Sunday, July 15, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Jjholen
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2033

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 108
Total: 108
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

Saturday run through White Mountain Apache Reservation through Tonto National Forest from Salt River Bridge on the 77/60 northeast of Globe, AZ and coming out on Young Highway next to Willow Springs Lake. We will go on into Payson and back home to Phoenix/Mesa.

This run goes through White Mountain Apache Reservation and requires a permit for this. Permits are per person, yes, per person and not per vehicle. Permits are $9 each and can be picked up at Sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa off of Greenfield Rd.

Meet up for the run is in Globe, AZ at Shell gas station at 1690 E Ash St., Globe, AZ., 85501.
Meet up is at 8am and departure from meet up is at 8:30am sharp.
This is a long run. Maps has it timed for 6 hours from East Mesa. We would like to be back in the Phoenix/Mesa by 5pm. We should have time to stop for pictures and a lunch break so bring something to eat on the trail.
Looking forward to exploring this area and hanging out with everyone.
If you would like to join us and have questions, please reach out to me for more info. Thanks.

Helluva ride to the Dark Side!
Sub4FJ
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

B1ackSh33p, I am interested but unfamiliar with this trail. Is a stock 4Runner adequate?

B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

Not sure if my FJ can make it. Never been on this trail before. If it gets too washed out we'll head back the way we came. So far there are 2 FJ's in so it should be a fun exploration adventure.

Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

Make sure your winch works. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

this is perking my interest.. ~maybe
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

Winch works. Recovery gear ready. Just have to put my skid plates back on and I'm good.
We are expecting to see some washouts of the road, but how bad, is yet to be determined.

Sub4FJ
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

B1ackSh33p what trails/Forest Roads/BIA Roads are you planning on taking - 12/30/33/34?

B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

Taking 30, 12, nf101 to Young Hwy and end up at Willow Springs Lake.

Sub4FJ
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

I called the White Mountain Apache Tribal Game and Fish. BIA Roads 12 and 30 are very rough in sections but passable. G & F did not recommend visiting the area this week because it is hunting season. They suggested waiting a week or two. They recommended BIA Road 1 along the Salt River to Gleason Flat.

B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have seen BIA 1 and it can be accessed by way of NF203/Cherry Creek Rd. and traversed on through to N96 and end up at the Salt River and even eventually at the Salt River Bridge.
Some sections should be a little rough, but not impassable. Should be fun finding out though.

4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

B1ackSh33p wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have seen BIA 1 and it can be accessed by way of NF203/Cherry Creek Rd. and traversed on through to N96 and end up at the Salt River and even eventually at the Salt River Bridge.
Some sections should be a little rough, but not impassable. Should be fun finding out though.

I drove that section not long ago, nothing was what I's consider rough. A Subaru Outback could easily do it at speed.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:
B1ackSh33p wrote:

I drove that section not long ago, nothing was what I's consider rough. A Subaru Outback could easily do it at speed.

Referring to our original route, not the suggested route.

I've been on the Salt River road on Apache Reservation land and it was just a dusty trail like Apache Trail from Tortilla Flat to Roosevelt lake. Nothing rough, maybe a little washboardy, but that's about it. Hard to access the Salt River from it, too. Gotta hike down to the river so no picnics by the river from your vehicle. There are some cool spots at the beginning of the trail though. Was kinda trashed out when I was there last, but it could be nice if someone cleaned it up.

calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

scheduling conflict -- I'm a no go.
B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
scheduling conflict -- I'm a no go.

Next time, man. We'll be planning a few more soon.

B1ackSh33p
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: White Mnt to Willow Springs Lake Run 11/4 Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in getting this trail run review written. Had it done, but my computer decided it wasn't good enough and dumped it when I went to submit it. Oh, well. Here is another review with some added pics and map to oogle over.

Anyways.....

Made the trip up from the Salt River Bridge off the 77 NE of Globe. This trail starts on the White Mountain Apache Reservation where the bridge is at. Here at the start you can chill and enjoy the river, the bridge, the basic beautiful scenery of the area. There is a spot under the bridge where you can settle in for the long ride and air down and pose for some pictures on the rocks along the Salt River. This spot can be accessed by any vehicle with decent clearance.
From there you begin the long trek along the Salt River for 6.5 miles. At the end of about 6.5 miles you'll find yourself at the trailhead to Cibecue Falls, this is an optional addition to the adventure. You can look up the falls and maybe just enjoy that alone since you now know where it is. Enjoy!
To continue down the trail, you just stay on the main (and usually only) trail. There are some side routes so be careful of this. These roads aren't really marked really well, so it would really help out to plot it on GPS before your trip. There are plenty of beautiful bluffs and great scenery along the way. The road was never bad at all, but I would not recommend going in without 4 wheel drive and some decent clearance. We did encounter a few rocky areas, but nothing we ever really needed to engage 4 wheel drive for other than to drop in 4 low and let the gearing slow you down on some of the downhill portions.
All these roads, as stated before, are not marked well, so after 16 miles past the falls parking lot, you'll begin the 30 trail, finally a trail that is named and marked.
As you drive the 30 trail you'll enter a valley where there are corrals for the Oak Creek Ranch. As you get closer to the ranch the road will come to a "T", this is where the trail changes to Trail 12 on the map. Here you make a left towards the ranch. You don't enter the ranch gate as it only leads to the ranch, so instead you make a right at the ranch gate and bypass the ranch. I am not sure if the ranch is abandoned or not. It seems to be in good condition.
After the ranch there are two trails that head NE, but stay headed NW instead. Maps show the other two trails coming to a dead end. After 4 miles you come to the Oak Creek crossing. This was a small running creek in a beautiful area.
After another 4 miles, you'll come to what I referred to as dos equis airstrip, since it has tow sets of trees or bushes in the shape of an "X" on the map.
Now, here is where it gets a bit tricky......According to the map, you NEED TO TAKE A LEFT AT 4.7 MILES FROM THE CREEK or you'll be up the creek. We missed the turn off and continued up what we thought was the 12 that was supposed to transition to the 101 at the Tonto NF land and Apache Rez land. As we continued down the path, it really got enclosed by brush since it had not been used in decades, literally. So if you decide to trek this, and you get to this point, and it gets really brushy, you know you've gone too far. Your welcome for the pointer.
As we continued down the path, we noticed the NF101 trail running parallel with us to the west. We found a creative way to eventually move a downed tree from the trail and get ourselves to the trail we were supposed to be on. Ask me about it in person some time. Funny story. lol. Once you get yourself to the NF101 by way of the power line road you'll be able to get to the 512, the Young Hwy. Once the 512 is reached, it's your choice to either go north to the 260 and come out across the street from Willow Springs Lake or you can go left towards Young and down the 288 near Roosevelt Lake.
The trail took us 7.5 hours to get to the Young Hwy, but we had a few unexpected route issues and stopped for plenty of picture opportunities and about 40 min lunch. From the Young Hwy it should take about 2.5 hours to get back to Mesa/Phoenix through Payson or 3 hours to get back to Mesa by way of Young/Globe.
We will be doing this track again in the future and will announce it when we plan it.
You'll need the White Mountain Apache daily recreation permit which is $9 per person, and you need one per person, and not per vehicle. We did not encounter one person on this trail. We did hear a vehicle go by as we explored an off shoot trail, but never encountered a single person until we came out on the Young Hwy. The roads were all covered in grass and had not been used often in the past. This is a very remote trail, so make sure you do not go it alone.

[img]http://Capture by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_090557 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_090722 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]20171104_095402 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_100240 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_100757 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_100801 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_102816 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_104059 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_104130 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_112236 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_113234 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_131008 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[img]http://20171104_132023 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/img]
[mov width=320 height=300]http://Project001 by Danny Martinez, on Flickr[/mov]

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: