Saturday, June 23, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: JohnnyOutlaw
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2027

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 149
Total: 149
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Maxxis Razr MT
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Maxxis Razr MT
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Maxxis Razr MT Reply with quote

So picked up a set of Maxxis Razr MT today. Replaced my worn Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar. My MTR's were awesome offroad, but required frequent balancing for comfortable on road usage. I would buy those again if I was made of money. lol
I went with the Maxxis Razr's this time cause I really liked the tire due to the tuff looking sidewalls. I had originally thought of going with the Cooper STT Pro tires, but wanted to see how well the Maxxis Razr's would fair. There were very few reviews out there on the interwebs, but the few reviews were pretty positive for the offroad use of these tires.
I will come here to the AZFJ site and give my initial thoughts and my long term use thoughts on the tires.
The last opinion that put me over the edge on making this purchase was talking with Glider about how he liked the Maxxis tire brand. He really seemed to like how the Maxxis tires performed offroad.

Linky to the tires: www.youtube.com/watch?v=93NVe0ynzmM

Will be back to provide initial thoughts from a trip to Box Canyon for Wheelin' and Wenchin' on Sunday....

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Maxxis Razr MT Reply with quote

2/25-Initial thoughts on the Maxxis Razr MT. They are quiet tires as of this writing. I am not really too surprised at the quiet street use of the tires. The rubber compound seems to be pretty soft compared to the Maxxis Bighorn I carry for the spare. Not much of a comparo since the Bighorn has been on there for quite some time now and is pretty weathered and sun beat.

Off road use was phenomenal. Dropped these down to 14 psi to evaluate how well they would do at that psi range for rock climbing and overall comfort during this rocky trail. They hooked up nicely going through Florence Box Canyon trail. At the left side of the waterfall, which is the line most used by most off road vehicles that see the streets more than they see the trails, it climbed right up with out so much of a slip. I am pretty excited to see how well they hook up on more rocky trails out there. Since they are freshly installed tires, I did expect them to be very sticky on the rocks and they did not disappoint!
During the rest of the hill climb section on the back half of this trail, I never noticed any slipping during the steeper inclines and declines of the trail. There isn't anything very steep, but still, I noticed no slippage.
The after trail results....So after rocky trail usage, I usually am not happy to find a small chunk or two missing from my tires. This is kinda par for the course while out on Arizona's rocky terrain, so I was expecting to see a little trail damage, but knew I would not be disappointed when I found it. To my surprise, the tires had wear marks, but not one little ounce of rubber pulled away from the greedy rocks of our Arizona trails. I could see where the tires flattened out and the sidewalls made pretty good contact with whatever bit of trail that they could grab to make their way through whatever we were encountering at the time. In fact, they had more side wall marks than I had initially figured, but were in no way damaged at all.
Final assessment for first trail.......
I am happy with every aspect of performance thus far and am looking forward to more trials and trails with these tires on the FJ. They did great and I expect even better from them to come for their next year of usage.

Until next time......

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
debFJVT
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Maxxis Razr MT Reply with quote

A good friend runs Razr MTs so I actually considered them last year when going up to 35s, but decided to get your other option, Cooper STT Pros. I’m extremely happy with them, phenomenal on the toughest trails in Moab, Colorado, Vermont (and no chunking!) then fantastic road manners on long interstate travels. But I’m always interested in learning about other tires so will be looking for your updates Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: