Wednesday, July 17, 2019

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Dominican12
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2097

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 74
Total: 74
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › An addition, and a loss to the family....
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
An addition, and a loss to the family....
This forum is for general topics concerning the AZFJ community that do not fit in the other sections. This is not your offtopic rant forum. Please be respectful and keep it clean.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexGeneral Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

Hey all!
On Thursday I was there victim of an accident, totaling my FJ. Crying or Very sad

In other news, after 3 years of trying my wife and I are going to be parents! Very Happy

Now, the reason for this post, being that I was not at fault and they are totaling my FJ I am considering getting another, or getting a 4runner. I would much rather stay with an FJ.

So, who has had a baby with the FJ, do rear facing infant car seats fit? If so, how far forward do seats have to be? I'm 6'2" and tend to sit (slide wise) further back. Not leaning.

Photos much appreciated. Wife is interested Graco or Chicco travel systems.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Dominic.08FJ
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

Such a bummer about the fj but congrats on the addition!! I have 2 boys... ages 4 and 5. They are obviously much larger but fit just fine with their car seats. Only bummer is the small rear window that doesnt roll down. That's the only thing they dont like about it. Other than that we love it. Its perfect for Family Journeys!
IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

Dominic.08FJ wrote:
Such a bummer about the fj but congrats on the addition!! I have 2 boys... ages 4 and 5. They are obviously much larger but fit just fine with their car seats. Only bummer is the small rear window that doesnt roll down. That's the only thing they dont like about it. Other than that we love it. Its perfect for Family Journeys!

Are the rear facing? Or have they been in the fj? That's my biggest concern. Seat positioning for the front seats with a rear facing car seat.

TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

Getting a kid out or in the back of an FJ with the suicide door sucks when asshats park too close to your truck. I always had the sliders that stuck out quite a ways so i never worried about door dings. But loading a kid when you can't fully open doors blows goats.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

1st glad you walked away from the accident
2nd congrats on adding another human to the nearly 8 billion world population
3rd for car seat in the rear of the FJ as TOY4WD has indicated it is NOT convenient or easy and unless your wife is a super trooper who puts up with a lot sh*t -- it will cause frustration (especially if you add any sort of larger tire or lift).

I would say go 4runner. But did you know the Highlander is the same wheel base as the 4runner and has much more modern electronics and features, though not as nearly offroad worthy.

perhaps a Toyota 4WD van?

www.drivingline.com/ar...the-rocks/

www.vanlifenorthwest.c...e-4wd-van/
IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

TOY4WD wrote:
Getting a kid out or in the back of an FJ with the suicide door sucks when asshats park too close to your truck. I always had the sliders that stuck out quite a ways so i never worried about door dings. But loading a kid when you can't fully open doors blows goats.

Thank you for the info!

IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
1st glad you walked away from the accident
2nd congrats on adding another human to the nearly 8 billion world population
3rd for car seat in the rear of the FJ as TOY4WD has indicated it is NOT convenient or easy and unless your wife is a super trooper who puts up with a lot sh*t -- it will cause frustration (especially if you add any sort of larger tire or lift).

I would say go 4runner. But did you know the Highlander is the same wheel base as the 4runner and has much more modern electronics and features, though not as nearly offroad worthy.

perhaps a Toyota 4WD van?

www.drivingline.com/ar...the-rocks/

www.vanlifenorthwest.c...e-4wd-van/

Thank you!

The FJ is mine, she has her own mid size SUV. So only I will have to deal with the car seat. I know it won't be convenient. I'm really just curious about the front seat positioning with a rear facing car seat in the back.

Thanks!

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

First of all, congratulations on the pregnancy. I'm also glad you are un-injured in your accident.

Or you could go and buy a GX470, just as buildable as an FJ, 4 doors, and a V8.

There are STILL some 08 and 09's that can be had with less than 100K.

I have put BOTH my granddaughters in there with rear-facing seats with no trouble.

PLUS, you get a third-row seat, in-dash nav, a sunroof & Rides like a cream puff.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

Glad you're ok. and congrats
Rear facing seats in the fj suck...........
If your over the height of 5 2' forward facing seats behind you suck......
4runner much better.. Gx super nice. tundra also nice
All three better options than the fj for kiddos.. Anyone that disagrees can EAD.

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

Dang! I’ve never, nor do I intend, to blow a goat. But I’m 6’4” and have hauled my son in my FJ since he was 1 yo. I honestly never thought anything about it. I just did it.
I think you should get what YOU want. If you prefer one Over the other, then get the one you prefer. You will be the most happy that way.

Yes, the portholes kind of suck for the kids. But if your kids are like mine, they never look out the windows anyway! Sad

Glad you are ok.
8LFGRND
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

I think mod_muscle is right, get what you want. My wife hates the FJ, " seats suck, it's too high, I can't see". Bla, bla. I love it and the kid thing was just something I dealt with. It's really a 3 year inconvenience as my daughter started liking the climb up and in and belted herself a little after she turned 3.

My biggest request regarding the rear window is now my daughter asks me to remove the front passenger headrest so she can see forward out the windshield.

It is not illegal to put a rear facing car seat in your front passenger seat either, with the air bag off obviously.

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

IGGBrewer wrote:
The FJ is mine, she has her own mid size SUV. So only I will have to deal with the car seat. ....

until hers needs a car wash, or a new set of tires or any of other 100s of reasons a two car family has 1 car and the other person has to drive the other vehicle.. that day will test the fortitude of peace and tranquility if you have an infant in the back seat in a cart seat. Smile

I like the idea of GX470. But hey like others have said it is your money, but since you asked for an opinion you got them.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

Most of the normal FJ parts fit under the GX470. My total chaos upper arms are a direct swap. I was scratching my head in 2016 when I saw that all the FJsummit organizers were running around Ouray in GX470's. Now I so get it. I'm unlikely to be modding my GX, it's my daily driver. My precious has it's job, and it does it quite well. Commuting is not that job.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice!

It looks like I not going to be sticking with an FJ as much as I love it.
Aside from the hassle, I'm having some trouble finding one comparable to what I had (in my opinion).
Unfortunately I am not in a position to have one separately from my commuter. I do like the idea of the Lexus GX470 and I may look into that more. I will update when I figure out what I am doing.

New father's famous last words I WILL NOT DRIVE A MINIVAN!

Thank you again!

IGGBrewer
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: An addition, and a loss to the family.... Reply with quote

So I swayed. Got a Tundra Crew Max 1794. Plenty of room for the new addition.

I've accepted at least for the time being that my focus is my family. Plan to get about FJ some day. A Wheeling only rig. Not a daily.

Thank you for your input! I'll still see y'all at some meet ups.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: