Wednesday, July 26, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: kyle.hoefer
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1949

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 75
Total: 76
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: AZFJ4AK > Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Backway to Crown King - 3.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Backway to Crown King - 3.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Backway to Crown King - 3.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
This is the more challenging way to get to Crown King. It is a rather fun trail, but may be a bit difficult for the beginner. The trail continues to get rougher every time I've driven it so be cautious. If driven after a rainfall, expect a slippery mud mess, if driven during the dry season, expect a bumpy dusty drive.

Group Size
I've done this trail with upwards of 13 vehicles, however, I'd suggest smaller groups around 5 or so vehicles. The smaller groups are easier to manage when traffic is coming the opposite way. It also takes less time with a smaller group as there seems to be less stops that way. If a large group wanted to do this trail, I'd almost suggest breaking into two groups about an hour apart.

Difficulty
3.0 - This trail can be done with most any shorter wheelbase vehicle. A lift, rock rails, and skid plates might be helpful, but with caution a stock vehicle shouldn't have too many problems. I wouldn't suggest any full size vehicles on this trail. There are also some fun challenging spots however all of these have bypasses.

Length
This trip is a full day trip, plan on leaving in the morning and arriving in Crown King by evening, by the time you get back to Phoenix, I'd say its around 8 hours depending on group size and how often and long you stop.

Northwest Phoenix. Trail starts off of Carefree Highway at Castle Hot Springs Rd.

Pictures

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail
azfj.org/index.php?nam...pic&t=3799

GPS Track
GPS Track attached below. Track runs from Castle Hot Springs to I-17

(edited by tibaal89, 12/13/10, changed difficulty)
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

Previous azfj run:
www.azfj.org/index.php...opic&t=798

and some more great pictures

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

And if you want...you can make it as hard as you want!!!

Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

hah cool picture!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
ttaz
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

Homedad wrote:
And if you want...you can make it as hard as you want!!!

I've been up that section in my 85 Toyota. I haven't tried it in the FJ yet. How does it go? Can a 3" lifted FJ with 33's and stock bumpers make it without too much damage?
SpeshulEd
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

I'd say yes...I think I remember where this section is...and I'm pretty sure I went up it with a lift and 285's...no skids.

However...I had a dent in my stock bumper after the day, but no idea where it came from.

I think the FJ can go just about anywhere within reason if you keep it slow and steady.
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

I've been over every available optional with 3" and 275/70/17's... this trail is really ideal for some moderate fun in the FJ, damage is extremely unlikely if you're doing it right - i.e. SLOW and careful like Ed says! Very Happy

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

Should mention the metal that sticks up out of the ground at the sharp left turn at the top of the obstacle right near the hotel ruins.... I've seen a few tires meet their doom on that thing!

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
ttaz
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

Sounds good. It's been a while since I did it, but I remember that section being one of the toughest parts of the trail (unless you take the bypass of course).
copperone
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

This trail looks like a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Were stock but if its a slow and easy go we might be OK.

sicc_soul916
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

I think I'd bump this trail up to a 3.0 Was up there yesterday (3/19/09) and the washouts have made this trail a bit difficult. I have a stock FJ with lockers and a-trac, and they were definitely used. We made it, but it was definitely slow going.

Mobius012
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

crazycarwes
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

Doc towed a broke ass 2 wd f150 through there in his FJ, I say we bump this trail down a notch or two... Twisted Evil
Disruptor
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

The rating might need to be updated here soon after all the rains.

C-Fish wrote:
Best quote...last video.
"Give it alot of gas and turn that way"... Shocked
Said by me spotting on the last Obstacle going up the Back Way to Crown King.
bushwacker
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Backway to Crown King - 2.5 Reply with quote

Who wants to get a group together on a Saturday and Re-check this trail?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: