

Amazing views from the trail

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Here's a great map that Lance gave us during sedonafest!

Click for full size map

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Nice, I have yet to do this run... and I missed out again...!

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

It's a lot of fun and definitely beautiful, but a bit overcrowded for such a short trail. Anyone planning on doing this should try to find an off peak time to do it (winter or when pink jeep takes a break if that happens). This is also a trail that you only want to run in smaller groups. I'd keep them at approximately 5 or less due to parking restrictions if you want to stop and take photos and the possibility of completely blocking the trail when the pink jeep tours need to get by.

wesnlisa
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

Wes and i did Broken Arrow a couple of weeks ago and had a blast! The amazing thing about it is that a stock FJ could easily do it, granted we are a little higher but it's totally possible. The best part of this run is you get the chance to see places of Sedona that you ordinarilly wouldn't be able to see with a 4x4 machine.
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

At night and running it backwards is maybe a 3.0....I'll give it a 2.0 on a "normal" day.......sorry guys...just me...

azfjcrusin
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

I've run this a few times with no locker or Atrac myself and agree with Homedad, simple trail if you have any experience whatsoever. I did it in the rain one of the times with no problems or wheel slippage. I have a spacer lift and goodyear silent armors but I coulda done it without.
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

My feeling is that an experienced person can do any trail in almost any vehicle, but feel that some of the obstacles on broken arrow warrant at least a bit of warning. I think at least a 2.5 with a rating closer to 3.0. 4WD is required in my opinion (hence at least a 2.5). I don't have the experience of homedad so it's a bit of a different perspective. Trails all start looking easier the more times you do them and the more experience you have.

There are obstacles on this trail; the stairs, small steep climbs/decents, and several small tight spaces, make this trail a bit more difficult than the common 2.0. I think of 2.5/3 as a trail that starts to have obstacles that people have to think a bit about if they want to get through cleanly and I have yet to witness someone do the stairs very cleanly (no offense to any particular person many of you I haven't seen even do it).

However, this is perfect discussion and I love to hear people's opinion of the ratings!

SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 3.0 Reply with quote

must...run..backwards...at...night!
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

I've downgraded the trail to 2.5. I figured it would be fair to drop it a little due to the two responses here regarding difficulty. I still think we should keep it at a 4wd required rating.

azfjcrusin
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Next time I'm there, I'll try runnin it in 2wd and I'll repost with the results. How's that?
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Thats fine. =) Just keep in mind, I'm not saying that it can't be done and your rig is hardly stock. Wink However, I'd be interesting in hearing your results of running the entire thing in 2wd.

SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

I think you'd still need 4wd to help get you over some rocks. Although a lot of the trail can be run in 2wd, I just dont' think you'd be able to get the FJ up some of those rock steps in 2wd as heavy as it is. Maybe if it was fwd.
azfjcrusin
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Arrow (Sedona) - 2.5 Reply with quote

I agree...just curious to see how much of it a 2wd might be able to get,.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: