Friday, March 22, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: BennyD
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2076

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 63
Total: 63
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Growing buzz like MT's, but louder - Wheel bearings? CVs?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Growing buzz like MT's, but louder - Wheel bearings? CVs?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junior
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Growing buzz like MT's, but louder - Wheel bearings? CVs? Reply with quote

Hi folks -

I have a growing buzz, which sounds like the noise MT tires make, but it's louder than those have made in the past. I have about 8000 miles on these Toyos and it's definitely a lot louder in the last few weeks than before, or with any set of tires I've ever run.

I don't notice any odd movement or change in stability or driveability, but the noise is definitely pronounced from 20-40mph especially. Could be that road noise increases enough after that to mask it a bit. It doesn't seem to change with sideload (like turning at speed), it's just constant with wheel rotation.

The noise is tied to wheel speed, not engine speed.

There is no whine, nor any metallic sound, nor anything high-pitched related to this; it's just that low buzz.

I haven't noticed any grease leaks or anything apart from one leaky Icon in the rear that I need to address. I haven't taken a close look underneath yet, though. I haven't raised the wheels to give them a push/pull.

Before I do, any ideas what to look for, or does anyone recognize those symptoms?

Nearly 100k on the truck, I'm pretty sure I replaced both front wheel bearings once before, but I'd have to look through my papers. Never done CVs.

Thanks all!

Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Growing buzz like MT's, but louder - Wheel bearings? CVs? Reply with quote

I’ve got a similar bus going on in my Tundra. I’m thinking the alignment is out of wack. What Toyos are you running?

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Growing buzz like MT's, but louder - Wheel bearings? CVs? Reply with quote

My Tacoma makes a noise under same conditions you describe. Mine is worst at 48mph. I always thought it was tires but it doesn’t matter if you are on smooth roads. Rough bumpy roads. Wet or dry roads. Turning or going straight. It’s enough to make my head hurt it’s so loud.
I had my carrier bearing checked and they said it looked perfect. If it’s wheel bearings, it seems the noise would change based on wheel load changes?
The only other thing I can think of is the rear end. I hope not.
If you do discover what it is, please post it?
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Growing buzz like MT's, but louder - Wheel bearings? CVs? Reply with quote

Air up the Toyo’s to max (the ride will be shit) and see if that changes the dynamic at all...or borrow a rim/tire combo with a less aggressive tread from someone...

IIRC, you’re running the Toyo MT’s which are loud AF after they wear in.
Junior
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Growing buzz like MT's, but louder - Wheel bearings? CVs? Reply with quote

Finn wrote:
I’ve got a similar bus going on in my Tundra. I’m thinking the alignment is out of wack. What Toyos are you running?
Hey Ryan! I've got the M/T Pizzacutters - 255/85r16. They were initially slightly noisier than the Hankooks I had before (or maybe just a different tone), but not like this. I had an alignment done two or three months ago and haven't done anything but city miles since.

mod_muscle wrote:
I had my carrier bearing checked and they said it looked perfect. If it’s wheel bearings, it seems the noise would change based on wheel load changes?
See yeah, I would think so too.

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is the rear end. I hope not.
If you do discover what it is, please post it?
I sure will, yeah.

CeeFish wrote:
Air up the Toyo’s to max (the ride will be shit) and see if that changes the dynamic at all...
Safe to go clear up to 80 you reckon? They were down to 29 or so when I started looking at this the other day - they're at 34 now where I usually run them.

Quote:
IIRC, you’re running the Toyo MT’s which are loud AF after they wear in.
That's correct - is that right about them? If so, it could just be that. That's exactly what it sounds like, just so much louder than they had been before. I think I have about 8000 on them right now. Rotate them every 5k.

CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Growing buzz like MT's, but louder - Wheel bearings? CVs? Reply with quote

I’d air up to 55 and see what it sounds like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: