Wednesday, June 28, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Mrjoel326
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1943

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 31
Total: 31
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Any of you experts who are familiar with this trail want to lead this Noobie and his family around it tomorrow (5/20)?

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

AZFJRAY and I ran this today with a Jeep friend of mine. The Funtrek book talks about the waterall area being a major obstacle. We checked it out and I really don't know how an FJ would get up it in its current state. So we took an alternate longer route around instead of the recommended bypass. I think it was well worth it and very scenic. I wouldn't do this trail solo since there are a few spots where spotting is required and you could get stuck. I got high centered in one spot early on. I probably could have ran up the rock a bit quicker and made it over but after seeing Raymond's close clearance (His truck sits higher than my stock FJ) I was being cautious and got stuck. No big deal we just hooked up a strap and pulled me over. Fun trail. Not my favorite but still worth doing.

Here's my GAIA GPS Track. We ran South to North and checked out the major obstacle listed in the FunTrek book. We didn't take the suggested bypass but instead took a nice uphill 4WD trail.

cloud.gaiagps.com/publ...VQ/Aerial/

Stuck-O-Rama 1st time in my FJ. Part technique goof and part just not enough clearance. Raymond to the rescue!

Nice view from the top of the alternate trail (bypass)

All my images from today: flic.kr/s/aHsjK2stMn
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

FYI- That red hill you were playing on is a closed area. I am sure the sign no longer exists due to some asshat but it was posted and is closed.

I would double check with someone prior to trusting the Fourtreks book. Some of the listed trails are now closed such as Martinez Canyon.

Here are the maps for the Florence area.
www.blm.gov/az/st/en/p...-docs.html

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

That obstacle looks like 'ELVIS' and yes, with careful spotting you can get over that, just ask Blue10, he did it stock with street tires. I ripped my L front bumper wing off on that. He tore his lower bumper off too. All in all an excellent day.
IT's a knarly trail.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
FYI- That red hill you were playing on is a closed area. I am sure the sign no longer exists due to some asshat but it was posted and is closed.

I would double check with someone prior to trusting the Fourtreks book. Some of the listed trails are now closed such as Martinez Canyon.

Yep no signage. I don't see where on the link you provided which map to view for this area. Are you saying the entire trail or just the hill? Since it looks like that trail does continue on way back towards Coke Ovens.

I see this map but not a defined closure:
www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc...S_R11E.pdf

So appreciate any education on this. My current version of the Funtrek book does show Martinez Canyon as closed.
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

1Louder wrote:
Angry_Tim wrote:

Yep no signage. I don't see where on the link you provided which map to view for this area. Are you saying the entire trail or just the hill? Since it looks like that trail does continue on way back towards Coke Ovens.

I see this map but not a defined closure:
www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc...S_R11E.pdf

So appreciate any education on this. My current version of the Funtrek book does show Martinez Canyon as closed.

I will say this also, with fear of starting another f'ed up fight, the Coke Ovens are on private property and are CLOSED. I have personally spoken to the owner.
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

The deal is if the route is not on the maps provided by the BLM, USFS, or any other land manager the route is closed. You as the user are responsible to know what is open or not, sucks but that's the way it is.
The link should lead you to the Tucson BLM site which has all the info the Middle Gila Canyons Transportation & Travel Management Plan.

azfj.org/index.php?nam...pic&t=4962

The feds have them as well. He is the one for Coconino National Forest.

www.fs.usda.gov/detail...rdb5356224

Most of this info is on the forums, just gotta look. Does your book list the Martinez Cabins as a trail? If so it's closed. No more visits to the cabins thanks to the douchebag asshats of the world.

Bruce I don't mind starting a fight, haven't had a good one as if late, Wink

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
1Louder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

My book does NOT list the Martinez Cabins trail. It shows closed on the map for Box Canyon. Coke Ovens is still in there with the disclaimer that it may be on private property.

Not a valid excuse if one gets stopped I guess but those maps are pretty useless. They don't show the fine detail when on the trail and I can't use them in my preferred GPS application. Now if they would list a GPS point that is a reference for the beginning of a closed trail I would be happy ot add that. I use the USGS topo maps available with the GAIA application.

I didn't see anything on Red Hill being closed on the forums but that doesn't mean I couldn't have missed it.

I would be more than happy to build and page and maintain it with said reference points if people want to contribute to that list.
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Yup that's the waterfall... it looks nasty and impossible but note the fairly smooth straight line along the very left side. There's a bit of a ledge at the bottom and another at the top, but very doable. Pics of FJ's at the bottom/top and going both directions are in the first page of this thread.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
AZFJRay
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
That obstacle looks like 'ELVIS' and yes, with careful spotting you can get over that, just ask Blue10, he did it stock with street tires. I ripped my L front bumper wing off on that. He tore his lower bumper off too. All in all an excellent day.
IT's a knarly trail.

Any pictures or video of this?

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

That's not Elvis, this is:

Similar in that it's a huge wide slab of rock but that's about it...

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Mr. Tibaal,

I hereforth assign you to lead an expedition to aforementioned trail known as, "Elvis"

With your experience and knowledge I hope to gain and garner additional skill in trial and tribulation on this trail.

In other words....have been wanting to do Elvis for a while and need a trail guide and you should take that job! Smile

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

ah Elvis, the trail of tears and tears (teers&tares)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Chigoe
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Box Canyon run today...the box is full of sand and rock around the obstacles, so very smooth and quite easy.....needs a real good flash flood to make it right. No signs of re-posting "closed" signs on the little red hill...looks quite well used. New structures along the train track road out along the river.

azsnowbur
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Canyon (Florence Junction) - 2.5 Reply with quote

Is there a gas station near by that I could air up at?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: