Saturday, November 17, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: gadzoom
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2061

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 161
Total: 161
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

I need to replace my front “axles” and I typically like to stick with Toyota parts when it comes to things like this but I know a lot of people don’t agree. So, in the interest of time and money, is there a particular brand that is considered the best aftermarket? Or are they all made in the same factory with the same specs?
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

I've had good luck with the O'Reilly's import direct axles with lifetime warranty. If I tear a boot I just swap the axle. Quick and easy. I've tried other axles but they would bind at full droop. These do not.

TLCA# 18990
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

2nd Orielly's
Replaced both of mine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

3rd Orielly's

they have two brands

I used "Import Direct" because last time they had 2 in stock and I needed 2
azfj.org/index.php?nam...979#220979

www.oreillyauto.com/de...iser?pos=1

MasterPro is the housebrand is ~10 per each cheaper and also has the lifetime warranty.

www.oreillyauto.com/de...iser?pos=0
jkfj08
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

i am getting ready to order from this company.

CVJ axles in Denver. they only use Toyota cores and have some boot options for lifted trucks. i have a torn boot on the passenger side and 159,000 miles just going to replace both sides.

www.cvjreman.com/
'
SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

So what I've gathered so far is that I should not have had the dealer replace my CVs? =\

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

^^ nope but thanks for supporting your local Toyota dealer.
BucketBoy
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

When my FJ was at Firestone for an oil change one day they called to tell me my CV boot was leaking (I knew it was already) and they said they could get the axle same day and get it installed for 320$ if I wanted. I laughed and said if they can replace a single one of my axles for 320$ then I want them to do so and I would also like 4 spares. I even offered to pay 320$ a piece for em. He asked why and I had to explain to him how I’m not on stock axles with the whole long travel thing and that my center shafts were more then 500$ alone. I’m a fairly unique case though but if they couldn’t tell my suspension wasn’t stock then I know I make a good decision by not letting them touch anything else on my car besides the oil. For 99% of driving the O’rielly axles with a lifetime warranty are fine. I’ve ran OEM because the dealer always replaced them under warranty but once that was up I would be running O’rielly axles under mine (if I wasn’t LT that is)

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

I'm hearing some nasty popping from the front end in 4X4 with wheels turned tight.

I called Dicks driveshaft, and precision drive line of Arizona. Dicks simply doesn't do foreign. The guy at Precision drive line, told me my only option from him would be a U-joint conversion, since I have a lift the CV style drive shafts are junk.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Import Direct is what Will @ Sierra Expeditions AND my toyota parts contact recommended. Factory are awesome but the price is insane. I've been on the ID for almost 55K and no issues yet, having the factory ones rebuilt because there will always be a next time.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
Import Direct is what Will @ Sierra Expeditions AND my toyota parts contact recommended. Factory are awesome but the price is insane. I've been on the ID for almost 55K and no issues yet, having the factory ones rebuilt because there will always be a next time.

If I was in better shape, I'd tackle the job myself. But I'd rather find someone who can do it for me, for a fair price...
So far this is the best deal I've found around here-

I talked to "Phoenix rack and axle", and they rebuild Toyota CV axles.

$129 each with lifetime warranty

$270 to replace both sides at "Airport Truck and Auto" shop next door.

$530 out the door

They said I'd have a one year "labor included" replacement, but after that only the CV shaft is warrantied.

I realize I can get get shafts and do the job myself for under $200, but my neck and back would protest for a long time. Heck, I didn't even have the gumption to rotate the tires myself...
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

I have used Phoenix rack and axle.. I brought in my own parts.. they did the labor..

azfj.org/index.php?nam...ic&t=12267

The only thing I suggest is to ensure they are not rushed, check their work -- they have been known to forget a inner seal replacement.

you might PM GliderAZ he has been known to do a great job!

azfj.org/index.php?nam...pic&t=3275
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

I made a custom tool for Glider to use for pulling them lickity split. Made another one in Ouray to pull out ProGolfer's when he tore his boot. I consider this a "Trail Repair" because we did this in a campsite, in the bush (Kinda).

About the only really special tool you need is a torque wrench capable of 175ftlbs, and a 35mm socket, that's what it takes on the axle nut when putting it back together.

www.oreillyauto.com/sh...Show%20All

you need these two because they are different sizes
www.oreillyauto.com/sh...Shaft+Seal

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

Nice job with the puller- Jimbolio

How hard is it to "pop" it back in?

Thanks again for the link to the seals. Great info, that I was unaware of.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axles - half shafts - CV Joints—-favored brand? Reply with quote

vaportrail wrote:
Nice job with the puller- Jimbolio

How hard is it to "pop" it back in?

Thanks again for the link to the seals. Great info, that I was unaware of.

popping it back in is simple, just slide it firmly and it goes.

may want to have a bit of diff fluid on-hand for the job as some can come out depending on the angle of the vehicle when you remove the shaft. If you just have that one side up, it's not really much but if you have both sides up it could get messy.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: