Thursday, July 19, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KScruiser
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2034

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 98
Total: 98
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › Member Buildups › Jimbolio's "Precious"
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Jimbolio's "Precious"
Please share with the community what you've done to your truck and anything else you've learned getting there.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Ah, very good. There are people who will argue to the death about stupid crap like that. Make up some super advanced reason for why it has to be a certain way when it doesn't matter, ridicule others for different choice, profit.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

But I think Chuck is like 'Honey Badger' with the bare feet and Sandals. Rocks, cactus, Gila Monsters! He doesn't give a $#1T

He put on the sandals when he says there are 'stickers' .

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

7th Mod
NEW SHOES: 66,740 05/11/2012
4 x Hankook Dynapro MT 285/75/R16. (Spare purchased the previous Friday so now there are 5)

Soon will be the All Pro Bumper(in hand), Synthetic Rope(being upgraded) and one day, Winch.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

blue10 wrote:
I don't want to contradict what the master has taught you, but a smart private would mount his Hi-Lift on the side of his rack, and he'd wear real shoes when out in the nowhere.

Seriously? I think that is the last damn place you should mount a Hi-Lift.

Can't comment on the shoes...

Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

What's wrong with open toed shoes and shorts?

Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

ArizonaMitch wrote:
blue10 wrote:
I don't want to contradict what the master has taught you, but a smart private would mount his Hi-Lift on the side of his rack, and he'd wear real shoes when out in the nowhere.

So if you have a hi-lift where on the FJ did you mount it? Not a lot of options.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
ArizonaMitch wrote:
blue10 wrote:

So if you have a hi-lift where on the FJ did you mount it? Not a lot of options.

Back of the rack, low, where it doesn't catch on anything... and the weight is evenly distributed. Gets into the garage easily.

I modified the BajaRack mounts and posted photos on the thread about "where did you mount your Hi-Lift"

Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Can't do that due to roof top tent opens to the back. Can't get into garage anyway, damn 7'door.

Thread hijack done.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Angry_Tim wrote:
Can't do that due to roof top tent opens to the back. Can't get into garage anyway, damn 7'door.

Thread hijack done.

Well then, modify the mounts and get the damned thing as close to the rack as humanly possible. Not ideal, but the best you can do...

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Problem is the Billet Mounts I got from FJLarry only fit on the top Pipe. I haven't caught the jack on anything yet. The front lights stick up further.

Pauly
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

My highlift is on the side of my rack, dosnt seem to catch on mutch of anything, at least nothing that can harm a highlift... What's yours made of? Mines steel, branches are wood, highlift wins. I have cought mine while reversing into a spot in a parking garage, bent the crap out of the aluminum rail inside the garage, highlift won again! And it made me stop before I damaged my roof mounted go lights. So of all the off road knowledge that is required to be proficient at this sport we all love, why is this a topic of argument?

ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
My highlift is on the side of my rack, dosnt seem to catch on mutch of anything, at least nothing that can harm a highlift... What's yours made of? Mines steel, branches are wood, highlift wins. I have cought mine while reversing into a spot in a parking garage, bent the crap out of the aluminum rail inside the garage, highlift won again! And it made me stop before I damaged my roof mounted go lights. So of all the off road knowledge that is required to be proficient at this sport we all love, why is this a topic of argument?

Over the years I've seen them ripped off of the roof rack. I've seen considerable roof damage done to other vehicles. The Hi-Lift is usually much stronger than the racks or the roof, so to answer your question:

1) My Hi-Lift is made of serious steel
2) My roof rack is made of considerably weaker steel
3) My roof is made of thin sheet metal

So it's a physics experiment like E=MC2... the Hi-lift wins and all the more expensive stuff loses.

So to turn it into a MasterCard commercial:

Tree: free
Hi-Lift Jack: $99

Losing a rack or an FJ roof: $700-$1,000's...

For all of those losses you'll need a MasterCard... priceless

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

I ripped my HiLift off my roof many years ago at Table Mesa... it's probably still in/near the river. Good fun! Very Happy

Mount broke off rack, minimal damage to rack, got lucky on the body (little dent in the roof, obscured by existing larger dents).

check out my BLOG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
ArizonaMitch
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
I ripped my HiLift off my roof many years ago at Table Mesa... it's probably still in/near the river. Good fun! Very Happy

Mount broke off rack, minimal damage to rack, got lucky on the body (little dent in the roof, obscured by existing larger dents).

Well there's an argument for not over engineering the mounts if I ever heard one.

You make a good point... best to have the mounts give up before the rack does...

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbolio's "Precious" Reply with quote

Yea, it kinda depends... if you're caught on a tree it would be nice to have the mounts break away and leave everything else basically OK. If you're in an accident on the highway or something though, you probably would rather have some rack/roof crumpling than the HiLift turning into a missile and maybe giving somebody a really bad day.

check out my BLOG

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Member Buildups All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: