Saturday, August 24, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: rains_lee
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 2104

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 49
Total: 49
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available?
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

What's still available for aftermarket rear bumpers?

After all these years, got rear-ended so I have to replace my original rear bumper. I'm looking at what options are out there and the pros/cons VS. stock.
I'm not really opposed to keeping it stock with the spare tire / fuel carrier solution currently in place but since someone rear ended me pretty well, it's time to consider options. I would like to try to keep it light, main reason I've kept it stock so long but it's a good time to look again.
I do use the towing hitch every now an then so need to make sure that's included / uses stock.

So far, the one that has my eye is the Expedition One with the swingout. It's not really light, but it keeps the factory receiver, takes the load off the back door, gives me some more options for keeping stuff on the swingout, and I like the way the swingout moves with the door.

Demello wants way too much for their swingout bumper for my needs.

Not sure what other options I should be looking at? Not really into a tube bumper though, sure it's light but I just don't love them (no real reason).

The person who hit me was driving a rental, so dealing with insurance companies is really less fun than usual, and somehow MUCH slower too. The car hit hard enough for their air bag to pop, and my towing receiver tube had a chunk of their radiator stuck inside. At least nobody was seriously injured.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

Really love my expedition one bumper.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

Glad you are ok!
Like Jim, I really like my expedition one swing out. I have nothing to compare it to so it’s a biased opionion.
That said, I did have to do some mods to make it not squeak and drive me mad. For what ever reason, the way it mounts and clamps onto the frame, it would not clamp enough to keep it from moving. I shimmed and added an adjustment bolt and it has been good since. Mine is several years old now so their design may have changed.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.
I do like the look of that bumper and swing out better than the Metal-Tech as well. If I do go that route, I'll probably have someone add a weld to the frame to keep it from moving during my more exuberant drives.

Heading to my repair shop today to get the estimate, then I'll call expedition one and see if that 10 week lead time is still accurate.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Grinder
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

I loved the Exp One bumper I had, but I did notice that with my 2014, the bumper didn't fit perfectly with the stock hitch.

They rubbed/interfered and I had plans to grind away just a little bit of the bumper to allow a better fit. Never got to it before selling Raphael though.

Junior
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

I love my Exp One rear (non-swingout) as well. I didn't have to do any custom fitting on my 2010. It's just solid and functional and matches the truck perfectly IMO.

Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

I had a Expedition One swingout on my FJ and loved it!

azeyecap
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

I have an Expo One Swing out as well and i like it. It sure looks badass, provides a surface that is tougher than stock and offers further customization options.

It was a bitch of an installation though, with several fittings and refitting needed after hand enlarging the backup sensor holes and the main mounting holes. Not that big of a deal but it was frustrating at the time.
CeeFish
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

Another ExpOne fan here as well. I’ve installed a few and had one on my brick truck. Solid bumper system, although I had (sporadic) issues with my backup sensors after install.

We opted to not add the weight to the cement truck so the old bumper was left on when we sold the (brick) truck.

The only other knock: I’ve seen a few of the swing out bearings fail over time. Mine was starting to fail and it made the door much harder to open and close than when new...

The ability to add items (propane tank in my case) to the swingout arm is worth the price of admission IMO.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

This is why AZFJ is still the goto place for great information. Very Happy

The weight is still a concern, but having the ability to attach items as needed is tipping the scales for me (pun intended). Since we love doing long trips with the RTT, rear door is the next best storage option. Everything is some sort of compromise I guess. I was wondering about the bearing on the swingout and how well they hold up. Hoping it can be serviced without pulling the whole bumper off (or that I never actually have to deal with it).

I see Expedition One has a 15% Anniversary sale listed on their web site, I'm hoping that's an actual decent deal. I just emailed them about the rotopax mount shown on one of their photos, it's not listed as an option anywhere, but this is pretty much what I'm looking to do:

I should have some real numbers back from the shop and insurance company in the next day or two, so I'll hopefully be ready to get the process rolling quickly.

Does anyone know a specific contact over there to work with, or is it like calling over to Sierra Expeditions where you're going to get the "right person" every time? Smile

Thanks everyone for your input.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

Don’t know and name to give you.
But ceefish did remind me that I had to rebuild nine once. But I think it was my own fault. I didn’t have the seal installed correctly and it got wet and turned my grease to mud. I blame myself for that one. I have not had an issue since. And yes, it’s easy to do. Bumper does not come off.

Post pics when you get it!
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty standard size bearing that you could probably get at Napa auto parts if push came to shove. (It's actually an upper and lower bearing, which I think are the same).

I had to buy a special 37mm socket to tighten the nut. It's a trade off though, tight nut = hard to open (But stays open nicely) rear door. Easy door = rattle. That's why I bought a socket so I could adjust based on my mood.

Not sure I would recommend welding it on though. will always be something neat to stick in your bumper.

I put LED back up lights in the holes (On Amazon 4", tapped in with a hammer tight fit. )

The recovery points are very beefy. As for the Rotopax mount, I had to have Crazy John fabricate me a foot for mine because the skinny roto pax bolt couldn't handle the weight of 4 gals of gas. Sad Now the two cans sit in a nice cradle and don't get lost on the trail.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

I just got an email saying that expedition one has 15% off for their 15th anniversary. Hopefully you can save some money!
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

mod_muscle wrote:
I just got an email saying that expedition one has 15% off for their 15th anniversary. Hopefully you can save some money!

Thanks!
I noticed that on their site just a few minutes ago. I'm going to give them.a call tomorrow and see where the price lands with exactly what I want.

I'm still not thrilled about adding all that weight, but also seems silly to go through all the expense to put a new stock bumper on. I'm sure that I'll be happy (maybe after adding new springs too).

Finn
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Bumper options in 2019 - what's still available? Reply with quote

If you do order from Expedition One I would highly suggest having it powder coated locally. Mine chipped while installing it last month. They offer a one year powder coat warranty for $100. Which is ridiculous to have to pay for in my opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: