Monday, December 11, 2017

We're not a club... so you're not a member!
Toggle Content   User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: AzRon
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1993

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 76
Total: 76
Who Is Where:

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content   AZFJ Forums

Forums › Technical Discussion › 4x4 Tech › High pitch squeal in 4H
 SearchSearch   Members ListMembers   ChatChat 
High pitch squeal in 4H
Howtos, reviews, and gear questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: High pitch squeal in 4H Reply with quote

I started to notice a sound after wheeling for an hour or so yesterday.
A high pitch squeal type of sound. I shifted into 2H and it stopped. Shifted down to 4H and it started again.

After a car wash, and checking under for signs of damage, or leaks, everything looks good.

The trail was dry and very dusty, and after much thought, I'm wonderiing if It might be the brakes? It kinda sounded like a dry, fingernail chalkboard sound, but not sure.

Does the fj have an auto braking system running in 4H that could be dragging and making a sound like that?
4GaugeSurprise
Obstacle Crusher
Obstacle Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: High pitch squeal in 4H Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the brakes. Transfer case, front driveshaft, or front diff. Grease the seems in the driveshaft and check fluids in the transfer case and diff. Also look for something dragging on or grinding against the front driveshaft.

** WARNING ** Many things I recommend are dangerous and probably foolish - but will probably work. **
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: High pitch squeal in 4H Reply with quote

Hmmm-

I took it out for a romp today, and everything sounded fine with a short cruise in 4H.
Jimbolio
Master Wheeler
Master Wheeler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: High pitch squeal in 4H Reply with quote

Maybe your pulleys?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: High pitch squeal in 4H Reply with quote

I just got a quote from Dick's driveshaft to re-gear it (I'm thinking 4.56) and replace all the bearings. 2800 plus... out the door.

Seems high, but considering the complex front end on the fj, vs the jeep, I guess it's justified.
MAMBA
Trail Runner
Trail Runner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: High pitch squeal in 4H Reply with quote

For the squeal look into da pulleys b4 spending all that $, I thought i had a tranny problemo once, turns out if was a couple pulleys...

vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: High pitch squeal in 4H Reply with quote

I'm having the transmission serviced, and all the drive line fluid inspected/topped off next week.

I'm thinking I'll need a budget of 5k minimum if we decide to put low gears/rebuild the drive line, 5 new wheels and 35's. Another few grand for a decent set of bumpers, and a winch, then add some lighting, tint and headers and I'm already hitting the 10k mark...

Maybe I'll leave the fj the way it is, and see how long it lasts. It's pretty fun the way it's set up now, lifted with 285 tires.
vaportrail
Dusty Truck
Dusty Truck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: High pitch squeal in 4H Reply with quote

Differentials are both in very bad need of an oil change. Yikes, I wonder if the past owner ever had them serviced?

I ordered some amsoil severe gear, and planning to do the oil change at home, to save $100.

Hopefully the gears that are in it will last a long time, bathed in some fresh, high quality lube...

If not, I think I'll try the assembled third members instead of having the axle shop rebuild 'em.

Lots of good info on here-
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: