Friday, March 22, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: BennyD
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2076

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 72
Total: 72
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

With PLENTY of time (5months)to plan for this: Come for the wheelin', Come for the Scenery, Come for the campin'. But most importantly

COME FOR DUNER

THIS RUN IS open 27 spots left

For Parking on Montezuma Pass.

This year's run is again special. Mike Schuette, "Duner" on the forum left us in 2017 for higher trails. I'm not sure if this was his favorite run or not but he sure loved to come down to the cool green hills of the borderlands and run with a bunch of FJ's. Duner once winched Jimbolio (me) out of the mud just 200 yards from the border.

Last time we had a Metric BUTT TON of FJ's, can we top the big turn out in 2018 this year?
GPX FILE is HERE: www.dropbox.com/sh/dzf...WT9Wa?dl=0

With all the hubbub about building a WALL the border, aren't you a little bit Curious about what the border REALLY looks like! COME ON DOWN.

WHAT: The MONSOON Duner Memorial Border RUN
RATING: mostly 1-1.5, Expedition style run, but some mountain roads got to 2.0-2.5 in spots. Fully certified for STOCK FJ. (Wash crossings could be a 3.0+ depending on Weather) There will be NEW trails this year.
We'll be running on some of the GHOST TOWN LOOP
During Monsoons, this run was 100% FUN FUN FUN.

NOTE: THIS IS A NEW MEETING SPOT BECAUSE HOUGHTON SPOT IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!.
We start out at Campsite 5 on the Gardner Canyon Rd (31°43'15.7"N 110°43'04.4"W) MAP - 4x4 through some backcountry where we'll pop out on AZ82 North of Patagonia. Continue down AZ82 through Patagonia then we head onto the
> Harshaw Road with a brief stop at the Harshaw Cemetery and turn off at
>Guajalote flats, which soon turns into mountain hugging shelf roads. 2010 we couldn't see anything from there so it was a CLOUD walk.
Once back on the Harshaw road - we do some
>Ghost towning - Mowry, Washington Camp, Dusquene, and Finally Lochiel, where we can
>run the border road for a bit.
In 2010, this run involved several raging wash crossings!
L
Once done there, we head through
> Coronado National Monument, up to Montezuma Pass
Down the other side to
>Alternatively, if you need to bail early you can head back to Patagonia on the Ghost Town Loop
>Sierra Vista for some Dinner. AND DAMMIT, NO MUD PUDDLE IS STOPPING US THIS YEAR!!!

WHEN: AUGUST 3, 2019 09:00 HRS This is pretty much an ALL DAY run. 8-10 hours. (<PHOENIX Friendly) (NOW!: 1 hour earlier to get dinner at a descent hour)

WHERE:UPDATED Rally point is at at Campsite 5 on the Gardner Canyon Rd (31°43'15.7"N 110°43'04.4"W) MAP

CAMPING for those so inclined, We'll be camping at Gardner canyon site 5 like last time. I'll be heading out Friday morning to secure our spot so if you want to come on Friday night and camp out, please do.
31.721344, -110.717948

COMMS:HAM: AZ4x4 channel 146.46 (Simplex)
Possible Repeaters:
Mt. Lemmon 70cm 448.350- 107.2
Nogales 2M 147.180+ (no pl)
CB - Channel 16

CHOW: Bring your LUNCH - bring some $$ for dinner somewhere in Sierra Vista.

WHO's IN for this Delicious 180 Mile loop?
Please indicate if you are planning to camp after. (We can do Gardner Canyon as before)

IN
Maybe

^Jimbolio & Spock K9JBO
    ^zzmikey
    mod_muscle
    tibaal89
    microbe
    GillT
    ^Shooter
    AZCruiser
    glideraz
    ^AZFJ4AK

^Grinder
    ^CRAZYJOHN
    airconditionednightmare
    BennyD
    roni13130
    AZCruiser
    Jeep-Bruce
    Jeep-Brandon
    AZFJTOY (+2-No Engrish)
    Sub4FJ

^Bucketboy
    TOY4WD
    Maltajo

FULL

CAP REACHED

WAITING LIST:

Your NAME COULD BE HERE!

PREVIOUS RUN:
azfj.org/index.php?nam...mp;t=12794

• HUGE Wash Crossing YOUTUBE Link (Won't embed)[/url]

• _________________
    K9JBO
    Quote:
    "Safest place is IN the Jeep......<pause>....Maybe not "www.youtube.com/embed/rQT9E06ql8Q

Last edited by Jimbolio on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:21 pm; edited 15 times in total
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
    zzmikey
    Obstacle Crusher
    Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

I'll be your huckleberry

mod_muscle
    Expeditioneer
    Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

In! “That’s just my game.”
    tibaal89
    Trail to Destruction
    Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

This run is 90's Suburban approved! Put it on my calendar, no idea what's going this far out tho...

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
    microbe
    Obstacle Crusher
    Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

In with a 4Runner
    GillT
    Dusty Truck
    Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug- Reply with quote

Put me in for 2 FJs. It will be me and either my wife and her FJ or my brother-in-law with his.

A highly dangerous virus called "Weekly Overload Recreational Killer" (WORK) is currently going around. If you come in contact with this WORK virus, you should immediately go to the nearest BAR for "Biological Anxiety Relief".
    Shooter
    Dusty Truck
    Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

Put Nancy and I in for the run and camping.
    Jimbolio
    Master Wheeler
    Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

I know it's early, and those of you that have done this before, this will be a different route at the beginning for sure. I'm going to try to scout out another more challenging way (Like being winched out of the mud was not challenging) to the border from the Lochiel / Duquesne road, but no guarantees I'll have that done before our run. BUT the beginning part will be different. A lot of folks said they liked the wheeling we did through the Santa Ritas and this will even be different than that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
    AZCruiser
    AZ Pinstriped
    AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

In! May have two or three others join (same group as last year). I will let you know about the others. Looking forward to it, had a blast last year.
    glideraz
    Baja Champ
    Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

In

AZFJ4AK
    AZ Pinstriped
    AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

Hell, yes!! IN. Thanks for the long lead time!
    Grinder
    Expeditioneer
    Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

Please put me down as tentative for run and camping in my Tundra.

CRAZYJOHN
    Trail Runner
    Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

in camping

airconditionednightmare
    Dusty Truck
    Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

In! With camping after & prob before.
    BennyD
    Mall Queen
    Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The 2019 "Memorial Duner" Great Run to the Border 3-Aug-2019 Reply with quote

I'm in for August 3rd
    Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: