Thursday, October 18, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: bmbFJ
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2057

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 36
Total: 36
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
I have to not break anything major before the 28th.... on me or the FJ...

big fail.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th Reply with quote

LESZMOR wrote:
I'm in as well Mikey

Sweet! Camping too?

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th Reply with quote

Mikey I'm out. FJ needs an alternator and I still have to PRE-RUN the border. Sorry.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th Reply with quote

So, did this run happen … or not?

Since there were no updates I'm thinking not.

I drove up the trail a ways yesterday and was very surprised to see some major bulldozer work has been taking place. The trail is pretty easy now as far as the equipment has gone. Beyond that, the foliage growing in the trail doesn't look like it's been disturbed for some time, and the next incline will likely require someone in the group to have a winch to extract vehicles.
zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th Reply with quote

Yup, it certainly happened.

They graded the beginning of the trail as you mentioned and the rock garden is now gone. But they stopped grading shortly after the waterfall . As you start climbing though, the trail is very challenging and difficult. Lots of boulders, rut outs, etc...much more so talhan before the fire

We made it all the way to the top, but probably would rate this as 3.0 minimum, more Ike a 3.5 for an inexperienced wheeler.

Fun and beautiful for sure though Smile

tanman
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th Reply with quote

Since I'm too old to risk walking out and or severely damaging my FJ, I stopped at that point.

Considering the amount of mechanized effort put into repairs it must be a Government job in motion there. I'm shocked they would undertake such costly work solely for off-road enthusiasts.

I'll be monitoring their progress. Cool
LESZMOR
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of running this with Mikey on July 28th & let me say it was an adventurous & fun day. I think it's safe to say we had a good time.

Tanman as far as the government job in motion thing that might be a little bit of a stretch. As Mikey said the grading was done only to the Water Fall so I think since it is so close to the main road, I think they just decided to make it accessible to the general public by grading it. Only my guess though

zzmikey
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Asbestos Point Run (and Camp) - July 28th Reply with quote

its also a fire road, so that is probably the main reason

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: