Monday, June 17, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: FJCruisin8677
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2091

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 90
Total: 90
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Icon Coilover Adjustment Height
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Icon Coilover Adjustment Height
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuInAZ
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Icon Coilover Adjustment Height Reply with quote

I was looking through the pre-load specs and it says to prevent binding should be just over 2" of thread max. Mine is closer to 3" but I havent had any issues yet. But, I am leaning toward changing them to bring them into spec---any thoughts on that---good idea or am I overthinking this?
Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Icon Coilover Adjustment Height Reply with quote

If you’re not having any issues I’d just let it be. If you do bring them into spec you might experience so better ride quality as there will be less preload on the springs.

CuInAZ
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Icon Coilover Adjustment Height Reply with quote

Finn wrote:
If you’re not having any issues I’d just let it be. If you do bring them into spec you might experience so better ride quality as there will be less preload on the springs.
thanks!
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Icon Coilover Adjustment Height Reply with quote

Yes! Bring them down. Coil bind on a single stage, or single rate spring is bad. It means the whole spring, every coil is in contact and the spring is fully bottomed out. Any force beyond that is transferred into the Icon mounting head. After a while, enough of those impacts, and the mounting head snaps. I've seen it.

I won't go into the whole thing about using preload adjustment to adjust ride-height because every time I do, that launches a shit-storm of stupid on the internet.

Two inches of exposed thread is Icon's spec and it's a solid number for a good reason. If you need more spring, or for some reason, more height, change to heavier springs which will gain you less sag (more height), while keeping the prelaod adjustment within Icon's spec.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
CuInAZ
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Icon Coilover Adjustment Height Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback. After dwelling on it my OCDness made me call ICON for another viewpoint. They didnt sell the mounting head issues (good info) but moreso the the coil binding but that's maybe an even better reason. Apparently they said the ride is supposed to have a slight rake. Not going to lie was thinking about the level like you were indicating, but rather have function over form. Was a little concerned about potential rubbing but after an alignment its all good. Don't really notice the change now and also if anyone reads this looking for more info there is a good youtube video on calc. droop, adjusting etc. Super easy with a floor jack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: