Tuesday, May 23, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Tonopah
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1930

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 49
Total: 50
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Thunderklees > Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Reviews › Arizona Trail Reviews › Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0
Arizona Trail Reviews only, one thread per trail please!
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexArizona Trail Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Synopsis
Seven Springs is a very scenic drive through central Arizona. It's a combination of Table mesa Rd (east of I17), Seven Springs, and Cave Creek Rd just north of Carefree in the Tonto national forest.

Difficulty
2.0 - A good driver could do this entirely in a stock 2wd FJ, but there are a few ascents that 4wd will come in handy. There can be muddy spots that also would benefit from either speed or a good set of tires/4wd. In addition. there are several river crossings that can potentially make this trail much more difficult after bad weather, but so far I haven't seen anything that would put this over a 2.0. Backcountry adventures book rates it a 5 out of 10.

Length
32.42 Miles

The start of the trail is right of the I17 at Table Mesa Rd to the East. You should see a metal gate just off the I17. The western section of the trail crosses through a mixture of private property and state trust land. Access across the private property is granted under the Sportsman-Landowner Respect Program. Please respect the landowners' property; access can be revoked at any time. To travel this trail, a state land permit is also required.

Aerial of the trail:

Pictures

4Runner's first flex pose. Very Happy

Holy big rocks!

Previous AZFJ Runs to this Trail
www.azfj.org/index.php...pic&t=1629

GPS Track

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Yetti
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Even though this is a very easy trail, it is one of the more scenic short ones in the area. It's a great place for beginners. Good write up.

Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Also how long till the 4 runner is no long an IFS vehicle? I am guessing approx 1 year or less.

Trail Leader
Trail Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Yetti wrote:
Also how long till the 4 runner is no long an IFS vehicle? I am guessing approx 1 year or less.

Ha I have a friend who is a mechanic who already offered to do it for me for $1000, but this is my DD as well, so I doubt that will be happening anytime soon. I'm only working part time right now, the cash flow just isn't there for that kind of thing! Wink

Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Miss_Artoo wrote:
Yetti wrote:

Ha I have a friend who is a mechanic who already offered to do it for me for $1000, but this is my DD as well, so I doubt that will be happening anytime soon. I'm only working part time right now, the cash flow just isn't there for that kind of thing! Wink

I hear you, but we will all see! It's the perfect rig for it. Only major cost is the axle and lockers. Its a huge difference too. Good luck with it no matter what you decide to do down the road.
Yetti
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

When I was in FJ doing the woodpecker years ago there was a guy with your rig SAS'd that was ridiculous!! He walked right through everything. I almost went that route before I got the FJ but I too have the DD issue.

Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

This is a great run and a good one to learn about your FJ on. Not too challenging, but a few spots that will teach you about the vehicle and get you familiar with it. My very first run was on this trail and I have enjoyed a few times since.
4GRAINR
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Just an FYI ...

As of 3/1/09 most of the Seven Springs part has been freshly leveled and smoothed out. The forest road (I think it is 44) to Table Mesa Rd I can't comment on, but the other part is smooth sailing.
blipski
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Just got my FJ a couple weeks ago and saw that this was an easy beginner trail.

That leveling and smoothing has made it a tremendously easy trail. As close to a road with some gravel sprinkled on it as you can get. I do agree with everyone, a scenic drive.
Mr_R2FJ
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's great to have people report here on trail conditions, keeps it fresh!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
angelis
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

Just went on this trail last weekend, good beginner trail but you can tell it has changed a bit with all the rain we have had lately, more rock has been exposed from being washed out.
NEMISI5
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

How long does it take to run the trail?

FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

being that it is 32 miles long you are probably looking at a minimum of 3 hours, probably closer to 4 or 5. I looked at the .gpx file for this and it looks like it is mainly Table Mesa Rd. going east to which I can't remember the trail number for. It ends up at the Seven Springs area east of Cave Creek.
sandstorm
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

do we actually need the permit to take this trail?

3.0L V6 Auto 4Runner 4WD

Check out my photography and PM me on what you think:

www.500px.com/tbphoto91
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
FatRat
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Seven Springs (north of Carefree) - 2.0 Reply with quote

sandstorm wrote:
do we actually need the permit to take this trail?

Yes, sections of this trail are on state trust land. It is a permit you should have in your truck anyway. $20 grants you for a year, just get one.

I am sure we will here from those that think they should be allowed to do whatever they want and don't need any type of permits some time soon because of this question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Arizona Trail Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: