Sunday, September 15, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: AZBCE
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2108

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 92
Total: 92
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Hwy
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Hwy
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoadLessTraveled
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Hwy Reply with quote

'07 FJ 4WD with 170K miles. I'm trying to get rid of a stubborn vibration I'm getting from the front wheels at speeds between 75 and 85 Mph. So far I've done all this:

- Had the tires rotated & re-balanced twice with no change
- Installed new rotors
- Installed Bilstein 5100 front & rear strut & shock kit, which raised my front 1.5"

The new struts cut the vibration down a little but I think it's more of a side-to-side motion. The rotors certainly feel better stopping. But none of this has fixed the real problem.

There's no noise coming from the front wheel bearings (grinding, singing, or otherwise).

I'm thinking my next move is to take any slack out of the steering system by replacing knuckles and anything else that could be causing slack, and then go for an alignment. One of the tie rods does have a teeny bit of slack in it when I pull it side-to-side.

Any recommendations on what all I should be replacing?

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Hwy Reply with quote

What kind of tires do you have?

I had Goodyear wrangler mtr. They only had around 20000 miles on them. When I would get around 50, the steering wheel would start shaking. Discount balanced them 3 times, but it wouldn’t go away. They said their machine was saying the tires where balanced.

They gave me a deal on some bf Goodrich all terrains. Now, I can do 75 and the steering wheel feels like I’m not even moving.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Reply with quote

If there is slack in a tie rod, replace it.
you need to get the wheel off the ground and start trying to force it into all directions (use a lot of force). see if there's ANY slack in the wheel bearing - they don't always make noise (usually but not always). Also check for play the upper and lower ball joints, and the bushings on upper and lower control arms - although you'll usually get some "brake steer" if those are going out.

It can be a pain to diagnose but it's worth it to check everything once in a while, better than replacing tires that wear out too fast or possibly having something fail away from home.

Or it could really just be the tires, some shops are just better than others at getting an offroad tire to balance properly.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Hwy Reply with quote

You could keep the speed below 75...lol

There are a lot of things that can cause that just like Mark said. With 170k, I’d suspect all of those things need to be replaced. I’m at 116k and I think I need new lower ball joints and I know my lower control arm bushings are cracking.

A few years ago while driving el Camino del Diablo, I hit a wash “wall” and knocked my alignment out. After I had it realigned, I started having a wobble feeling on that side. I replaced the inner toe rod end and it fixed it.

I hope you figure it out!
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Hwy Reply with quote

All of the above

RoadLessTraveled
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Hwy Reply with quote

I had Network Alignment at Cave Creek & Cactus take a look at it yesterday. They said the alignment is perfect and the lower control arm bushings are torn but don't need replacement just yet. No other issues found.

The tires are BF Goodrich Ko2's from Costco. From what I'm reading, these beefy tires are hard to balance properly. The next step might be to take the truck back to Costco and demand they balance them right or replace them.

Inner & outer tie rod replacement looks fairly easy as I already had to disconnect the outers when I installed the Bilsteins.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: All the stuff I should replace & do for wheel wobble on Reply with quote

If the bushings are torn you need to replace them. That alone will cause wobble and some bump/brake steer. A torn bushing no longer keeps the control arm centered. Sometimes it may look "ok" until it gets enough force on it, then it flops around. Another one I know firsthand.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: