Wednesday, November 14, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: gadzoom
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2061

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 175
Total: 175
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - Octobe Reply with quote

Less than a week out!

1. If you are planning on camping or bringing a Pot Luck, please post up so we have an idea on count, number of people, etc...
2. If you are a "maybe", declare your intentions!
3. Please bring a bundle of wood to the campfire on Saturday night
4. Dont forget to decorate your truck, yourself, or both!

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

1. If you are planning on camping or bringing a Pot Luck, please post up so we have an idea on count, number of people, etc...
..... 1 human, 2 canines, camping YES, Dutch oven sometin' Yes.
2. If you are a "maybe", declare your intentions!
.....I declare I intend to be the most fabulous Grandparent I can be.
3. Please bring a bundle of wood to the campfire on Saturday night
..... Heh Heh....He said WOOD beavis..
4. Dont forget to decorate your truck, yourself, or both!
.....We shall see....We shall See....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

Secret recipe campfire chicken tenders are under a 24hour+ marinate currently....

and I have your oil filters packed already Jimbo so I dont forget them

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

I'll make some biscuits to go with em.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

Jimbolio wrote:
I'll make some biscuits to go with em.

odd that you would bring biscuits to go with oil filters.. this sounds like a crazy event for sure!
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I have my politically inappropriate Halloween costume packed as well.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

Whoops..

CementGray
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

--

...And there was much rejoicing *yea*

Last edited by CementGray on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

This happened on the shelf road on the way down from Granny's pass. A pretty fair drop off there, thank goodness it was dark and I couldn't see it. I'm pretty damned lucky it didn't pull the FJ over the side and tumble down the hill. (The Pintle Eye is tweaked about 20°) but remained attached.

Yes, thank god Jake was there. He turned his new Four runner around and came back to save me. After some discussion about a winch evolution up to a tree to the left, We all agreed this was the best approach:

Four big dudes in a razor were coming down the hill and they had to do something to get the road cleared so they helped.

Before I set out on this adventure Saturday afternoon, I thought: "Self...Do you think you will need your HiLift jack?...Where the hell is that second wing nut?". You see, part of the refurb job was taking that off the rack. I found the nut, put it up there as a 4x4 fashion accessory, but who thought it would be critical to the operation.

We pulled it down off the FJ, stuck it under (Actually Jake did all the dangerous work) one of the lifting posts on the front right corner. The base teetered precariously on the edge of the washout that had caused the wheel to drop and the trailer to tip. It's amazing this worked. Total downtime I think was 30 minutes or so. Thank you, Jake and 4 razor dudes!

Several pumps on the jack and the pivot angle had been reached so that all 6 of us could heave the 2,200# trailer back onto its wheels. Off we went.

I camped in the trailer that night and assessed the damage the next morning.

But the Good News:

TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

You're welcome Jimbo! The last few runs i have earned my keep. I had to man handle finns tundra bumper that had gotten smashed in and was in contact with the tire.
Then later that same trip zmikeys truck lost all power due to a broken battery cable that tripped his circuit breaker. After gmg joe and mikey fixed the terminal and reset the breaker the truck still wouldn't start and they were scratching their heads. I had to walk up from the back of the pack and tell mikey to "put it in park". Guess what?, it fired right up!

Then later that trip finn decided he hadn't done enough damage to his tundra. He proceeded to skillfully install a nice 3 inch v shaped hole in his sidewall. He did not have the stock lugs for his spare and the aftermarket wheels use different lugs. And of course the one guy with the only 5lug truck amongst a slew of 6 lug truck decides to get the flat. No borrowing a wheel or lug nuts from a fj. Not compatible. I then proceeded to install 18 tire plugs into the gaping sidewall hole and applied several layers of gorilla tape to try to help the plugs from bulging out. Amazingly he made it from asbestos mine all the way to tempe on that sketchy ass repair.

Then comes Jim's trailer debacle. I do not know how that jack did not kick out or lose it's footing and slide down that cliff. Less than half of the base of the jack was on the ground. The rest of the base was out over the washout/cliff. We were very lucky on this incident. It could have gotten ugly really quick (i don't know how it didn't). Glad it all worked out.
TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

You need to put some training wheels back on that tippy trailer. Laughing
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

TOY4WD wrote:
You're welcome Jimbo! The last few runs i have earned my keep. I had to man handle finns tundra bumper that had gotten smashed in and was in contact with the tire.
Then later that same trip zmikeys truck lost all power due to a broken battery cable that tripped his circuit breaker. After gmg joe and mikey fixed the terminal and reset the breaker the truck still wouldn't start and they were scratching their heads. I had to walk up from the back of the pack and tell mikey to "put it in park". Guess what?, it fired right up!

Then later that trip finn decided he hadn't done enough damage to his tundra. He proceeded to skillfully install a nice 3 inch v shaped hole in his sidewall. He did not have the stock lugs for his spare and the aftermarket wheels use different lugs. And of course the one guy with the only 5lug truck amongst a slew of 6 lug truck decides to get the flat. No borrowing a wheel or lug nuts from a fj. Not compatible. I then proceeded to install 18 tire plugs into the gaping sidewall hole and applied several layers of gorilla tape to try to help the plugs from bulging out. Amazingly he made it from asbestos mine all the way to tempe on that sketchy ass repair.

Then comes Jim's trailer debacle. I do not know how that jack did not kick out or lose it's footing and slide down that cliff. Less than half of the base of the jack was on the ground. The rest of the base was out over the washout/cliff. We were very lucky on this incident. It could have gotten ugly really quick (i don't know how it didn't). Glad it all worked out.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 4th Annual Box Canyon, Halloween, and Grill Run - October 27 Reply with quote

Training wheels. Tee hee
I think we have a new AZFJ term for all this Jake
"Shit magnet"

See you Friday night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: