Wednesday, October 24, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: gearman24
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2059

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 183
Total: 183
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Intermittent Headlight Outage
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Intermittent Headlight Outage
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

My headlights have been randomly dysfunctional on the low-beam setting. High beams work fine consistently.

The particularly odd thing about this is that a whack to the light, whichever is "out," will make it turn on (the "hit it" band-aid works on both driver and passenger sides). The lights will stay on through the trip and often longer, but randomly won't turn on during a later drive.

Given that, it seems like I can rule out an electrical problem as well as a burnt out bulb... Any idea what the issue might be?

CRAZYJOHN
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

what kind of a connection is there at the head lamp? if it is a push on type pull it off and clean the prongs on the head lamp and plug it back in??

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

Get some electronic parts cleaner from Autozone or O'reilly's. The prongs get pretty dirty over time. If you also pick up a little electronic grease and coat them, it will extend the time between cleanings.

Not a bad idea to replace bulbs every 5 years or so.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

Mine started doing the same thing before they burned out
TOY4WD
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

Your FJ ain't cool unless you gotta "Fonzie" the headlights to get them to work. Lol.
azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

www.piaa.com/store/p/1...-Bulb.aspx

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

A scosche cheaper on the Amazons
www.amazon.com/PIAA-70...B005SG25AE

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

could indeed be the bulb. if the filament is sort of dangling, spot welding itself (poorly) when it makes contact again, this happens somewhat commonly.

The PIAA bulbs suck... really sadly too.

SYLVANIA SilverStar ULTRA have been my go-to replacement for a long time, thy are great quality, better light, and not just a ball-o-glare like many "upgrade" options.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

^^ Had them in my FJ for 6 years, great output, never a problem.

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

Never had issues with PIAA's. Sylvania Ultras are Bright but you'll be replacing them all the time if you drive a lot at night......

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

azflycaster wrote:
Never had issues with PIAA's. Sylvania Ultras are Bright but you'll be replacing them all the time if you drive a lot at night......

Six years, 75% off road, lots of night driving, never a problem. Can't say how reliable they are after a roll-over. Continue....

azflycaster
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

AZFJTOY wrote:
azflycaster wrote:

Six years, 75% off road, lots of night driving, never a problem. Can't say how reliable they are after a roll-over. Continue....

Lots 6 years you never even put 30,000 miles on that truck Laughing

AZFJTOY
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

azflycaster wrote:
AZFJTOY wrote:
azflycaster wrote:

Lots 6 years you never even put 30,000 miles on that truck Laughing

I only drove it for 4 wheeling, far more than you, and never rolled it Smile

Sylvania Ultra's...

Splagg
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Headlight Outage Reply with quote

Yeah these were PIAAs, put em in maybe 18 months ago give or take. Pretty sure it's the bulbs. I cleaned up the connections but even when I first pulled them off I could see there wasn't any buildup in/on the plugs.
Pulled the bulbs out, driver side looks fine but passenger had a loose filament.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: