Monday, December 11, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: AzRon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1993

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 75
Total: 75
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

So back in May I got rear-ended. The body damage is fixed, but there's still another problem that started right after the accident that the body shop said they couldn't find any reason for, and thus wasn't fixed. Now I have to get a mechanic that can find the problem, and prove it was caused by the accident, so I can get reimbursed for the repair.

It starts off with everything looking normal: no check engine light, everything running fine, etc.

I fill up the tank (don't top off, just let it fill up until the pump turns off automatically). Everything still seems fine.

By the second full warm-up cycle the check engine light comes on. It says it's the catalytic converter efficiency. P0420 and P0430.

Two more warm up cycles later and the check engine light turns off again. It stays that way until I fill up again.

As soon as a fill up again, the pattern repeats.

If I don't fill up all the way (I did this once to 3/4 of a tank) the problem doesn't occur, so I'm sure it has to do with filling up the tank some how.

Any ideas on what I need to get looked into? Any shops out there that are really good at fixing really odd problems like this one?

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone else have a Narcissistic Sociopath for a wife? Any suggestions on how to deal with that would be helpful too.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
CRAZYJOHN
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

evap system may be flooded with fuel???

Homedad
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Lay under the rear and look up....

Yup, that's it.

The charchol box.

Loose hose, leak, tiny ass crack in box, any thing ???

Mine was cracked on TOP so we had to pull it to see the problem.
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Both of the above. Start with dropping the charcoal cannister looking for anything not right, then drop tank and repeat.

azfj owners are the best
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

You need new cats plain and simple. I was throwing those codes for a long time. New cats and light has not come back on since. I even used the same 02 sensors.

1 year later I was getting an exhaust leak. Short story...got them replaced under warranty for the flange warping. Find a local shop and save thousands$ instead of the Toyota dealer.

eta: Do you have any rattles coming from your FJ? The impact probably knocked stuff loose in the cats. Mine was rattling at 20 mph.

somjon
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Where did you get your new cats? I think I need to replace mine also.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

spaldam .. has there been a resolution?
fjlarry
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

somjon wrote:
Where did you get your new cats? I think I need to replace mine also.
Talk to Jose at Garcia Auto and Muffler. 55th AVE and Van Buren area. He'll take care of you. Tell him Doug with the Black FJ sent you.602 44eight two 3 one one

spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

If I used 91 octane Gas the light doesn't come on.

When I use cheaper gas, the failed tests seem to get triggered right when the car is started, but then go away after it warms up. I didn't think they should trigger before the car warms up, but that's what I'm seeing using the Torque App.

From what I've seen and experienced, Toyota cat's tend to last well into the 200K miles, and mine just hit 175K, so if they are bad I would be left wondering what caused them to go bad this soon.

KD7YKB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Photo Gallery
glideraz
Baja Champ
Baja Champ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Your knock sensor may be going bad...

azfj owners are the best
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

That would trigger too much fuel being pumped in, causing the cat efficiency tests to fail?

KD7YKB
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Really need to monitor short and long term fuel trims to get an idea of what is going on.

TLCA# 18990
spaldam
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

Is there a way to monitor that with an android app?

KD7YKB
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Check Engine Light Behavior - Need ideas Reply with quote

spaldam wrote:
Is there a way to monitor that with an android app?

Yes. With an app called Torque Pro and OBDII Bluetooth adapter.

TLCA# 18990
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: