Wednesday, December 12, 2018

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: jameswise
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 2065

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 73
Total: 73
Who Is Where:

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › skid plates?
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
skid plates?
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: skid plates? Reply with quote

I serviced the front diff, and the factory skid plate is smashed up on one corner. It was a real pain to remove, and I don't even want to try to get it back on there...

I need to get the fj serviced up, and ready for a fall camping trip to Sedona.

Can anyone give me advice on what kind of skid plates/armor plating I should research?

I don't want to go overboard at all. I'm interested in lower cost parts, and only what I really need to hit an intermediate Sedona trail.

Thanks in advance for any replies-
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

I for one am a big advocate for real sturdy and reliable skid plates (not aluminum) ...

With that said BudBuilt budbuilt.com/FJ-Cruiser_c_12.html

you can buy sets or only the piece you want.. which I am guessing is the front bash skid / front skid

07 - 09
budbuilt.com/07-09-FJ-..._p_99.html
10 onward
budbuilt.com/10-14-FJ-...p_111.html

you might also think about the mid skid

if you run an aftermarket bumper .. and the bumper did not come with a filler piece ... BudBuilt has you covered
budbuilt.com/search.as...te&search=

Bud is a top notch person and VERY customer oriented... can't buy the set right now.. don't worry he will discount future pieces for you (shipping is the biggest reason why you might not want to wait to get all the pieces you want separately)

I've had mine on now for about 8 years .. and they have taken abuse in all terrains and weather with no signs of fatigue or failure yet.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

what year FJ?
I have the AllPro Apex front/transmission/transfer case set and it has taken an obscene amount of punishment, still holding up.
I don't see the APEX line listed on the AllPro site anymore, it's a dwindling market I guess Sad

If you just want cheap and now, you may be able to get someone's take-off stock skid for cheap. There are changes from 2010+ so be sure to specify what you have.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

I've got an '07

It had an obscene amount of water in the front diff.

I need to get out there on my concrete pad and clean up the mess. Completely overshot my oil pan.

There must have been a gallon of water in there on top of the oil. The pressure from all that water made it shoot out of the drain hole like a cannon.

Me and junior took it out for a test run with no skid plate.

I really love this jeep, but I feel it needs lower gearing even with the 285 tires that are on it now.

We got it hung up a few times, but a push of the atrac button, and cruised right on up, over and through.
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

vaportrail wrote:
I've got an '07

It had an obscene amount of water in the front diff.

I need to get out there on my concrete pad and clean up the mess. Completely overshot my oil pan.

There must have been a gallon of water in there on top of the oil. The pressure from all that water made it shoot out of the drain hole like a cannon.

Me and junior took it out for a test run with no skid plate.

I really love this jeep, but I feel it needs lower gearing even with the 285 tires that are on it now.

We got it hung up a few times, but a push of the atrac button, and cruised right on up, over and through.

HOLY COW!!! Considering how high up in the engine bay the front diff and transfer case breathers are, that must have been in DEEP.
The gearing is pretty good even on 285's, maybe something is dragging you down (like water in all the fluids). With that much water in the front diff, I would change the fluids out on the transfer case and rear diff too, they're probably just as bad. See how it drives after that.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
CRAZYJOHN
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

JEEP??

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

CRAZYJOHN wrote:
JEEP??

I thought that's what the j stood for in fj.

OK, I googled it. The f means gas, b for diesel and the j does in fact stand for "jeep". Fiat does not own the word jeep, just the brand name.

(I love bj's, but never really considered owning one until now...)
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

4GaugeSurprise wrote:

HOLY COW!!! Considering how high up in the engine bay the front diff and transfer case breathers are, that must have been in DEEP.

I was wondering about how deep it must have been in water, to let it get inside-

The gearing is good enough, but I'd like it to be lower...

I was up at day break this morning, fiddling with the fj. I ordered a half case of amsoil severe gear oil and a pump last week, and today was the day I did the service on front and rear. The rear was black, but not "that" bad. The front? I had to deal with a bent skid plate, that didn't want to come off. Then the fill plug was torqued down super tight. I had to fiddle around with a big cheater on my long handle ratchet to get it broke loose. Leads me to believe the front diff HAD 120,000 on the stock oil with the rest of the case filled up with water. SMH-

I'd love to get the assembled 3rd members with 4.88 gears. But the cost makes me want to get every mile I can out of the stock (3.73 I think) gears.
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

if you like playing in that deep of water often.. might i suggest the scuba mod. basically using rubber tubing to move the diff / transfer case breathers up higher.

and dont worrry I'll do the heavy lifting to find the thread:
www.azfj.org/index.php...9578#29578
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:
if you like playing in that deep of water often.. might i suggest the scuba mod. basically using rubber tubing to move the diff / transfer case breathers up higher.

Wow, thanks for this post-

That's a great mod, and I'm planning to do it.

Plus, it totally fits with my concern about adding a lot of weight to the fj. I know the heavy steel plates are better for sliding over rocks. But if I continue to add hundreds of pounds of heavy duty steel parts, will that extra weight bog it down in mud and loose sand?

Most of the time, we'll have it in the sand, mud, and trying to cross through water. I was wanting to see sedona, but not planning to do any of the tougher trails.

We won't be trying to cross running river type water though...

I hear they charge a stupid driver fee up in Wickenburg now that might run you $10,000 or more, if you get washed up the river a few feet off the road, and need a rescue.
RideAndHover
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:

I'll take note of this as well. It might come in handy in the future. Smile
calichaos
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

vaportrail wrote:
Plus, it totally fits with my concern about adding a lot of weight to the fj. I know the heavy steel plates are better for sliding over rocks. But if I continue to add hundreds of pounds of heavy duty steel parts, will that extra weight bog it down in mud and loose sand?..

no sure how a scuba mode fits a weight concern.. but...

these few steel parts for skids will NOT bog your FJ down power wise .. the biggest theft of power is larger taller / wider tires with meaty tread on stock gearing.

sure you will have a few more pounds on the truck with steel skids.. so if REALLY concerned

1) lose the weight in the humans on board
2) lose the weight in the cargo you carry
3) be happy dont worry
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

If you bought your FJ with MPG in mind, you made a bad choice. You might consider purchasing a jeep Trail Hawk, just ask AZFJTOY how well they sip the juice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

We test drove a Trail Hawk-

Went with RCI 3/16 steel.

They look decent, and shipping is only $30-

rcimetalworks.com/07-0...-09-01.htm
dGunther
Mall Queen
Mall Queen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: skid plates? Reply with quote

calichaos wrote:

That's a pretty good mod! We will include this mod for the FJ right after we finished installing the Smittybilt parts for the current Jeep project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: