Friday, August 17, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Jsohne
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2046

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 251
Total: 252
Who Is Where:
 Members:
Hidden: 1

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings › This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am
Want to plan an event? Trail run, expedition, or just a friendly get together? Have a question about a specific trail not listed in our review section? General trip reports can also go here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum IndexExpeditions, trail runs, or gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

enterconnect wrote:
Sounds like fun, I'm 50/50. My daughter isn't feeling that great this evening. CB channel?

No CB for me.. ham only Wink

TLCA# 18990
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

My antenna won't be here until Tuesday, so no cb for me either.

I'm gonna have to look into ham radio. Seems pretty popular around here.

See y'all at 0830, at the only McDonalds in Wickenburg...

yee ha-
enterconnect
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

I'm out, you guys have fun !!
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

Wow, what a fun ride-

Me and Paul (toyo22r) made the run via our pre planned route. We took 60 to Constellation rd. past the rodeo arena, and took a left at the fork where the sign points towards sofie's flat.

Then after you cross a wash, and climb up a small switchback, the jeep trail turns off Blue Tank rd. to the right.

There were a couple of rocky, rutted out spots, and I may have balked if we would have been on the trail alone, but we made it through no problem.

Paul knew where an old mine shaft is dug into the mountain, right above the wash. We stopped there and checked it out for a few, and watched other folks play in the sandy wash below.

The last section, had a rock ledge, that was kinda hairy going down. I was concerned that my stock bumper would snag, but again... we made it!
I'm starting to realize that the fj is more capable, and has more clearance than it seems, when your sitting in the driver's seat.

We drove through the canyon, and splashed through to the end of the water. We found some pretty soft sand in the deeper water, but nothing extreme,
then turned around and found a shady spot to let the kids play in the river for a while. Then followed the river bed out to rincon rd. We even made it back to Wickenburg by lunch time, as planned.

Me and my son both had a blast, and plan to do it again with the wife along soon.
itsafjthing
AZ Pinstriped
AZ Pinstriped

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

Glad you guys made it back and had a good time. I apologize that we got seperated.

toyo22r
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

Perfect example why communication is so important, 4 trucks, 1 CB and 1 Ham. No bueno. While on the trail i chatted with a fellow in WA state via IRLP on ham. Can't do that with a CB Laughing

Yes had a blast and was great meeting all you guys.

TLCA# 18990
Mick
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

We looked up and you was gone! Sad
No worries we had a excellent day in the Hassayampa, both north and south of Wickenberg. Lots of water and gone real fast in soft sand. Made a stop at the Vulture Mine. I revealed my secret camp and shooting spot.

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

Cool-

Glad you guys had a good day also.

I guess I pulled a little bit too far around the corner, and you didn't see us waiting on the other side of the wall at McDonalds.

Paul is right, we need radios. Hopefully the I'll at least have a cb for the next run. I'm interested in ham as well, but from the looks of the pre test I looked at, it may be a while before I'm licensed, and ready to start shopping-

Nice to meet you guys, and look forward to more meetups in the future.
Mick
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

Yea, I need to do some studying too.
I'm trying to be kind a hobby prepper, so I suppose, it follows that I get a ham license. Should be a fun and useful thing.

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

I started reading flash cards for the technician license on this site.

hamstudy.org/

I overheard someone talking about a rally license?

Is that one easier?

It's been 20 years, or longer, since I've put any thought into Ohm's law...

Who was Ohm anyway???
duner
Expeditioneer
Expeditioneer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

Just keep taking the practice test, till you can get better than 75 percent and you will be ready. Good luck. I have CB and ham and they both serve their purpose. Paul is correct, communication is very important especially when you have a group together.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

vaportrail wrote:
I started reading flash cards for the technician license on this site.

hamstudy.org/
Good choice, take the tests on there

I overheard someone talking about a rally license?
Don't waste your time

Is that one easier? A 11 yo boyscout can pass this test Tech HAM)

It's been 20 years, or longer, since I've put any thought into Ohm's law...

Who was Ohm anyway???
Georq Simon Ohm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

duner wrote:
Just keep taking the practice test, till you can get better than 75 percent and you will be ready. Good luck. I have CB and ham and they both serve their purpose. Paul is correct, communication is very important especially when you have a group together.

I followed your advise, and I'm glad I did. Not sure if I was studying the wrong flashcards or what, but the practice tests seem much easier.

I already got lucky, and scored an 82

When's the next test?
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

An 11 year old boy scout can pass it?

Maybe I should be studying with my 9 year old son-

He's pretty darn smart too...
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: This Saturday 9/2, McDonalds Wickenburg, 8:30am Reply with quote

Tests are usually once a month.
www.arrl.org/find-an-a...am-session

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> Expeditions, trail runs, or gatherings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: