Friday, August 18, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 64
Total: 65
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: TOY4WD > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

azsnowbur wrote:
Is there a gas station near by that I could air up at?

No.. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap compressor already!

2011 Blue FJ
Mods:
AZFJ Sticker, CB Install, Dash iPad Mount, Dual USB Ports, Expeditioneers Skid Plates, Cooper STT Pro tires, OME Lift Kit, solar, HAM Radios, blah and blah....
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

There's a Shell in Florence, near the MickyD's

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

If you exit the trails at Price Station and 79, there is a Chevron about a mile and a half south on 79. Here are the Google coords: 33.03671,-111.379568.
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:
azsnowbur wrote:
Is there a gas station near by that I could air up at?

No.. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap compressor already!

Ok I will retract my statement. The typical South to North route there really isn't a gas station close. You come out at the same spot where we aired you up on the Woodpecker run. So you would have to drive south and then north or take your chances and go to the Shell station in AJ where we meet up. Yes, everyone will tell me to shut up and they have driven 10,000 miles on 5lbs but that isn't my style.

Go buy a compressor.... Smile
MrVTX
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:

Go buy a compressor.... Smile

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

MrVTX wrote:
If you exit the trails at Price Station and 79, there is a Chevron about a mile and a half south on 79. Here are the Google coords: 33.03671,-111.379568.

My error, Chuck is right, It's a Chevron.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Drive the damn things. You can get from Box Canyon to Gold Canyon on 18lbs no problem, especially in winter. Style or no, it's just what it is.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

sed est liberum prandium, placeat,

blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
sed est liberum prandium, placeat,

Wie bitte? Nicht verstehe.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
Thoreau
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

La hadal Ingiriisi!

Homedad wrote:
What are the odds of shooting at an FJ and not getting shot back???
Rob_O
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Did this trail (south to north) on Oct 26, 2014. Aside from the known obstacles, the trail is a 2.0 at most. I managed in 4H, never needing a gear lower than 2nd (5AT), and with tires only aired down to 29psi. No spotter, no 4L or A-TRAC and no lockers need.

I will say the vegetation is thick right now (after a very active monsoon season), and there are many "bypasses" along the main trail which lead into narrow sections where pinstripes are a given. My 2014 with only 800 miles on it can attest to that. Wink Not sure why the trail is so frayed in those sections (at the south end), other than guessing the bypasses came up due to water crossings during the wet months.

Note that we got a late start and were traveling solo, so we doubled back not long after the historic/protected structure north of the canyon. I also didn't do Red Hill (didn't even see it, if I'm honest).

I'll also add, the trail is overrun with ATVs/UTVs. They were *everywhere*. I think some of the aforementioned narrow sections spurring off the main trail were probably created by the UTVs, hence how narrow they are.

Anyway ... a few photos to compliment this thread, including some from Florence en route to Box Canyon Rd (again, South to North).

"Historic" Florence, which was a ghost town Sunday morning.

A little high-speed desert fun on the way out to the trail head ...

Getting deeper into the desert, where the saguaro are *everywhere*

Mingling with the locals ...

A quick pose before the trail gets rougher ...

Time to engage 4H ...

Getting closer to the canyon ...

My wife, who is very outdoorsy and who's been four wheeling/camping/back country traveling with me for over 20 years, started stressing at about this point ... both a combination of trail obstacles set in narrow spaces and the general narrowing of the canyon, along with the fact our FJ is only a month old. Very Happy

No problem ... there's tons of room!

It's mostly pretty easy stuff ...

This was a nice section. Kudos to my 12 y/o, who took a number of the trail photos while I drove.

Historic site. We turned back maybe a mile after this point.

Stopped often to admire some of the desert beauty ...

My daughter noticed this heart-shaped prickly pear ...

Cactus we spotted trying to take flight ...

A natural spring left us a puddle to splash through ...

Purdy landscapes ...

This is on the way out (south/Florence end) ... stunning desert vistas, with an unbelievable number of saguaro.

And a pano ...

The FJ earned some desert pinstripes on the trail. Glad it's white!

CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Holy Flickr photo slowdown....It's still trying to load...LOL...

Nice shots though.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Great 1st Post!

Bliss
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Nice Pics. I love that trail...so scenic.

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Greatest first post of all time

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: