Thursday, April 19, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Membership:
Latest: charlezevanildo
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2008

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 128
Total: 128
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks that is what I have. I'll play around with it. Any ideas on what I'm looking for? What should the trim levels be?

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

www.easterncatalytic.c...stic-tool/

This will explain it a bit more. On Toyota''s I believe over 15% trim will cause MIL light to come on. Mine runs around 5% (+/-) and within 1% between banks.

TLCA# 18990
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

A lot of FJ's had cats go bad before 100K. Not sure if it's from more off roading and vibration or what? Take a hand held laser thermometer and there's a way to test the cats. one should be cooler than the other. If it's vice versa then your cats are probably bad. This played out on mine especially drivers side cat.

spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Based on the OBDII sensors:
The cats are running plenty hot, all four of them are above 900 degrees, and higher when driving. They seem to be working quite well from that perspective.

The specific test that fails is this one:
photos.app.goo.gl/5W0sGe6hN0zIGr8N2

Does this voltage being low represent a lean or rich condition?

The fuel trim seems to be within the +/- 15% all the time. They Long term trim levels do get upwards of 14.1% when driving at freeway speeds up an incline.

I'm wondering at this point if the fuel pump could be struggling and causing a lean condition pushing that one test below the threshold?

I've also noticed that while the light tends to come on after a fill-up, the specific test in question starts failing when the tank is almost empty; another peace of evidence pointing towards a lean condition.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Fuel pump, clogged intake sock is exactly what I was thinking when you said the LTFT reaches 14%. Good time to do the URD high flow Walbro fuel pump upgrade. Comes with external filter.

TLCA# 18990
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Had to replace mine after El Camino Del Diablo. Pricey part from Toyota. Didn't seem to be too hard of a chore to replace.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: