Tuesday, April 23, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: wanderingH
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2085

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 85
Total: 85
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › Sheep bridge!!
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Sheep bridge!!
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OverlandBandits
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

Question? Has anybody ever crossed the verde river at sheep bridge and taken the trail on the east side of the verde river I believe it’s [FR479] turning into the N horseshoe lake rd coming out by the horseshoe reservoir I believe you can cross by the Dam ? Looks like a good desert camping trip. Start on table Mesa trail then camp at sheep bridge next day cross the verde river and do the [FR479] or maybe I’m wrong for trying to cross the river .lol
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

I have never crossed at Sheep Bridge, but I have crossed below Horseshoe and taken that trail up to the bridge - MUCH shorter trip than the "regular" route. There are a few good spots where you could probably camp along that road and it seems to get MUCH less traffic than the west side. I'm not certain of the regulations (if any) for dispersed camp on that side though, so look that up first.

Most of the times I've gone, the area south of horseshoe was really shallow (if it was flowing at all), but up by the bridge it always seems much deeper, and I'm too chicken to cross that alone. There were a few times though that the water was really moving and there wasn't a chance I was going to try on either end.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
OverlandBandits
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I was trying to do something different since I’ve done bloody basin and seven spring several of time . Lol
donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

Ive crossed it. but we took the road up to bloody basin exit on the I17 I believe.

Scrapper
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

I did the full loop crossing the Verde at Sheep’s Bridge and again below Horseshoe. Success totally depends on river depth. Below the dam has been running pretty deep recently making that crossing questionable. I may run up that way soon and will post conditions.
OverlandBandits
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

I thought you can cross on the damm seem to be a road but that might be vip only..lol
I think of going out there feb 10 if you go before let me know thanks
blue10
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

The crossing on the dam is a narrow walkway under the lip of the spillway. Feet, bicycle, or small-ish motorcycle is all than can get through there.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools.”

KF7WSA
Scrapper
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

Horseshoe Dam walkway

www.instagram.com/bren...nysq22rv52
OverlandBandits
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the input 👍🏼
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

I was out at horseshoe dam area today, wasn't about to even try the crossing this time. The road to the dam itself is closed off before you can get to the dam (right after the where you turn to cross the river) because it washed out recently. The river crossing usually has 2 sections, the first is usually almost a damp boulder section, the second is "oh, some water". Today the first part was 35 yards or so of water a couple feet deep, visibly flowing. Since I was solo I didn't even bother trying, never know how the rocks look underneath, and experience tells me that the second part would be just stupid to try since it's deeper and much narrower, (much more speed to that section) Yeah "people do it", but we also see people on the news a lot. Wink

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Scrapper
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

I went out there today as well. The crossing point is under deeeep water. I turned around at the first section as mentioned above. The road was blocked to the dam but 4x4’s were coming and going. The sign said impassable which was laughable. There were probably 6-8 vehicles at the dam.
Scrapper
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

Horseshoe Dam Feb 10th.

www.instagram.com/bren...acer3o5nvr
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

There's no crossing the downstream of the dam right now! The reservoir is at 93% and they are frantically dumping water down to Bartlett. Bartlett's at 85%!

If you can get out to see this, you should, it's ASTOUNDING how much water you can walk under.

Horseshoe Dam March 3rd.
www.instagram.com/p/Buke8RYhjyv/

What a difference a month makes.

I just read the Southern Region Arizona Wildland forecast and it said that the drought in southern Arizona is over. They got over 10' of snow in the white mountains, and soil moisture down to 6' deep has increased greatly in the entire Mogollon rim, north, Flag, Grand Canyon, etc, with the exception of the Navajo Reservation (NE AZ).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Scrapper
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

Wow that is a huge increase from my visit a couple weeks ago. Going go see it this week. Catfish Point must be totally surmerged.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sheep bridge!! Reply with quote

I didn't get onto the East side at all. BUT, the part of the catfish point with the bathroom was not submerged. I'm writing that up for Trails Offroad.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: