Saturday, June 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: KICKROCKS
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1942

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 38
Total: 38
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › DESOTO MINE 3.5
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
DESOTO MINE 3.5
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJBRUZZY
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: DESOTO MINE 3.5 Reply with quote

Desoto Mine (North Phoen., Prescott)3.5

Synopsis
Remote challenging trail that passes by Desoto Mine. Plan for all day trip. Obstacles vary from narrow rocky canyon with water (depending when you drive it), tippy washed out sections, steep climbs and down. Even though decent ground clearance is required, stock FJ made it through this trail with spotter.
Difficulty
Good articulation and proper tire placement is a must! Spot is advisable. Do not go along. Carry plenty of water.

Length About 12 miles, about 4-6 hours (took us 5-6 hours with 7 vehicles). It is about 40 miles from EXIT 258 to get to the start of the trail and 18 miles to the highway from the end of the trail.

Location Southwest of Prescott between Senator Highway and Cleator

Previous Run
AZFJ Desoto Mine Trail Run 3/8/09

GPS Coordinates:
1) 0 miles N 34*19’12.6” W 112*22’04.3”
2) 2.1 miles N 34*18’15.5” W 112*20’31.0”
3) 4.0 miles N 34*17’58.0” W 112*19’19.8”
4) 4.7 miles N 34*18’01.8” W 112*18’59.9”
5) 7.2 miles N 34*17’38.9” W 112*17’22.6”
6) 8.5 miles N 34*17’08.6” W 112*16’57.5”
7)11.7 miles N 34*16’37.3” W 112*15’09.8”

Miss_Artoo
Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DESOTO MINE 3.5 Reply with quote

Woo hoo another trail review! I think you want this in that section?

Thanks for contributing Bruzzy! I know Josh and I make it a habit now to tell folks we meet out on the trails about our trail reviews section here. We really have a great little library going and I'm happy to share it with others!

Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DESOTO MINE 3.5 Reply with quote

awesome, love the videos! If anyone has a GPS GPX trail (or any file format at all) send it to me and I'll be happy to post it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: DESOTO MINE 3.5 Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the writeup! Very Happy

I've never done this one... definitely want to. Yummm...

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
copperone
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: DESOTO MINE 3.5 Reply with quote

Great video.

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DESOTO MINE 3.5 Reply with quote

I ran this trail yesterday and have an update.

A lot of times, trail ratings are subjective, and I think this is more like a hard 3.0 instead of a 3.5.

I think Hackberry is much more challenging and is a true 3.5, and I think Charleau Gap in a way is more challenging than this trail and Charleau is rated a 3.0.

That being said, this was a great trail and had some challenges, was a lot of fun, and was beautiful!

There are different ways to get to the trailhead and we started in Mayer, by the Mayer Cemetery and then drove in about 14 miles to the trailhead.

The first part of the trail is some fun boulder crawling, nothing too technical and careful wheel placement gets you through fine.

There is one challenging section in the beginning, which the video above in the original review depicts.

After that, there are some hill climbs and you do a long hill climb to "the Wall". Not too hard, just a little daunting, considering its at the top of a hill and you're blind as you climbing.

After that, its all downhill and this is where the trail gets a little hairier.

There is a fun short climb that is way dug out that you will for sure do a wheelie on to climb out.

After that, a lot of washed out, VERY tippy rutty spots on the way down. Be very careful as you are along the side of the mountain and it can funky pretty quickly.

Near the end of the trail, you take the "chute" which is a sliding, turny, and a little bit tippy end obstacle that is pretty fun.

Then you end up on Desoto Mine, which after the trek, is a little underwhelming as far as mines go as there are many more "glorious" mines if that's what your end game is.

watch out for snakes!

Beautiful views!

All in all, though, a great trail which will certainly require a good trail leader and careful wheeling.

Rest of the Album and another video
s1076.photobucket.com/...2011-09-13
www.youtube.com/v/QNUP...6NZh2p397w
www.youtube.com/v/PuIc...6NZh2p397w

"New England Patriots - 2017 Superbowl Champs!"
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DESOTO MINE 3.5 Reply with quote

Gopher/bull snake( non poisionus)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: