Tuesday, August 21, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Kowboy26
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2048

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 68
Total: 70
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: Finn > Home
02: JustinD > Forums

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Fire extinguishers
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Fire extinguishers
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a (better) fire extinguisher to keep in the FJ. Nothing major, but big enough to at least give me a chance at putting out an early-caught fire (possibly electrical!). I'd want to mouth in horizontal near the rear most right window in the cargo compartment.

Thoughts on type of extinguisher and mounting location?

donkeypuncher
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

i just ran what ever costco had on sale

mod_muscle
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

I have never researched this so I don’t have any good advice. But it is something I need to add to my FJ and trailer. Those “quick fists” or whatever they are called might be a good mounting solution but I wonder how easily the extinguisher can be removed. In a panic it might be a bad mounting decision. As for type of extinguisher...I forget the meaning of the A, B, C, etc but they represent the type of fire that extinguisher can be used on. Just be sure you choose one that works on the type of fires you think could happen. My memory is telling me there is one that can be used on all fire types...but don’t quote me on that.

Post up what you decide to go with. I’d like to see.

P. S. The best fire extinguisher is fire prevention. You mentioned electrical fire as a concern. That is a real concern that is too often a reality. If you do not understand wiring. Or don’t know how to properly wire in accessories...get help! Don’t just make it happen. Research and learn how to do it properly BEFORE adding any circuits to your vehicle. That is worth more than any fire extinguisher you could ever mount.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

Get an A-B-C type then you can handle all types of fire. A for plastics, B for gas/oil li guide C electrical type fires. I have mine that I got at home depot mounted on a quick fist

Last edited by Jimbolio on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

I drilled the supplied tap screws and mount with a Costco ABC right into the top of the subwoofer worked perfect!

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

Short answer: get an ABC and mount it within reach of the driver, secure but easily able to release. Also, have as large of a unit as you can reasonably keep - better to have 2, one easy to reach, one much larger.

My stupid long answer: Rolling Eyes

Quoted from someplace more 'official' than I:
"Fire extinguishers are categorized by letters and numbers. The most common letter types are A, B and C. A is meant to put out such combustibles as wood, paper and cloth. B is for flammable liquids and gasses such as kerosene, oil and gasoline. And C is for electrical fires and equipment such as televisions and wiring. The number preceding the A designation is the amount of retardant or capacity of the extinguisher. So a 2A extinguisher would contain the equivalent of about 2-1/2 gallons of water, a 4A would have double the capacity. The number preceding the B designation indicates the approximate square footage the extinguisher can handle. A 40 B means it can put out a 40-square-foot fire. The C designation does not have a corresponding number and simply means the retardant is non-conductive and can be used on electrical fires.
...Supplemental extinguishers for the kitchen may sometimes lack an A designation and have a 5BC to 10BC rating.
When it comes to fire extinguishers, the general rule is to always buy the largest model that everyone in the household can handle {or that you can reasonably fit in your vehicle.}"

Probably not a concern with most off-road vehicles, but with some cars: If you have mag wheels, DO NOT spray water on them should they start burning. You’ll cause an explosion. Use a Class D extinguisher if you have one, or let the fire department handle it (or just run away more).

Prevention is the key here, mod_muscle is spot on about electrical, it's not just about getting power from "AtoB" but sizing for the correct load, using wire that has the correct material for insulation to hold up to being used in a vehicle, properly sealing all connections, and making sure that movement won't cause a crack or tear in the insulator over time.

Another important consideration is being able to access the fire extinguisher in an emergency. I have seen several people mount small ones under the drivers seat. I think this is great if you also have a larger one out back.
I keep a small aerosol can style "fire spray" in the pocket behind the passenger seat, but current research indicates this may be somewhat useless Embarassed so I will replace it with a small "for real" extinguisher, and my original plan to mount a large one next to my CO2 tank, on the same bracket on back drivers side.

here's something I didn't think about as well, maintaining your fire extinguisher:
"Chances are that several people will come running with their extinguishers only to find that they don't work. Dry chemical extinguishers' media can compact inside when subjected to vibrations, whether it's mounted upright or on its side, and let's face it: Trail rides have a few bumps along the way. After a few years in the vehicle the extinguisher may well be useless. This is one of the reasons these extinguishers are supposed to be inspected every year in commercial buildings, even when just hanging on a wall. It's a good idea to bonk a dry chemical extinguisher against a tire, tree, or something a few times before attempting to use it."

I was gong to make a joke about installing a central Halotron or FE-36 system pulled from a decommissioned data center, but it looks like that is actually a thing www.kartek.com/parts/f...cable.html

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

Not to contradict Mark too much but working for the fire department, if your rig is on fire, you might be better off with one of these between your seats:

The small fire extinguishers that you buy at Home Depot will give you about 20 meaningful seconds of spray. If it's at all windy, a lot of that won't reach the target.

Mark is 100% right that you should have a bigger one (Take it from a person that used an ABC1A on a freeway fire driving in the Co car. It's just not worth getting hurt. If that 20-second blast doesn't put out the fire, back away. It's just better to let the insurance company take the pain than you. IMHO.
Here's some sourcing for a bigger one:
www.webstaurantstore.c...VyEALw_wcB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
SpoilerFJ84
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

All good advice...thank you. I'll post up what I come up with, should be some time before the summit.

TALON716
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire extinguishers Reply with quote

I have a 2lb bottle mounted to front passenger seat. It can hold a 5 lb bottle and I may switch to that or mount a second 2 or 5 lb bottle in the back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: