Monday, October 15, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: bmbFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2057

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 151
Total: 152
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: tibaal89 > Forums

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Jimbolio's "Precious"
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Jimbolio's "Precious"
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

ArizonaMitch wrote:
Over the years I've seen them ripped off of the roof rack. I've seen considerable roof damage done to other vehicles. The Hi-Lift is usually much stronger than the racks or the roof, so to answer your question:

Just curious - you say over the years you've seen them ripped off the roof rack. How many? single digit? tens of incidents? hundreds? My guess the number is low and most likely due to pilot error. Can't speak for others but I don't tend to drive fast thru tight low trees with branches large enough to rip a hi-lift off the rack or destroy the mounts I have. I am going slow enough to be able to to determine if something is going to be a potenial problem like hooking my hi-lift, if I just ignore it and the hi-lift gets ripped off then it's my own fault. If I come to that situation and cannot get thru then out comes the axe to remove problem branch. Not enough of a concern to worry about in my opinion.

Again sorry for the thread hijack Jimbolio.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

No worries my friend. That's why I have an axe and Machete now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Pauly
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

riigggghhhhhhtttt..... you keep stressing your mount location. Ill spend my time ensuring I have a good line.

blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

ArizonaMitch wrote:
Seriously? I think that is the last damn place you should mount a Hi-Lift.

Can't comment on the shoes...

My point is, it don't much matter. It's not that you or this Barefooted Cactus Jack character has an invalid argument, it's just a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Finn wrote:
What's wrong with open toed shoes and shorts?

....and then a problem that refuses every solution that is offered.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
Just curious - you say over the years you've seen them ripped off the roof rack. How many? single digit? tens of incidents? hundreds? My guess the number is low and most likely due to pilot error. Can't speak for others but I don't tend to drive fast thru tight low trees with branches large enough to rip a hi-lift off the rack or destroy the mounts I have. I am going slow enough to be able to to determine if something is going to be a potenial problem like hooking my hi-lift, if I just ignore it and the hi-lift gets ripped off then it's my own fault. If I come to that situation and cannot get thru then out comes the axe to remove problem branch. Not enough of a concern to worry about in my opinion.

Jeez, talk about the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Of course it's low. Partly because not everyone mounts theirs on the side to start with, regardless of what this thread would imply.

So, nothing unexpected has ever occurred to you off-road? Your vehicle stays right where you place it every single time... it's never slid and encountered something you hadn't planned on? Because whenever I see a dent in an FJ body it always seems to involve something happening that the driver didn't actually choose to have happen, and in spite of all their planning. FWIW, that's how it happened the first time I saw it.

My point was: Why spend time calculating what the odds are of it happening are, if there is an alternative that removes it as a possibility? Or is that just defective logic on my part?

blue10 wrote:
It's not that you or this Barefooted Cactus Jack character has an invalid argument, it's just a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

??? I assume by that, you mean it hasn't happened to you yet, or you haven't seen it happen yet?

Pauly wrote:
riigggghhhhhhtttt..... you keep stressing your mount location. Ill spend my time ensuring I have a good line.

You're right... you're obviously just better at this than anyone I've ever known in the 35+ years I've been out there watching people doing this. I yield to your superior knowledge and experience.

Everybody is an adult here, and at least for the near future, this is a free country, so everyone should hang their jack wherever they want to... in front of the windshield if they want to.

Moving on now...

FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

mIne is mounted to passenger side. Never been a problem for over 4 years.

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...261,000 miles
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Would you guys mind taking this to the HI LIFT MOUNTING LOCATION thread instead of my BUILD thread? Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
conejo
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Would you guys mind taking this to the HI LIFT MOUNTING LOCATION thread instead of my BUILD thread? Thanks.

You must be new here.

KF7YII
FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:

Thread jack complete.

Jagaliscious
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
I have a nice crack about 8 inches long

Johanlee wrote:
Correctly grasp the narrow mountain road.
FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

OK, now it's complete.

Pauly
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Sorry jimbo, just disagreed with the guy. Didn't think he'd get all menstral about it. How those tires working out for ya?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Haven't tested them in the Outdoor Laboratory yet (Saturday) but they Humm nice on the free way, and drive strait. Like them a lot.

Pauly
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

If Sedona gets wet again this year that should be a goods, them red rocks get slippery.

blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

ArizonaMitch wrote:

??? I assume by that, you mean it hasn't happened to you yet, or you haven't seen it happen yet?.

That is correct.

Perhaps when it happens, not once, but three times, I'll identify the pattern and make necessary adjustments, but so far I've been through enough tight vegetation to have not just scratched, but thoroughly dented the sides of my truck, and destroyed a number of CB and HAM antenna-ea-ii-s (plural?) and the jack remains well affixed. From where I sit, I don't foresee a problem.

BTW - Why are you taking this so personally? The intensity of the replies seems out of scope with the rest of the conversation.

And to keep the thread on some footing for JB: Good job on buying the right tires, J-Bolio!

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: