Wednesday, October 17, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: bmbFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2057

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 166
Total: 166
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Need an alarm suggestion
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Need an alarm suggestion
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

Anyone have a suggestion for a good alarm for the FJ? The FJ can't fit in the garage any longer (actually hasn't been in the garage for quite some time) and we've had a lot of theft in the neighborhood recently. Anyone have one they don't hate?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
ZenPunk
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

I always hear compustar is a good choice.

www.compustar.org/

www.compustar.com/main.htm

Also here is a very good installation facility, they do excellent work.

www.signatureaudiousa.com/
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

thanks, are you using one of their systems?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
ZenPunk
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

Not at the moment, had some friends that loved them.
I will most probably be getting one in the future.
Tax_Payer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

I would go with a Viper 791XV. It is a responder series that has the little pager that will let you know if anything is going on with your FJ. I had one in my 4runner and it was awesome.
kiskat23
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

Not the factory one its nutin but, trouble. K
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

I've been happy with vipers electronics in the past, so that's something I'll probably take a close look at.

Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

DEI is the best alarm company out there IMO:

DEI Alarms

Viper and Python are their top of the line alarms, personally I like Pythons better than Vipers because of the main brain seams to be little less sensitive and easier to upgrade/program. I've never liked the Viper setups however I seam to be in that boat alone...

Hornet is your best bang for the buck, if your looking for something cheap, thats the way to go.

If you want to go insane with something that can be programed to do almost anything, then Clifford is the way to go! The wiring for Ciffords can be so complex and different from any other alarm system out there that most thiefs have no clue what they are looking at...

Any of the other alarm names that DEI makes I don't have a lot of experience with so I couldn't tell ya how they are...

The good thing with any of the DEI systems is that most sensors and/or upgrades are interchangeable, most guys in the store will tell you no but it can be done.

AZFJ#4

"If I were any less of a man I would have totally just died" - tibaal89
"sometimes my brain farts even shocking to me." - SealClubber
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

Have you ever tried any of the computech stuff Dan? I'm not sure if DEI is doing this yet, but their 2 way stuff works at a much greater distance due to 900MHz and slightly better antennas. Although DEI makes so much these days I can't say for sure if they have something that competes or not with it.

Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

I'm not sure... you will have to do some reading up. Most of DEI has the one mile range SST system.

AZFJ#4

PSFAN
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

Python model902
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

I'm looking at this one at the moment:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...0307152543

Anyone comment on how hard these are to install. Dan?

Speedy
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

R2,

A Ravelco is on my list. They have never had a vehicle stolen but it does not provide protection against break in. Could be an option for you to go along with a regular alarm.

www.ravelco.com/

Cheers,
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

Interesting, I hadn't really thought about specific kill devices but that one looks like it would work quite well. Thanks for the heads up!

Pumbaa
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need an alarm suggestion Reply with quote

Mr_R2FJ wrote:
I'm looking at this one at the moment:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...0307152543

Anyone comment on how hard these are to install. Dan?

I don't have personal experience with that specific unit however I have had several of the Pythons 500 to 1000 series in the past and have installed tons of them. Python is my 1st choice for several reasons: Easy to install, easy to program, has no problems with the AZ heat, sensitivity is easy to adjust, doesn't give you issues like most alarms and can be upgraded.

On that note, the biggest problem with most alarms is the installer. Most (if not all) shops that install alarms use bud connectors and wire crimps. Not a good thing for a unit that has control over you being able to start the car or not. Who ever installs the unit, make sure that it will be soldered in and that they hide the unit!!! Usually they just through the unit under the dash, and its easy to see what wires are for the alarm...

AZFJ#4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: