Sunday, November 19, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: geibral
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1984

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 61
Total: 61
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › Train bridge that goes over Gila river
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Train bridge that goes over Gila river
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

Has any been to the steel train bridge that goes over the Gila river out by box canyon? On satellite images, it looks like a trail gets pretty close to the bridge and tunnel., from the Price road entrance to box canyon.

Topo maps and satellite images show a definite route from the Florence-Kelvin highway on the south side of the Gila.
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

I walked to it from Cochran once, pretty cool.

check out my BLOG

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like a pretty interesting area.
tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

If seeing a random-ass short train bridge and tunnel in the middle of nowhere sounds cool, it will not disappoint. Years after I was out there I found out a bunch of mountain bike / "bikepacking" people I know ride through the tunnel and across the bridge as way to cross the river when they do trips in the area.

check out my BLOG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
JustinD
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

You can get all the way to the bridge.

We've stopped there and explored around a little....walked the bridge and out to the other side of the tunnel.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

Coordinates?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

JustinD wrote:
You can get all the way to the bridge.

We've stopped there and explored around a little....walked the bridge and out to the other side of the tunnel.

From Price road?
JustinD
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

33.094678, -111.182454

goo.gl/maps/JRiDmB89YnT2

nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

JustinD

Can we get there from the price road entrance to box canyon or do we have to come in from the Florence-Kelvin highway?
JustinD
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

I did Florence Kelvin...much faster.

To come in from the north side of the river, you'd pretty much have to do the coke ovens trail and keep going past them, but that's a pretty long one.

There are a couple places that you can cross the River too....one by Cochran if you take Florence Kelvin too the end there...and another one kinda by the bridge.

Here is a screen grab of the area...blue line is Florence Kelvin, and the 2 yellow highlighted areas are washes that you can take to the left and go straight to the bridge area.

tibaal89
Trail to Destruction
Trail to Destruction

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

The maps claim that Price Road terminates very close to the West tunnel entrance (N side of river). That's visible on the sat images as well.

check out my BLOG

JustinD
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

You could probably walk to it from the Price road side....I was just more interested in being by the river also with the FJ. Had some fun crossing back and forth a few times and grilled lunch along the river as well.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

tibaal89 wrote:
The maps claim that Price Road terminates very close to the West tunnel entrance (N side of river). That's visible on the sat images as well.

That’s what I saw, also. Just curious if anyone has taken that route.
nimrag
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Train bridge that goes over Gila river Reply with quote

We tried from price road today, without success. We followed the road that parallels the tracks as far as we could. The road ended and we were still about 1.5 miles away.

We did box canyon and went to the sugar shack and reymert on the way, so it was still a good day. Only 5 other vehicles that we crossed paths with.

Along the way, my niece and the waterfall

www.instagram.com/p/Ba...litpeasoup
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: