Thursday, October 18, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: bmbFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2057

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 28
Total: 28
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Front end overhaul-
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Front end overhaul-
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

Well, I finally got the wife to park the fj long enough for me to jack it up and crawl under with a light.

I see the CV shaft on the drivers side looks to be a lower quality boot material, than the passenger side. The rubber is not nearly as thick. It also has a lot of play and clanking sound when I rotate it back and forth by hand. Passenger side is solid.

I also noticed play on the drivers side wheel when I work it at 12 and 6 o clock, so I'm thinking bad wheel bearing...

All the bushings on the upper and lower A arms all need to be replaced. The upper ball joint boots are torn on both sides.

It's got new tires, so I'd like to get the lower a arms rebuilt, and maybe score some "less expensive" upper A arms that will clear the OME shocks that are on the front. The lift obviously has everything at sharp angles, with the upper arm rubbing the coil on the shocks. The tie rods look to be ok...

Anyone have any experience, or heard anything about adjustable ball joints?

Specialty Products Company 25480 Upper Control Arm kit looks like a good deal.

Next on my research list is the Camburg PERFORMANCE BALLJOINT UPPER CONTROL ARM SET.

This is my first time working on a 4X4 so any advice is appreciated-
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to do the same thing. My lower control arm bushings are shot. I'm wanting to to those and new hub/wheel bearing assemblies and then alignment bolts and then new tires and an alignment. Let us know how it goes. Brian on here is knowlegable on this stuff.

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

fjlarry wrote:
I'm getting ready to do the same thing. My lower control arm bushings are shot. I'm wanting to to those and new hub/wheel bearing assemblies and then alignment bolts and then new tires and an alignment. Let us know how it goes. Brian on here is knowlegable on this stuff.

I called Brian, and asked about the noisy CV shaft. He's the one who told me I'd most likely also have bushing, and possibly ball joint/tie rod issues with the front end, and he was right-
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

I totally replaced mine with Energy suspension bushings. Wasn't too expensive. Brian had a spare set of lower A-Arms that he was just swapping stuff out in so you could keep your FJ. Not sure he still does though.

$90 bucks at 4-wheel parts.
www.4wheelparts.com/Su...S3EALw_wcB

All kinds of other parts:
www.energysuspensionpa...r_4wd_2008

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

thanks for all that info-
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

vaportrail wrote:

Specialty Products Company 25480 Upper Control Arm kit looks like a good deal.

Ive been running these for 7+ years easy.. they are not adjustable.. but what attracted me to them is they use the factory ball joint, so if something goes terrible wrong out there in the crazy world parts are easy to come by. I should note I have replaced the bushings and ball joint once about 2 years ago and they have held up well from an abuse factor.
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

Hopefully be up and going soon

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

Tee hee heeeee,

Wifey watched this 3 min. video- www.youtube.com/watch?v=VER5z1YeQw4

Now she thinks it's an easy job... UGH
FJFEVER
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

I'm a proponent of the camburg uppers. Been running them since 09

195,162 FINAL MILES. DOA AFTER ROLLOVER.
NEXT CHAPTER...261,000 miles
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

glideraz wrote:
Hopefully be up and going soon

Hey Brian,

I was ready to pull the trigger on the poly bushings that Jim linked to...

Then I looked at the install instructions.

Not a job for me, but was wondering if it's something that your good at doing.
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

The only thing that would keep me from installing poly bushings in the lower control arms is the high possibility of squeaking. There's really no way to grease them once installed.

glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

Yes I can do those.....

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

fjlarry wrote:
The only thing that would keep me from installing poly bushings in the lower control arms is the high possibility of squeaking. There's really no way to grease them once installed.

Now, that's some valuable information...

I've decided to try MOOG lowers, then maybe have the old ones rebuilt.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

fjlarry wrote:

Wrong.

www.amazon.com/Moog-K1...B00HCQ5NYS

I've had my energy suspension for two years now, not a single squeek. (Not a single lube either). Lots of mud and guck.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front end overhaul- Reply with quote

My uppers that I can grease squeak. The lowers will squeak.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: