Wednesday, August 21, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: TeeJay
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2103

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 65
Total: 66
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: SKAAR > Home

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › DIY Front end rebuild 07 FJ
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
DIY Front end rebuild 07 FJ
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: DIY Front end rebuild 07 FJ Reply with quote

I just finished my front end rebuild on my FJ. I've been meaning to do this for the past 3 years and finally got around to doing it. I've had my FJ for 13 years and 230K miles. I did CV axles, lower control arms, front and rear brakes, wheel bearing/hubs, TC alignment tab gussets, new alignment cams passenger side, various seals and finally, alignment at Firestone 35th Ave/ Bell. Guy did a great job on it. I have the lifetime alignment which I highly recommend.

I spent about 16 hours on it from start to finish and took my time. If anyone is thinking of doing this job, it's not too bad if you have the right tools......Air impact, grinder, correct sockets 10mm all the way up to 36 MM for the axle nut. Torque wrench, air chisel if doing cam tabs.

Here's what I did and where I got it from and approximate prices:

AM Autoparts lower control arms from Ebay $140

Oreillys Import Direct CV axles $87 each

Raybestos Opti-Cal front brake calipers from AM Auto on Ebay $200 pr.

Wheel bearing/hub assy from 05Taco on Tacoma World $329 pr.

TC cam tab gussets $85 12pk for intial welding. $75 gift card for friend who welded them in place on FJ.

Front diff seals Larry Miller Toyota $34

Cam hardware one side Larry Miller $75

I'm thinking about doing limit straps and making my own lighter skid plates for my next project.

Junior
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Front end rebuild 07 FJ Reply with quote

Cool! I'd love to do all this myself when the time comes. I'm handy with tools and have rebuilt motors, bikes, brake kits, etc, but have never dived into suspension to this degree, and I'd like to know how it all goes together better than I do.

The cam tab gussets - are those just an aftermarket thing to beef up stock? I haven't read about those until just now.

Seconding the Firestone Lifetime Alignment. Gotten my money out of that too many times to count.

fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Front end rebuild 07 FJ Reply with quote

Cam tab gussets replace the stock ones that are spot welded from factory. The TC ones will not bend when those knuckle draggers do an alignment.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Front end rebuild 07 FJ Reply with quote

Very cool!
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Front end rebuild 07 FJ Reply with quote

fjlarry wrote:
Cam tab gussets replace the stock ones that are spot welded from factory. The TC ones will not bend when those knuckle draggers do an alignment.

I had Crazy John, weld a bead / gusset on my stock ones because I had that exact problem with Firestone with them saying the tabs where bent. No more though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Front end rebuild 07 FJ Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
fjlarry wrote:

I had Crazy John, weld a bead / gusset on my stock ones because I had that exact problem with Firestone with them saying the tabs where bent. No more though.

I thought about doing that but 1 was already messed up and cam bolt was way off. I figured while it was all apart it was worth doing the TC's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: