Sunday, August 20, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: RideAndHover
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1960

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 30
Total: 30
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.0*
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.0*
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.0* Reply with quote

Synopsis
*<5/19/2012 -edit- Rating dropped to 2.0 as the road was graded from the East to West sides, All interesting obstacles are graded now>
We shaved about an Hour off of the transit time due to this. Even the not recommended for passenger vehicle signs were removed. Sad

Little-used mining road crosses Santa Rita Mountains from Interstate 19 to Hwy. 82 south of Patagonia. See mines along the route and adobe ruins at Alto Camp, once a community of several hundred people. The post office was active until 1933. (Now just a pile of adobe walls)
Narrow, rocky shelf road at higher elevations. Suitable for high clearance stock SUVs. Remote location

We'll ran it from East to West. (Not the route below but backwards)

Pategonia==>Solero ==>Bull Springs ==> Amado

Difficulty This trail is a 2.5, can do this in a stock FJ with little problem. You can run this trail from West to East or East to west as it goes from Amado to Patagonia in Santa Cruz County. The Bull Springs portion is more difficult than the Solero rd. portion (Graded for 2 wh Drive) but there is a nice side trail to Squaw Gulch. (4x4 needed on that)

Airing down to 20psi and the use of Four Low (4L) made the trip downhill much more comfortable

If you are afraid of heights, you may be concerned by the shelf road, that has a 500 - 1000 foot drop off. (Not vertical, but steep) Some narrow sections on this cause even me to get a lump in my throat. (If you go E-W the driver will be on the down hill side!)

Length This is a 32 Mile trip from Pategonia to I-19. We started from Houghton/I-10 at 10:00, Dizzyspots and Jimbolio were eating at Dennys (I/19-Duval) at 7:30 PM. Round trip home to home was 102 miles.

Location From Pategonia - Go south about 1 mile, and look for an unmarked road on the right that looks like it goes down into the trees (Because it does). If you cross a creek right away, you know you are in the right place. N31 30.915 W-110 47.348

Crossing Pategonia Creek at the TIRE WASH

Click here for a Video of the Sonoita Creek Crossing

From the West - Exit I-19 at the Amado exit - Go on the East side frontage road, head south and look for Elephant Head rd, then turn R onto the Mount Hopkins road, head up that and keep a sharp eye out for the little sign that says "143" just a skinny plastic one. BUT, across the road there is a wood sign that says "BULL SPRINGS Trail" N31 44.268 W-111 01.339

Mount Hopkins RD - The Trail Head on the W.Side (143 marker)

Aerial of the trail:

To See Full Size Click here

Pictures

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail
(01/30/2009)
azfj.org/index.php?nam...143+solero

(02/22/2009)
azfj.org/index.php?nam...amp;t=1901

(09/10/2011)
azfj.org/index.php?nam...4947#94947

(05/19/2012)
azfj.org/index.php?nam...mp;start=0

GPS Track

Last edited by Jimbolio on Sun May 20, 2012 8:17 am; edited 12 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

great review! Looks like a nice trail.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
CopDoc
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Are we gonna run this puppy on some Sunday morning soon? Or are you just teasing? Good info. I'd like to run this with company.

Doc

I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Doc, the next time we run this will be a Campout, thanks to DAV-AZ and Tibaal89's scouting trip to find a spot. Stay tuned.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Awesome! Nice writeup and thanks for contributing! Very Happy

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
CopDoc
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Thanks Partner, I was hoping for a camp out. See you then for sure.

Rubber side down,

Doc

I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
Awesome! Nice writeup and thanks for contributing! Very Happy

Well, I was waiting for you to do it , AND I would appreciate if you would supplement what I have here. You have a gift for prose. Please edit my post and make it 'remarkable' If you could make the Aerial and post it, I think that would make it compleat!

Muchas Gracias! Khukri Man.....

Smile
It is claimed that a Khukri has never been broken in battle. This is not as surprising as it sounds. The knife in modern times is most often made from leaf springs taken from trucks. It is a full quarter inch in thickness, and is hand hammered to shape over a forge, and carefully hardened along the edge. The high carbon content of the spring steel, when selectively hardened, produces a duality of hardness in the steel, whereby the blade can be flexed without breaking, yet it will take and hold an edge.
Like an FJ?

Last edited by Jimbolio on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Ha! I've got a dozen others I could write and haven't gotten around to... and my blog, oh God how behind I am on my blog! Laughing

Definitely a quality review you've got here!

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
deaz
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Ended up running this with some Jeeps yesterday. I feel it's only a 2.0 trail... mainly just super bumpy. Ran East to West and got to i-19 just after dark.

Did love that shelf road, great at sunset.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
[...
It is claimed that a Khukri has never been broken in battle. This is not as surprising as it sounds. The knife in modern times is most often made from leaf springs taken from trucks. It is a full quarter inch in thickness, and is hand hammered to shape over a forge, and carefully hardened along the edge. The high carbon content of the spring steel, when selectively hardened, produces a duality of hardness in the steel, whereby the blade can be flexed without breaking, yet it will take and hold an edge.
Like an FJ?

for reference:
nepalkhukurihouse.com/...ukuri.php#
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Did you go up the Skull Valley to the Mohawk Mine?

deaz
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
Did you go up the Skull Valley to the Mohawk Mine?

No. We got a late start on the trail after a morning through one of the canyon trails (can't remember which one it was) and time spent at a couple of the wineries, so we just pushed through the trail, didn't take any of the spur trails.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.5 Reply with quote

That means you have an excuse to go BACK!!

landman
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.0* Reply with quote

Hey,
Has anyone done this recently? I know it was down graded to 2.0, but its been a few years since the grading happened on it so I'm wondering what its current conditions are like?
Thanks!
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Solero-Bull Springs Trail (FR 143) 2.0* Reply with quote

We did it last May and it was still in very good shape, except for the part 4Gaugesurprise got stuck in. But that was more wash out rut that could be avoided.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: