Tuesday, October 24, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: mountaineer09
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1980

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 36
Total: 36
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Arizona Land Useage Permits
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Arizona Land Useage Permits
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

Use this information to find out what permits and/or information is necessary to travel on the various off highway areas in Arizona.

If you don't want to read through all of this, use the following link to find the area you're interested in and basic info.
www.maricopa.gov/parks...px#bulldog

The following info will give you a breakdown on the various organizations you may need to contact to gain either permission or permits for OHV areas.

Land Management Organizations

Arizona Trust Land
This is privately owned land that is managed by the State Land Department. It is not public land and a special permit is required to camp, hike, or otherwise travel on these areas where permitted to do so.

You can see the leased land areas in this interactive map (blue boxes), as an example many areas up in the "table mesa" area are ATL areas.
sco.az.gov/website/par...viewer.htm

The permit costs $15 per year for an individual, details here:
www.land.state.az.us/p...permit.htm

BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
BLM Arizona administers 12.2 million surface acres of public lands, along with another 17.5 million subsurface acres within the state. Field Offices throughout the state provide on-the-ground field management: Arizona Strip, Hassayampa, Kingman, Lake Havasu, Lower Sonoran, Safford, Tucson and Yuma. Arizona BLM management, coordination and direction come from the Arizona State Office.

Here is the info on areas that BLM specifically manages for recreational vehicles (includes info on El Camino Del Diablo). Fees and permits vary depending on location.
www.blm.gov/az/outrec/...oareas.htm

Indian Reservations
While several tribes provide excellent recreational opportunities, all travel in reservations is restricted to public roads unless you have a permit from the particular tribe.

If you plan on traveling in a particular Indian reservation *outside of standard freeway travel* you should contact the appropriate tribe representative to find out their regulations concerning off highway travel. Here's a few links to get you started.

Tribes of Arizona
www.indianaffairs.stat...rizona.asp

You can find several links directly to a particular tribe here:
www.indianaffairs.stat.../links.asp

US National Forest
National forest areas may all have their own permits and restrictions as well. You can read about each forest in Arizona below. Some forest areas require permits for travel and/or camping and some do not. These are also great resources for finding closures and current conditions in those areas.

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest
www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/passes/

Coconino National Forest
www.fs.fed.us/r3/cocon...ndex.shtml

Coronado National Forest
www.fs.fed.us/r3/coron...sses.shtml

Kaibab National Forest
www.fs.fed.us/r3/passes/

Prescott National Forest
www.fs.fed.us/r3/presc...ndex.shtml

Tonto National Forest
www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/passes/

Various other links

Arizona Game and Fish
The AZG&F also provides information on several OHV areas that may be useful, but doesn't appear to actually be responsible for permits or restriction where travel is concerned.

You can read about most of the areas in Arizona that the AZG&F is involved in here:
www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_...ails.shtml

Maracopa gov site
Cypher linked to another good info site that gives a map of many popular OHV areas and information on those areas. This is a GREAT map to help figure out who manages the particular land you want to travel on.

Land stats
Public, State and Tribal Land in Arizona: 82.4% of total land base
Federal: 42.2 %--Primarily National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Land Management, which are all part of the U.S. Department of the Interior; and the Forest Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
State: 12.8%--State Land Department (State Parks and Game and Fish Department also manage a small percentage of state lands). The 9.4 million acres of State Trust land were granted to Arizona by the federal government when Arizona became a state. Managed by the State Land Department, State Trust land is not considered public land and must be used to generate revenue to fund public schools, universities and other state institutions. A recreation permit is required for any activity on State Trust land.
Tribal: 27.4%--21 Indian Reservations, contact individual tribes before recreating on reservation lands; many require a permit.
Private: 17.6%--Permission of the landowner is required to use privately owned lands

more?!? this is what I've come up with so far.

Last edited by Mr_R2FJ on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:53 am; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

It would be good to see some text on the Sportsman-Landowner Respect Program since a number of trails pass through areas affected by this program.

Yetti
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

You may also want to add the Bull Dog canyon permit info to for those that don't have it.

Good links so far.

Also we need to plan a Camino run for around March-ish. Weekend run so people can go easier. I got my permit at the Central location. Really nice people and cool offroad book store there.

Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

Thanks for starting this! There is huge confusion in the community about what's what with permits... I know I don't have it straight.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

Sounds good! I'll do some research on those. If you guys have any links to that stuff please help me out by providing it! Who controls the bull dog canyon permit?

I need to figure out a way to list all the areas and what permits are required. It might make sense to put that info where available in the trail reviews.

thanks for the feedback!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

Here is a link to info on the Landowner Respect program:
www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_...pect.shtml

As far as I know Bulldog is governed by the Tonto National Forest Service.:

"22. Bulldog Canyon OHV Area Top
Located near Phoenix, with access from Mesa at Usery Pass Road, off of the Bush Highway. Vehicle travel allowed only on routes designated open. All routes other than FR10, 12, 1356, 3512, 3556, and 3554 closed to travel. Permit required. Low desert. Contact Tonto National Forest, Mesa Ranger District for a required permit (480) 610-3300."

Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

I'm trying to focus more on legality and permits in this particular thread. How does the Landowner Respect program impact that? It wasn't apparent to me after reading the info on AZG&F.

Cypher wrote:
Here is a link to info on the Landowner Respect program:
www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_...pect.shtml

As far as I know Bulldog is governed by the Tonto National Forest Service.:

"22. Bulldog Canyon OHV Area Top
Located near Phoenix, with access from Mesa at Usery Pass Road, off of the Bush Highway. Vehicle travel allowed only on routes designated open. All routes other than FR10, 12, 1356, 3512, 3556, and 3554 closed to travel. Permit required. Low desert. Contact Tonto National Forest, Mesa Ranger District for a required permit (480) 610-3300."

Cypher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

Good point Josh. I didn't link the correct page and now I can't find the page I intended to link. Specifically, the page that I intended to link provided information to OHV operators concerning their legal rights while on the property of the land owners who are participating in this program and the legal rights of the land owners. Let me see if I can spend a little time searching for it and then you can decide if that information belongs in this thread. BTW, great idea with this thread!

Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Good point Josh. I didn't link the correct page and now I can't find the page I intended to link. Specifically, the page that I intended to link provided information to OHV operators concerning their legal rights while on the property of the land owners who are participating in this program and the legal rights of the land owners. Let me see if I can spend a little time searching for it and then you can decide if that information belongs in this thread. BTW, great idea with this thread!

oh, that would be helpful indeed! Let me know when you find it and thanks for the help! Man my head is swimming with all the different permits and organizations involved already!

4GRAINR
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

This was an brilliant idea to compile this information. Great resource and I look forward to reading more about it when I get home.

HUGE thank you to Josh and everyone who was contributed to it already!
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

Keep in mind, that it's evolving very quickly right now, so expect it to change often, but I'll keep all the information from this thread in the first post.

OldPhart
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

Sorry bearer of bad news:
ATL
sco.az.gov/website/par...viewer.htm - page not available
www.land.state.az.us/p...permit.htm -got rerouted
BLM
www.blm.gov/az/outrec/...oareas.htm -404

Experience: the ability to recognize a mistake once it is repeated.

Actual rodage may vary:
I get about 323K Rods/Hogshead
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

OldPhart wrote:
Sorry bearer of bad news:
ATL
sco.az.gov/website/par...viewer.htm - page not available
www.land.state.az.us/p...permit.htm -got rerouted

BLM
www.blm.gov/az/outrec/...oareas.htm -404
Mr_R2FJ wrote:
Keep in mind, that it's evolving very quickly right now, so expect it to change often, but I'll keep all the information from this thread in the first post.

You failed to read the last post before yours, which also was 5 years ago. Wink

Those links were posted 5 years ago, things change.
Permit
www.azland.gov/program...permit.htm

Maps
www.azland.gov/webapps/parcel/

BLM
www.blm.gov/az/st/en/p...n/ohv.html

Try google, it works really well. The above links took all of 5 minutes to find.

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
OldPhart
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

I did notice the age.
I thought the top post was worth updating for new members.

Thanks for the update.

Experience: the ability to recognize a mistake once it is repeated.

Actual rodage may vary:
I get about 323K Rods/Hogshead
Angry_Tim
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Arizona Land Useage Permits Reply with quote

OldPhart wrote:
I did notice the age.
I thought the top post was worth updating for new members.

Thanks for the update.

No problem. The admin around here is pre-occupied with other things such as work and life. Not really a good excuse but we accept it. Cool

i'm glad i figured out your shaft was already f'ed up
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: